Problems renewing my U.S. passport in S.D.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I need to renew my passport at the U.S. consulate and ive read that they require a second form of picture id (seperate from my old passport) to complete the renewal. Since ive been in the country for so long, I have no other form of ID other than my old expired passport, birth certificate and SS card. Any ideas if this is going to be an issue or any suggestions? Would hate to go through making an appointment and showing up unprepared.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Since you say you have been in country for so long .....you could use your cedula, residency card or dom drivers license as photo id

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
No drivers license or residency, or cedula. Abuela you beat me to it

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I have no other forms of id. Lets just say i have not kept myself up to date on my stuff here... No DL , no cedula, no residency.

When youre struggling month to month year after year, things like that get thrown to the "cuando se pueda" list. Just tired of comiendo me un cable in the D.R.. Time to pack up and get the family to somewhere I can earn a decent living.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
do you have an american driving license maybe? dominican insurance? monumental insurance card comes with a picture. a membership card to a gym or some local club?

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Nothing. Im hoping I can just convince them once im there since theres no real way for me to get avalid form of id. Everything here needs another form of id to get so everythings a damn catch 22 for me now. AMET took my drivers license and promptly lost it close to 10 yrs ago...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Go on line and check out travel.state.gov. This gives you instructions on how to get a friend as a witness to verify your identity. You fill out this form and it is witnessed. You might be able to do this at the US Embassy. Looks like a good possibility. Bring your birth certif, ss card and anything else with your name, such as credit card, etc.

LTSteve

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
I just renewed mine in Puerto Plata. It was expired for more than a year and all I needed was the passport application that you have to fill out on line, 2 passport photos with a white background, my old passport, 2 photocopies of the first page of the old passport and last but not least, US$110.00

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The US Embassy in SD is run by a bunch of Nazis. Go to PP or there is one in Bavaro also at Palma Real Mall.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I wouldn't describe them as "Nazis", more like "Sadistic MOTHERF*#KERS"!!!!!!
These low level State Dept. "Hacks", get the ONLY sexual gratification in their miserable lives, by harassing their "Bosses", meaning US!
AND, they treat the Dominicans who go there like, The Unwashed Masses"!
Shame On THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
ps, my US passport expired in Sept., can I travel to the USA on my expired passport???
I want absolutely NOTHING to do with the IDIOTS here!

tcast305

Jul 17, 2009
I wouldn't describe them as "Nazis", more like "Sadistic MOTHERF*#KERS"!!!!!!
These low level State Dept. "Hacks", get the ONLY sexual gratification in their miserable lives, by harassing their "Bosses", meaning US!
AND, they treat the Dominicans who go there like, The Unwashed Masses"!
Shame On THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
ps, my US passport expired in Sept., can I travel to the USA on my expired passport???
I want absolutely NOTHING to do with the IDIOTS here!

CC,

Mine expired last month too, Sept 28. I've been to lazy to get it renewed yet in SD, since I don't have plans to fly back anytime soon.

Also you cannot travel to the USA with an expired passport.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If it is your own country I believe they "Have TO" let you in. But I renewed mine in one afternoon in Panama a couple of years ago. Don;t remember what I had to do, but it didn't include anything strange or memoribale

What does this have to do with The OP's question?
Early senility or just boracho?

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Thanks for all the suggestions! Will update the thread when I get my new passport. BTW, it expired in Feb. of '98.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I know the USA will "Let Me In", but will the stupid Dominican immigration officer, "Let Me OUT"???

If you're going to the country your passport is from, they will let you out.

In my experience, there are quite a lot of stupid US immigration officers, too.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I know the USA will "Let Me In", but will the stupid Dominican immigration officer, "Let Me OUT"???????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Nope.
They will simply turn you away at the check in counter, and you can try, but I doubt few pasos will solve the problem.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
If you're going to the country your passport is from, they will let you out.

In my experience, there are quite a lot of stupid US immigration officers, too.

I guess it's case by cases. My friend couldn't pass the counter few months back. He had to go to embassy and renew his passport and had whale of time dealing with airlines CS rep.

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
My passport expires at the end of the year so anticipating issue, I began the process early. Got my appointment at the SDQ consulate. Went in, didn't wait too long, told everything was ok. The next day I received a phone call stating that the "officer" needs transitional photos over the past 10 years because I do not look like my passport photo. The only difference is that I have lost a 10 pounds, lost all of what remaining hair I had, and grew a goatee. I have a cedula from 5 years ago which I look exactly as I do right now. Not good enough. I told them I have no other photos and I am expecting a call back to schedule a meeting to review. This business about transitional photos seems only to apply to children as per the State Dept website. This feels very much like a local requirement.

I am old enough to remember when being a US Citizen going into a US consulate actually mean something.....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
My passport expires at the end of the year so anticipating issue, I began the process early. Got my appointment at the SDQ consulate. Went in, didn't wait too long, told everything was ok. The next day I received a phone call stating that the "officer" needs transitional photos over the past 10 years because I do not look like my passport photo. The only difference is that I have lost a 10 pounds, lost all of what remaining hair I had, and grew a goatee. I have a cedula from 5 years ago which I look exactly as I do right now. Not good enough. I told them I have no other photos and I am expecting a call back to schedule a meeting to review. This business about transitional photos seems only to apply to children as per the State Dept website. This feels very much like a local requirement.

I am old enough to remember when being a US Citizen going into a US consulate actually mean something.....

One more time. Avoid this place like the plague. There are other ways to renew US Passports. Do some research.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Koreano, was your friend traveling as an American citizen with an expired passport, or another countries expired passport"????
For example, he couldn't get on a plane to the USA, with an expired Korean passport!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC