Baseball Schools

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Has anyone gone to watch practice/play etc. at any of the MLB sponsors baseball camps here? just curious if they are open for public drop in to watch? Where in SD?

I have a Dominican friend(Danny) who is in late 40s, he was signed by the Orioles back in 1987 after a late drop in at their tryout/scouting center in Santiago, He surprised everyone by throwing 94mph as a teenager.
Sadly injuries prevented him from having a successful career.

Anyway this guy has just started a Baseball camp in Monte Cristi, his hometown, he is such a passionate and goodhearted individual (I've known him 4 years) he is teaching kids with the hopes of producing Future prospects. The kids pay nothing, beyond Baseball he teaches them how to be a good productive citizen as well.

I applaud these types of Dominicans who give back!!! The kids need an outlet, I was reminded last night while been awaken from the sounds of multiple gunfire!!!
Anyway help Danny and "like" and "share" his Facebook page! its called "Future Dominican Stars".

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
All 30 MLB teams have what they call Baseball Academies in the DR. These schools teach not only baseball skills but also basic education and language skills. Many are located in the Boca Chica and San Pedro de Macoris areas. You can google and get more specific info by team. There are between 85-90 Domincan players in the Major leagues.

LTSteve

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
All 30 MLB teams have what they call Baseball Academies in the DR. These schools teach not only baseball skills but also basic education and language skills. Many are located in the Boca Chica and San Pedro de Macoris areas. You can google and get more specific info by team. There are between 85-90 Domincan players in the Major leagues.

LTSteve

Do these kids live at the academy's, do they not go to normal school as well?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Yes the majority live there during the week and then most go home on the weekends. As LTSteve said they learn more than just baseball. The academy's are sponsored by MLB teams. Many of the coaches at the academy's are former Major and Minor League players. My spouses cousin son went to one in Boca Chica. His baseball career didn't take off but it was still a good experience for him.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Yes the majority live there during the week and then most go home on the weekends. As LTSteve said they learn more than just baseball. The academy's are sponsored by MLB teams. Many of the coaches at the academy's are former Major and Minor League players. My spouses cousin son went to one in Boca Chica. His baseball career didn't take off but it was still a good experience for him.

Its great to hear they are getting looked after regardless if they make it big. My friends school in Monte Cristi hopes to be a feeder league school of sorts for these bigger MLB academies. I hope the best for him, he's one of the nicest locals I have met so far. Again I encourage all to "like" his page and share, he needs all the support he can muster.