$3000 Engagement Ring - Cheapest Way To Have Shipped From U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

torreylee

Oct 24, 2009
www.mesothelioma-lawsuit-advice.com
Hi,

I'd REALLY appreciate any words of wisdom from someone who knows the best way around paying an arm and leg for custom fees.

I'm buying an engagement ring from a company in the U.S., any idea if having it sent to a friend and having them send it to me in non-commercial packaging so it doesn't look like a purchase would work?

- Torreylee

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

Hi,

I'd REALLY appreciate any words of wisdom from someone who knows the best way around paying an arm and leg for custom fees.

I'm buying an engagement ring from a company in the U.S., any idea if having it sent to a friend and having them send it to me in non-commercial packaging so it doesn't look like a purchase would work?

- Torreylee

3K is not a lot, but why not buy a ticket and have someone deliver it.
The real question is would you like to have it in the DR and wear it.
To some Dominicans 3K is a lot, worth enough to rob, kill, or cut off the finger.
One may have a large member but does one have to flaunt it?
There is a time and place for everything is my wisdom.:cheeky:

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
You can just pop it in a fedex box at their office, claim its XYZ and let it fly...I sent many things like that to Indonesia before getting married..It was not a ring, but other jewelry, gifts, etc...I always marked it as non valued...I do the same here on the Metro..Certain things you cannot put on their bus, but so far, they never questioned anything, same as fedex from my experience..

If you're worried about doing it, then get insurance on the ring first which you should always do anyways in case the diamond falls out..

Anthony

Hi,

- Torreylee

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
You can just pop it in a fedex box at their office, claim its XYZ and let it fly...I sent many things like that to Indonesia before getting married..It was not a ring, but other jewelry, gifts, etc...I always marked it as non valued...I do the same here on the Metro..Certain things you cannot put on their bus, but so far, they never questioned anything, same as fedex from my experience..

If you're worried about doing it, then get insurance on the ring first which you should always do anyways in case the diamond falls out..

Anthony

Items that arrive to the DR via FedEx, UPS or DHL are routinely opened for Customs Inspection. A while ago I ordered some English as a Second Language textbooks from Cambridge University Press in London and the package was held up in Customs for some time because of a demand for duty to be paid.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
go to ups get a book cut a hole in it put the ring in get the insurance let the people at the officer see the ring and mail it for 50 dollars and just pick it up at the ups store in santo domingo santiago pop were ever you are. i had some papers make it there the next day

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Odd, never had any issue and if its marked no value, they never pay attention to it...Any idea how many packages are shipped via FEDEX. Just a thought...And if they did open it, what? YO!! bring my jewelry loop over here, need to see if this puppy is real,, ;)

That said, do they not ship directly to the address on the package? This is not a pick up which I get, they do open those..I don't see it, and again, shipped many times to Jakarta, went right to the house it was addressed too. But hey, I don't want the OP to lose his ring either, so maybe its different here in the land of the lost...WILL!!!! Get Holly, her ring is here..

Items that arrive to the DR via FedEx, UPS or DHL are routinely opened for Customs Inspection. A while ago I ordered some English as a Second Language textbooks from Cambridge University Press in London and the package was held up in Customs for some time because of a demand for duty to be paid.

Let someone place it on thier finger and bring it down to you.

I would never buy/waste 3000us on a gold ring i deep inside know will end up on a CompraYvente.

(it is siad you alwys will hear the truth from drunks and children, so take your pick. Good night)

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have had many of my packages sent from the US via FedEx opened. I would have someone bring it if possible. I would not trust sending it. That is just my opinion.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
What exactly is a diamond? It's just a crystalline form of pure carbon, usually colorless, mostly used for cutting in heavy industry. and not worth more then a few pennies in "real" value.

The problem is that only a certain amount of commercially cut diamonds are allocated to the public each year, which creates a "hyper value" and strong market/demand for them. It's one of the truly last monopolized markets still around today. If DeBeers and other companies decided to "flood" the market with even 50% of the diamonds they're sitting on, your diamond would be worth pennies. Emeralds are more rare and there is no monopoly on them anywhere near like the diamond industry. In fact, other gemstones are rarer then diamonds.

Diamonds were so plentiful in South Africa & Australia, that hundreds of people were hired to walk in a straight line and pick them up from the surface of the ground. There are countless pictures of this. DeBeers was smart in hording diamonds and then sitting on them until the market value increased to the point where they skyrocketed in value.

DeBeers genius was that they only "trickled" out a few diamonds onto the market place, and hence, we have what we have today--which is essentially a hyper market for a piece of fossilized carbon which is essentially just a rock, nothing more. The diamond market has always been a war of supply vs demand.

There must be infinite amounts of better ways of showing one's love for someone then throwing a lot of money at a piece of carbon.

Nevertheless, good luck.

Frank

Last edited:

torreylee

Oct 24, 2009
What exactly is a diamond? It's just a crystalline form of pure carbon, usually colorless, mostly used for cutting in heavy industry. and not worth more then a few pennies in "real" value.

The problem is that only a certain amount of commercially cut diamonds are allocated to the public each year, which creates a "hyper value" and strong market/demand for them. It's one of the truly last monopolized markets still around today. If DeBeers and other companies decided to "flood" the market with even 50% of the diamonds they're sitting on, your diamond would be worth pennies. Emeralds are more rare and there is no monopoly on them anywhere near like the diamond industry. In fact, other gemstones are rarer then diamonds.

Diamonds were so plentiful in South Africa & Australia, that hundreds of people were hired to walk in a straight line and pick them up from the surface of the ground. There are countless pictures of this. DeBeers was smart in hording diamonds and then sitting on them until the market value increased to the point where they skyrocketed in value.

DeBeers genius was that they only "trickled" out a few diamonds onto the market place, and hence, we have what we have today--which is essentially a hyper market for a piece of fossilized carbon which is essentially just a rock, nothing more. The diamond market has always been a war of supply vs demand.

There must be infinite amounts of better ways of showing one's love for someone then throwing a lot of money at a piece of carbon.

Nevertheless, good luck.

Frank

You are absolutely right, but chicks dig them soooooo.... Diamond ring it is.

torreylee

Oct 24, 2009
Thanks for all the replies my people, I have had so many packages opened in Customs that I am a bit scared to have it sent.

I don't know what they would demand and I don't trust that it wouldn't somehow go missing either.

I think you guys are right who say to have someone bring it with them by plane. I will likely do that.

Thanks again.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Heres an idea. Buy a cubic zirconia the same size. If you are still with your girl in five years substitute the real thing.
Having someone wear the item is the best way.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Curiously, what would be the import duty for a $3000 ring? also, is it determined on the purchase price or the value to sell an item. Mark-up is ridiculously high on jewelry. Wouldn't a round-trip ticket from MIA and a night or two in a hotel equal the import duty?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Ask here if there is anyone coming form your city in the US to whereever in the DR. Pay them $25.00 to deliver it. We've had several such requests for couriers here on this forum over the last couple of years while I have been around. ANd they've all rec'd a good outcome thanked openly here on thi sselfsame forum. Try it.
Der Fish

Most people would mule it for free, you would charge someone?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I would be delighted to fly to the US and pick it up for you, any time you like. It may take a while to get back to you - maybe not in your lifetime! ;)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Show me a person who says they work for free and I'll show you a liar.

Kind opinionated there Fish, no? There are untold # of people who work for free - they're called VOLUNTEERS, and God bless them all. I can name a bunch of them right here on DR1, doing a world of good.

I would *never* charge anyone for a favor.

And to the OP - be very careful who you trust that ring with, stones are easy to switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.