Micro traffickers moving their wares in the barrios....

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
Micro trafficking is the main sustenance in many barrios employing youths as lookouts, who warn of police presence with code signals. Loans are made in cash and items like jewelry could be pawned if one find themselves in a bind. If there's trickery, the client is threatened or even killed.

It's hard for the authorities to quantify the amount of money circulating, but is is assumed to be millions. The kingpins are arrested and by afternoon they're released back into their barrios to continue their operation. About 75% of killings are associated to the drug trade in the country.

El microtr?fico de drogas mueve la econom?a en los barrios - Diario Libre Movil

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have seen it in a barrio close to the pharmacy. day and night business. sellers buying azucar de leche for cutting and baking soda to prepare false crack. the drugs are so contaminated the high is short and you need more drugs, faster and faster. the economy moves and so do small merchants. i have seen many of them arrested and many more killed, by the police, by rivaling gangs. the economy moves and so does death.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
i have seen it in a barrio close to the pharmacy. day and night business. sellers buying azucar de leche for cutting and baking soda to prepare false crack. the drugs are so contaminated the high is short and you need more drugs, faster and faster. the economy moves and so do small merchants. i have seen many of them arrested and many more killed, by the police, by rivaling gangs. the economy moves and so does death.

Dire circumstances reveal the innovations of a human being. It's shared blame and all actors are guilty. The thing is, as in the article, these guys are arrested in the morning, and in the afternoon they're again in their respective barrios dedicated to the same methods.

The police are scared to venture into the barrios for fear of the uncertainty: often alleyways with gun toting drugged up thugs who wouldn't hesitate to send the officer to meet his maker. Then we have the case where the officer receives a bribe in order to turn a blind eye. He gets intoxicated by the idea of easy money and now he's recruited to provide sensitive information like raids and the elimination of smaller competition for his new drug boss.

Situation is escalated due to greed on the part of rogue officer. There are conflicts between cop and trafficker. Trafficker pays to have the thorn in his side eliminated - another officer falls victim to unabated crime spree. Two months later, drug competitorfalsely incarcerated realizes the plan and seeks revenge.

The rain falls and washes the blood. The next day, there are wakes obviously, and the cycle repeats itself with new bosses and new potential rogue cops. The sancocho is eaten, the music is deafening, and the sun keeps shining. Life in the ghetto! :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A perfect example of the consequences of the failed drug war.

Legalize, regulate and tax. Treat drug addiction as a medical condition and not a crime.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
diario libre continues with the subject:
La exclusi?n social ha propiciado la "narcoeconom?a" en los barrios - DiarioLibre.com

they try to suggest creating an alternative for the poorest barrios where the desperation makes people engage in drug business and crime. i am not sure what alternative DR has. the government is already giving a lot to the poor with subsidized power/water, solidarity card, no cuota de recuperacion in hospitals and so on. and what positive effect does it have? none. it creates even more dependence on the state and more of "i deserve it" attitude.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
they try to suggest creating an alternative for the poorest barrios where the desperation makes people engage in drug business and crime. i am not sure what alternative DR has. the government is already giving a lot to the poor with subsidized power/water, solidarity card, no cuota de recuperacion in hospitals and so on. and what positive effect does it have? none. it creates even more dependence on the state and more of "i deserve it" attitude.

It wouldn't make much difference. I used to live in a wealthy suburb of London where the drug trade was alive and well, with wealthy clients buying from wealthy dealers. The only difference was that the prices were higher there!

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
diario libre continues with the subject:
La exclusi?n social ha propiciado la "narcoeconom?a" en los barrios - DiarioLibre.com

Maybe the missing variable in this equation is a JOB. When you have high rates of unemployment and low rates of education, is quite normal to find all these social ills manifesting themselves. There's an inverse relationship between crime and economics! :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
providing jobs is not a solution wen people do not value jobs. why work if you can make more from the comfort of your very own street corner where you ca sit with pals, chat about mierda and sell small packets of not so good stuff.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
providing jobs is not a solution wen people do not value jobs. why work if you can make more from the comfort of your very own street corner where you ca sit with pals, chat about mierda and sell small packets of not so good stuff.

The reason the government created Barrio Seguro was to address the problem of opportunities; both educational and employment. The absence of job opportunities in most of the barrios is the major contributing factor to the high levels of crime. One doesn't need to be a nuclear scientist to deduce that the "selling and buying" of drugs are ECONOMIC indicators. There's no difference when a woman sells her body to satisfy another economic void - normally lack of education and employment skills.

The lure of easy money by selling drugs and prostitution oneself have to be put into perspective. In most of the barrios, another significant contributor is education. Through education, one can be taught that they can achieve a comfortable lifestyle; without the dangers associated with both: being a drug dealer, or a prostitute. The things is, after graduation, with a degree, the chances of finding employment becomes rather evasive. You have children to feed and other economic responsibilities, so you open door number one and dedicate ones life to crime and the dangers associated with prostitution.

It's not a mystery that the high levels of crime are centered in the ghettos of our societies because these places are plagued with the scarcity of economic opportunities and very depressed levels of education. Without opportunities, desperation is the order of the day. :)

Last edited: