Where to find US style whole milk (gallon)

tcast305

Jul 17, 2009
Hi,

I added this asked this late in the grocery thread, but it got missed by many, so I thought I would ask again.

Has anyone found any place in Santo Domingo that sells USA style regular milk (and or 2% or 1%), ie mcarthur milk, in gallon form? The only whole milk I found is Rica whole milk, and no one here at the house likes it.

I never get to buy any cereal here, because the milk here is crap.

Thanks.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Sorry, the only milk I saw in La Sirena (SD) one time was Leche Rica(whole milk):)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The ONLY place I've personally ever seen a gallon of regular USA-type milk is at Turay in Bonao. I bought it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have never, in over 10 years, seen milk sold the way it is in the USA. I had to adapt to using powdered milk.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i could never understand this american milk thingy, i hate milk so much and never drank it, not even as a child. disgusting stuff.
however, you can buy in DR milk directly from the moo, without processing. here in POP, and i am sure in any other city as well, small pickups pass barrios in the morning selling milk by liter/gallon, from large plastic or metal barrels. this is the purest milk that you can get. untreated. should be cooked before consumption. i use it to make white cheese (curd cheese, i think it is called in english).
would something like that make you happy?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i could never understand this american milk thingy, i hate milk so much and never drank it, not even as a child. disgusting stuff.
however, you can buy in DR milk directly from the moo, without processing. here in POP, and i am sure in any other city as well, small pickups pass barrios in the morning selling milk by liter/gallon, from large plastic or metal barrels. this is the purest milk that you can get. untreated. should be cooked before consumption. i use it to make white cheese (curd cheese, i think it is called in english).
would something like that make you happy?

have a care with the barrio thingy, princess. i don't live in a barrio, and my neighbor gets his moo juice from the pickups you describe.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Price smart on avenida republic columbia. Close to the new not yet opened us embassy. Its not quite american milk but close enough for my lucky charms. ;)

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Buy this:

imgres

Not this :

-23194.jpg

The first image is whole milk pasteurized, straight from the cow, boiled, then placed in a carton. This milk has a very short shelf life like U.S milk, maybe 2 weeks or less from when you see it on the shelf. The latter is UHT treated prepared powdered milk, the taste is much sweeter and it essentially never goes bad. The expiration date on the latter is usually months or even a year out from the date you find it.

The first image is what we buy and it tastes exactly like the fresh milk sold at Bravo, we just prefer the carton vs the clear bottle since the milk seperates from the cream and can look kinda gross.. Good luck!

The trick is if it's not refrigerated, something is funny about it..

Listamilk is actually my favorite milk and it's reconstituted powdered milk, I buy the whole milk for the kids since I'm sure it's much more nutritious.

Last edited by a moderator:

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
do they sell that last one in a smaller size?

If you mean the "Leche Entera rectangular box" , I have not seen that one in a smaller size, only the full size listamilk size. That is considered a "do not buy" if you want the real milk experience vs UHT treated reconstituted powdered milk.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
As far a milk goes, I'm in the same boat as dv8, I hate the stuff, but if you need to drink good milk, I buy Dos Pinos Leche Entera, in a red box for 50 pesos. My daughter drinks this stuff and doesn't like the other brands. My mom also says the taste of this milk is the closest thing to milk back home. Hope this helps you out.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
As far a milk goes, I'm in the same boat as dv8, I hate the stuff, but if you need to drink good milk, I buy Dos Pinos Leche Entera, in a red box for 50 pesos. My daughter drinks this stuff and doesn't like the other brands. My mom also says the taste of this milk is the closest thing to milk back home. Hope this helps you out.

Quite agree with your mum, if served up ice cold from the fridge it actually tastes quite good. Goes well with the porridge anyway.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
image_9686.jpg

If you have tried this and do not like it then you are SOL. That is as close as youll find to regular u.s. style milk here. Its actual milk, not that UHT crap that doesnt require refrigeration.

Im assuming you're new to the DR.. I was a serious milk drinker in the U.S. and pretty much had to give up the stuff here. The milk pictured above is actually very very close to u.s. quality milk. Only problem is finding it to actually be fresh..... ive had a few that were sour in the past 16 yrs...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"NV", I had the same experience with the "Fresh", Lista Milk!!!!
DON'T Buy IT!!!
Actually, "Whole Milk, 4 % butter fat, is not "More Nutricious", just, "More Fattening"!
We use 0% fat powdered milk, and/or "UTH 0% skimmed milk.
The powdered is much better if it "Rests" overnight in the fridge!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC