Vet in Sosua

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Dr. De La Cruz is located near David's garage. I've heard good and bad, but the same with Dr. Bob.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Is this for your Cat?? Why do you need a Vet?? If you needs meds, most of the pet stores sell them, and its very easy to give a IM/Shot or PO/Oral medications..

LOL...Check out my English...Great, I'm now typing Spanglish..Better then saying mines I guess...was going to fix it, but naaaa...

Ant

It's for my Chihuahua, he had a few ticks in him and I just want to make sure he is ok. He is my baby so maybe I am being over protective since he has no signs of sickness. I have never dealt with ticks before! F%cking GROSS!!!

The cat finally came on the bed after 10 days hiding under the bed, she is slightly traumatized and sore!

Dr De la Cruz is the Dr I have heard of! Thank you!

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Tick in him? So he ate a few?? yea, deworming meds would be a good idea, heartworms...But again, you can pick up some strongid and heartworm pills..The Strongid kills most parasite worms, Hooks, Rounds and tape..So that there would save you some money, just a suggestion...Its all oral meds anyways..Just be sure to bathe your dogs at least once every 2 weeks or so with medicated shampoo for ticks/fleas..Pop a flea collar on too because they do work, and/or powder is great, especially in this DR weather....

Glad to hear the cat has come around, just takes times,....extra love and hugs :)

ANt

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Almost forgot HR..be sure to check the ears...The big mamas love ears!! Not inside, on the inner flap..But being that type of dog not so much so..They love the dark, so its the breeds that have floppy ears..However, do check for mites in the ear or just clean them..Use a normal Q-Tip, get a syringe, fill it with mineral oil, then squeeze about 4 CCS into the ear. At the base of the ear canal, give it a good massage with thumb & pointer/middle finger for a few minutes, take the Q-Tip and go into the canal just a bit, 1/4 inch or so past the opening, bring it up like your trying to get something out..then clean the rest of the ear...Its very easy and I bet they have a vid on youtube if your not clear on what I mean...But mites are everywhere...good to clean every 6 Months

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Okay hear that..Any ticks again, cover the body with vaseline..Please, never try to remove them because the head can stay or get released into the bloodstream killing the animal, also with people..Well, with us, just take a hot needle and they back out...The huge type are usually green in color, so fat you can hardly see the legs..Once as a tech, had to remove literally hundreds from a stray dog that was rescued...Nasty!! and you guys should be careful of lyme disease, maybe learn more about it since you have a few dogs...However, I don't think the DR has reported many cases..Don't know how it is here with that..

For me, I pay close attention to Chlamydia because I have a huge flock of Budgies...Just a risk of us pet owners right..LOL

Ticks were in his skin had to tweezer 2 out, one was huge! We have all our animals shots up to date and the de-worming stuff done.
I will take him in and see what the vet says, not interested in saving money when it comes to him.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
OK, I almost fell off my chair laughing.

I love it that you love your dogs, as I have 8 myself. Ticks are dangerous for humans, not dogs, but yes they are gross. They fall off, and you might get one.

No need to go to De La Cruz, but for future reference... he is a decent vet. There are much better ones, but then you would have to drive to Santiago.

Now, about the ticks. They are a big problem in this country. We tried everything... Advantix, Frontline, Ivermectin, etc... and nothing helped. So I also checked the internet...

Here is the perfect and healthy solution.... go to the pharmacy in the international plaza (next to cmc hospital) and ask for the essence of garlic (aciete de ajo). It is a small bottle at 50 pesos, and you just put a drop or 2 on the food of the dogs.

Give it one week to work, and all ticks disappear as they do not like it in the blood. A cheap, healthy and practical solution... and for us the only one that worked.

The ears... ticks like ears as they are nice and warm. Chi's do not like you to get into their ears to remove the ticks... they actually scream like they are being murdered. Solution... take one of those Q-Tips, dip it into your favorite rum (not the one you are drinking at the moment) and rub it over the ticks... 30 seconds later you can just wipe them off, or if you prefer shake the chi so they fall out (just joking on the last bit).

Hope this helps, from one doglover to another.

BelgianK

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Harleysrock: Get some benibio shampoo and give the little guy a good bath with it - leave it on for about 10 mins. This shampoo will kill any ticks or fleas on the dog. Start with regular biweekly doses of ivermectin (.1ml/10lbs) - once under control you can go to monthly doses. I would not wash the dog every two weeks as that will take the oil out of the skin and can cause skin problems to start - I would wash once/month. The garlic as well helps - we put some garlic paste in the dogs soup mix and this seems to work well too. Ticks are very dangerous for dogs as well as humans - there are many tick born diseases in this country that can and will kill your dogs if not treated. A simple blood snap test can be used to see if your dog has any of these tick carried diseases and treatment is in most cases done by using doxy....hope this helps...tom

It's for my Chihuahua, he had a few ticks in him and I just want to make sure he is ok. He is my baby so maybe I am being over protective since he has no signs of sickness. I have never dealt with ticks before! F%cking GROSS!!!

