Playa Grande Golf - Sad story

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Well the last nines are just mud, we know that, but not much work going on there either. The first nine then? Well just in very bad condition, with horrible greens. Costambars Mickey Mouse Course is in better condition, put it like that. I am just amazed how someone can destroy something so beautiful so fast.

We were the only ones playing, no suprise. Remember it's high season so high rate apply... Like are you kidding? How about give a 90% discount?

Be aware, don't go there. You will be extremely disappointed. And it's just sad, it was one of my favorite things to show my friends that comes to the North Coast. :(

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Well the last nines are just mud, we know that, but not much work going on there either. The first nine then? Well just in very bad condition, with horrible greens. Costambars Mickey Mouse Course is in better condition, put it like that. I am just amazed how someone manage to destroy something so beautiful so fast.

We were the only ones playing, no suprise. Remember it's high season so high rate apply... Like are you kidding? How about give a 90% discount?

Be aware, don't go there. You will be extremely disappointed. And it's just sad, it was one of my favorite things to show my friends that comes to the North Coast. :(

you mean that the cow prairie in Costambar is better than that beautiful piece of real estate? the first time i drove past that golf course, i thought it was the most beautiful piece of land i had ever seen..

sad..

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
you mean that the cow prairie in Costambar is better than that beautiful piece of real estate? the first time i drove past that golf course, i thought it was the most beautiful piece of land i had ever seen..

sad..

Well the condition of the course is bad and especially the greens. The views are still there, but yeah very sad for golf lovers.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Never fear... you should be very happy when the reconstruction is over.

Back nine has been replanted - both fairways & greens after new drainage, irrigation and contouring.
Front nine will be done next.... same things.

This is a big project and slightly behind schedule but progressing, nonetheless.

No point maintaining the front nine when it is to be dug up.

There are new holes on the back nine, no changes to the front nine.
Rees Jones did all the work and the contractors have experience on the east coast - Cap Cana and Punta Cana.

Intitial completion for the back nine was December - now more like April / May.
Totally at the whim of nature for the grass growth - w/ the help of the new irrigation.

Keep the faith !

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
No point maintaining the front nine when it is to be dug up.

Well, unless you want to avoid extremely disappointed golfers that will spread the word. How about a "We are very sorry, but the course is not maintained, but you can play for a discount" Now, extremely unprofessional, High season price. And if you cannot employ some guys to handle this, how will you rebuild the golf course in a good way. My friends, coming here on vacation, were extremely disappointed. I knew it would probably be bad, even though not that bad...

"Slightly behind schedule" In the micro perspective, for instance when a mechanic fixing a car, this means it will never be fixed. Manana si dios quiere... Sorry for being sceptic.

And yeah, extremely sad. :(

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Well, unless you want to avoid extremely disappointed golfers that will spread the word. How about a "We are very sorry, but the course is not maintained, but you can play for a discount" Now, extremely unprofessional, High season price. And if you cannot employ some guys to handle this, how will you rebuild the golf course in a good way. My friends, coming here on vacation, were extremely disappointed. I knew it would probably be bad, even though not that bad...

"Slightly behind schedule" In the micro perspective, for instance when a mechanic fixing a car, this means it will never be fixed. Manana si dios quiere... Sorry for being sceptic.

There is a MAJOR league developer building around this course, trust me it will be world class again.
Webster knows what he is talking about.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well, the really sad news is that there is no word on future play - eligibility to play.
That is the $64,000 question to which there is no answer at present.

One reason the delay is the excessive rain this summer - may/june
Then the sprigs arrived and the gov't took their time clearing them.

As for closing the course - courses get closed for reconstruction/restoration all the time.

I do not think 'public opinion' is a concern for these people.
Personally, I'm not playing it.

The end result is intended to be a world caliber course capable of hosting professional events.

Here is an insight for anyone interested.....

http://www.dolphinci.com/downloads/...nce_1-2_oct/aman_golf_resort_playa_grande.pdf

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
There is a MAJOR league developer building around this course, trust me it will be world class again.
Webster knows what he is talking about.

Sounds great, I trust you. But I hope you get my point. It's very hard to build a good reputation, but you can destroy it very fast. And that is what is happening right now.

Massielg

Apr 30, 2008
www.casasdevacacionesrd.blogspot.com

2000 high season 18 holes US160 plus taxes
2005 US120
2009 US110
2012 Us 95
2013 US75 and twilight 60

Now my question, with all my respect, what would be a reasonable price for you?

