Grab me a line...

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Where can a fella and his boys go fishing around Puerto Plata? I am not talking about a $700 fishing excursion either. Me, a pole, some Bohemia, and a chair? I am from Minnesota, and have lake fished. Only went deep sea fishing once.

Is there a dock in POP from which one can fish. Do I need a permit, license?

Thx

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I have seen some locals fish at the end of the malecon, where the old fort is. They usually gather around late evening and some carry on after dark. From what I saw they hardly catch anything, but Monday night a guy came with a very long rod, through it in with some pieces of fish (or anchovies) as bait and less than a minute later took out two small fish (one on each hook!?) - not sure what they were but they looked nice - other guys took out a couple of small eels (or similar!) while I was there for the 2 hours or so.

Though there are a lot of rocks there, so not sure how their lines wouldn't get stuck more often ! (Well, I think it does, occasionally...).

They also have another interesting method, they tie a small balloon to their line as a float and let the wind takes it right in the middle of the bay, then sit there and I guess hope that once a fish get caught they can see it so far out and pull it. But I have never seen any of them pull their lines back. They just sit there for hours and wait !? (Doesn't the small fish just eat the bait !? From that distance they can't see anything, specially at night !)

Anyway, I have not tried but would like to find a nice spot to do some fishing, just a relaxing place were your line don't get stuck and the fish bites occasionally, I hate sitting idle for hours though... ! (but I'm in Sosua area...)