The cat finally came on the bed after 10 days hiding under the bed, she is slightly traumatized and sore!

Dr De la Cruz is the Dr I have heard of! Thank you!

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I'd trust BelgianK 1000 times over Skynet....

The latter seems all over the place and seems to know everything at the same time.... weird...

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
OK, I almost fell off my chair laughing.

Now, about the ticks. They are a big problem in this country. We tried everything... Advantix, Frontline, Ivermectin, etc... and nothing helped. So I also checked the internet...

Here is the perfect and healthy solution.... go to the pharmacy in the international plaza (next to cmc hospital) and ask for the essence of garlic (aciete de ajo). It is a small bottle at 50 pesos, and you just put a drop or 2 on the food of the dogs.

Give it one week to work, and all ticks disappear as they do not like it in the blood. A cheap, healthy and practical solution... and for us the only one that worked.

BelgianK

Thanks a lot for your recommendation. Just bought the oil, because too much chemicals i do not like to give my dogs.
On the bottle it says " Vaselina liquida, aceite esencial de ajo" This means the highest content is liquid Vaseline and it says only to apply external.
Is it safe to give it to the dogs? Because i would like to give it a try; this year the tick issue is really nasty!

Dec 21, 2008
ditto on the garlic - it does work....I buy olive oil, put three or four cloves of garlic in it, let it sit for a few days then put it on each dogs food.

as far as the beni bio...don't think it's all that it is hyped up to be....never seen anything come off any of my dogs other than dirt...

one of our dogs swims daily and her coat is just fine...no dry skin...judge by how your dog is reacting to whatever you put on the dog and take it from there!

keep on top of the ticks...nasty little suckers (literally)...we had an infestation in the house.....now, let's talk gross....and we discovered, those little suckers can jump!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Thanks a lot for your recommendation. Just bought the oil, because too much chemicals i do not like to give my dogs.
On the bottle it says " Vaselina liquida, aceite esencial de ajo" This means the highest content is liquid Vaseline and it says only to apply external.
Is it safe to give it to the dogs? Because i would like to give it a try; this year the tick issue is really nasty!

It is safe... I have been giving it to the dogs for months now. You only give a tiny amount. Mind you, it does take a number of days to start working as the garlic has to get in the bloodstream. The idea of silver fox also works of course.

BelgianK

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
ditto on the garlic - it does work....I buy olive oil, put three or four cloves of garlic in it, let it sit for a few days then put it on each dogs food.

as far as the beni bio...don't think it's all that it is hyped up to be....never seen anything come off any of my dogs other than dirt...

one of our dogs swims daily and her coat is just fine...no dry skin...judge by how your dog is reacting to whatever you put on the dog and take it from there!

keep on top of the ticks...nasty little suckers (literally)...we had an infestation in the house.....now, let's talk gross....and we discovered, those little suckers can jump!

It is not the water that is the problem, but the aggressive shampoos who will destroy the natural oil in the skin.

BelgianK

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we use frontline on beasts from hell and it works very well. i do not know about putting that stuff on a chi. cat version maybe? essentially it's the same thing, only smaller vial. i mean, just few drops? them rats are so small, it is difficult to help them out.
apart from ears, check the paws as well. ticks hide in nice, well hidden spots.
treat ALL your animals, whatever stuff you decide to use. if one has ticks others will have them too. change the bedding, i know chi sleeps with you. check the mattress. check the wife. or give me a call and i'll check her for you! :devious:

eee... what was i saying? yeah. personal checks. ticks are nasty and they can be dangerous to humans. check the head. then ears, and all other nooks and crannies.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
we use frontline on beasts from hell and it works very well. i do not know about putting that stuff on a chi. cat version maybe? essentially it's the same thing, only smaller vial. i mean, just few drops? them rats are so small, it is difficult to help them out.
apart from ears, check the paws as well. ticks hide in nice, well hidden spots.
treat ALL your animals, whatever stuff you decide to use. if one has ticks others will have them too. change the bedding, i know chi sleeps with you. check the mattress. check the wife. or give me a call and i'll check her for you! :devious:

eee... what was i saying? yeah. personal checks. ticks are nasty and they can be dangerous to humans. check the head. then ears, and all other nooks and crannies.

are you now talking about his wife or the chi? You got me confused.

I think I might have some ticks. Can you come and check me over as well?

BelgianK