Residency for Children

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Just moved here with my wife and three kids from the US. We did not start our residency in the US because we wanted to "vacation" in the area for a year or so before we made the decision to become residents, and I really saw no benefit other than not having to pay exit fees.

After six months, which is I am told how long I have to wait before applying now that we are here, I plan on starting the residency process.

My question is:
Is there any reason, other then the overstay fine, for my kids to become residents at this point? Residency and cedulla for 5 people is not cheap. I am thinking of applying for residency for myself and my wife, and not applying for the kids until they are older (16ish). Is there any reason this would cause a problem.

Thanks,

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Also,

I would like to apply for the expedited "investor visa" as a retiree. I am employed full time, working overseas on a rotational schedule. (gone a month, home a month). I have an employment contract, and receive regular paychecks. I meet the income requirement. The wording of the law says to me that I would need income from a 401k, retirement fund, rental income and such. Would I be able to apply for the expedited retiree visa with income from a job?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have no idea why you would have to wait for 6 months. Why is that? You can start the residency process from your home country when you want to. Keep in mind you will have to fly back home and deal with the local Dominican Consulate in your home country to do that.

I have no idea of any problems with just getting residency for you and your wife when you want to and waiting on that for the children. Others can chime in on if that causes any problems with schools.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I met with a DR lawyer, and he told me that now that I was here I had to wait six months to apply. I fly back and forth every month, so it wouldn't be a big deal for me to start in the US either. I am just waiting until I know we are staying for sure.

That is the only issue I can think of, is the schools. And when they are older and start venturing out into the world and looking for trouble