beetle Headed...

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Okay....Help!

I am finding mega bugs that look like beetles in my bird room...I use a table about 5 feet long for 3 cages, and now I see that this table is being eaten from under it...They are small, can fly but not often at all...I can hold them in my hand, they don't care, takes a lot for them to decide to fly or not..

This is what I have found that looks like them: http://www.pestworld.org/pest-guide/other-pests/powderpost-beetles/

Problem is, I'm starting to find them in the cages of my birds...That said, does anyone here have any experience with these or may know what they are for sure so I can possibly treat them..Again, they are eating this table pretty well, so once I can locate another table out it goes...I'm also finding them in the closets now as well...Not sure what kind of wood the closets are made of, but they certainly have a source of food for a long time to come unless I can get rid of them..

Thanks!

Ant

Last edited:

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Okay cool..Do you know this type Bob?? It looks like the one in the link except the head..I have looked at many charts almost 2 hours, reason I posted it here. I figured they may be a popular insect for wood eaters..

Do you know this insect??

Thanks!

ANthony

Spray or wipe with pure lemon juice and see what happens.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Try these tried and true Dominican remedies in this order:

1. Try wiping everything down in lemon juice.

if that doesn't do it, go to step two;

2. Spray everything thoroughly in rum...including the birds.

if that doesn't do it, go to step three.

3. Spray everything thoroughly in Napalm & DDT.

If that doesn't do it. We will go to step four.

Frank

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
coquito maybe? not sure of the spelling. they eat coconuts. harmless. just not to coconuts, obviously.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Try these tried and true Dominican remedies in this order:

1. Try wiping everything down in lemon juice.

if that doesn't do it, go to step two;

2. Spray everything thoroughly in rum...including the birds.

if that doesn't do it, go to step three.

3. Spray everything thoroughly in Napalm & DDT.

If that doesn't do it. We will go to step four.

Frank

You forgot:

Rub everything with Vick's Vapor Rub!!!!!!!

May 29, 2006
Boric acid will kill most bugs and it's pretty much harmless to other animals unless they make a diet of it.