It is true that the front nine is not in his best moment, but as somebody mention before, no point on mainteining the front nine when is going to be renovated in a couple of months.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Gracias Massiel, I was wondering where you were !!!

I didn't want to throw your name in here.

This gentlemen and ladies is the horse's mouth......:cool:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sounds great, I trust you. But I hope you get my point. It's very hard to build a good reputation, but you can destroy it very fast. And that is what is happening right now.

as much as I sympathize w/ you - you , my friend, are not much of a consideration in the Master Plan.

This project is hundreds of millions, endorsed by the president and the Ministry of Tourism... both were at the ribbon cutting.

Rooms at this hotel are dear - look it up for yourself.

Green fees are an incidental item.
Very few courses generate the needed income to support them... real estate and hotels generally carry the freight.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
2005 US120
2009 US110
2012 Us 95

It is true that the front nine is not in his best moment, but as somebody mention before, no point on mainteining the front nine when is going to be renovated in a couple of months.

Not sure where you got those early prices from... Well 2002-2007 something we played with fedogolf to a very fair price. 160 plus taxes? Que?!?

Reasonable price now? For 9 holes? I say 15 USD but then I don't even think it's worth the long drive. I was embarrassed. My friends hated it. Just unprofessional. No information about the condition on the golf course, no golf balls on the range, etc etc Playa Dorada is a much better alternative at the moment.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
2005 US120
2009 US110
2012 Us 95

Not sure where you got those early prices from... Well 2002-2007 something we played with fedogolf to a very fair price. 160 plus taxes? Que?!?

Reasonable price now? For 9 holes? I say 10-15 USD but then I don't even think it's worth the long drive. I was embarrassed. My friends hated it. Just unprofessional. No information about the condition of the golf course, no golf balls on the range, etc etc Playa Dorada is a much better alternative at the moment, even though it was not in the best condition either.

The locals (read caddies etc.) must suffer enormously at Playa Grande. We were alone on the course. How about lowering the prices to attract some players now when you are rebuilding? Ohh I forgot that's opposite of DR logic.

Last edited:

Massielg

Apr 30, 2008
I'm here Webster. Thanks to you.

I would like to add, if you somebody has a question, complaint or suggestion may be a good idea to communicate first with the PG team/management/proshop, and if not satisfied, then say it in public (only my personal opinion)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well, they have a point about no information coming out.

Can you give weekly or monthly updates?

Just a bit of news on the progress .....

just asking...

How are you - well, I hope.... see you later in the month

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003

Reasonable price now? For 9 holes? I say 10-15 USD but then I don't even think it's worth the long drive. I was embarrassed. My friends hated it. Just unprofessional. No information about the condition of the golf course, no golf balls on the range, etc etc Playa Dorada is a much better alternative at the moment, even though it was not in the best condition either.

The locals (read caddies etc.) must suffer enormously at Playa Grande. We were alone on the course. How about lowering the prices to attract some players now when you are rebuilding? Ohh I forgot that's opposite of DR logic.

Sry double post...

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Just to throw my 2 cents for what is worth. The company who is building the hotel is investing a great deal of money over $100 million dollars into this project. there is a lot at stake here. Believe me the golf course will be beautiful. There are a lot of big names coming into this area and pouring money in. Just like everything else in this country it takes time. I'm sorry to hear that the golf course at this time was not in great condition, but it makes financial sense in my book not to throw good money after bad money.
The Aman group usually caters to high end clientele and they will not fumble the ball on this believe me. too much dough at stake.
As a disclosure before some smart ass writes some bs. Yes I do have a financial interest in this area. I waited to throw my hat in the arena until they started building the hotel. I made a real estate purchase after construction begun. I am bullish on this area. It has all the potential to be a great destination.

Massielg

Apr 30, 2008

Reasonable price now? For 9 holes? I say 10-15 USD but then I don't even think it's worth the long drive. I was embarrassed. My friends hated it. Just unprofessional. No information about the condition on the golf course, no golf balls on the range, etc etc Playa Dorada is a much better alternative at the moment, even though it was not in the best condition either.

I know these prices, believe me.

I do not mean to be impolite, but we'll see at the end of next year and then we will talk about the condition of the course and the rates (if is not totally private), now, makes no sense.