Looking for a Bicycle Club Near or in Santo Domingo, or anyone who does road biking

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
Hello All--

I am visiting the DR in January or February for a couple of weeks. The purpose of the trip is mostly so wifey can visit with family. I enjoy her familia but to sweeten the deal for myself, I would like to get some good ass-kickin' road rides in. In the States there are bicycle clubs all over the place and when we I travel, I can hook up with a group for their regularly scheduled Saturday or Sunday ride. With advance communication, I can also ensure that I am with the right group (young and fast, not old and slow).

I have several Dominican friends who are avid mountain bikers but the road biking scene seems a little more illusive, probably due to the potholes and bad drivers. Poor road conditions notwithstanding, I am sure there are plenty of good less traveled roads on the outskirts of the city and in the hinterlands that would make for a fantastic 50 mile ride. I don't know the roads though, hence I would like to hook up with a group.

To make a long question short, does anyone here know of any such groups? Or does anyone here even know someone who does road bicycling?

--Thanks!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
There may be some information I've included here that will be redundant to you, but I've added the unsolicited advice just in case.

You're talking about road cycling, so first of all you need a plan to get your bike on the plane without incurring the added cost of an oversize bag.

Keep in mind the prices airlines charge for oversize bags is completely arbitrary, and don't be surprised if if what they charge you is equal to if not more than a one-way ticket for yourself. And that's each way. And don't think they'll let you slide if you're off by a quarter of an inch. You WILL get nailed because that's extra revenue for the airline, and you'll have to pay the fee because you're already stuck at the airport and they know they got you by the balls, so pack your bike accordingly.

Don't bring tubulars or fancy carbon rims. Take with you at least one, maybe two sets of sturdy aluminum clincher wheels with a decent amount of inner tubes and and a pump (CO2 cartridges on a plane is not a good idea) and you'll be set.

As for good quality races, "El Triple Cien" is coming up soon in Santo Domingo, and there is always the "Vuelta Independencia". Even if you don't race you can check them out and meet other riders and the peripheral cats who make up the scene. There is an interconnectedness between riders in New York City and the island. If you can ingratiate yourself into this particular sub-culture you'll be set.

The time of year you mention is actually good, because there will be some Dominicans training for the upcoming season during the two months you mention. These are cats who work in bike shops as mechanics and their off-season is January and February, so they go home to get some quality miles in while the rest of us are forced to ride indoors on our trainers.

Are you anywhere near New York City? Are you friends with any Dominican bike shop mechanics and/or riders where you live? Since the time period you mention is still a ways away and it doesn't seem that you have the exact dates for your trip yet, there is still time for you to coordinate with other riders.

As for the rides themselves, I know guys who live in the capital who do training rides from the capital to Sand Pedro de Macoris and back, but the best riding has to be in the Cibao. It's also the most dangerous due to the twisty nature of the roads and because those trucks don't stop for ANYONE. But plenty of cats train there because the climbing in that part of the country is fantastic.

gthomasbvi

Oct 16, 2023
British Virgin Islands
Hello All--

I am visiting the DR in January or February for a couple of weeks. The purpose of the trip is mostly so wifey can visit with family. I enjoy her familia but to sweeten the deal for myself, I would like to get some good ass-kickin' road rides in. In the States there are bicycle clubs all over the place and when we I travel, I can hook up with a group for their regularly scheduled Saturday or Sunday ride. With advance communication, I can also ensure that I am with the right group (young and fast, not old and slow).

I have several Dominican friends who are avid mountain bikers but the road biking scene seems a little more illusive, probably due to the potholes and bad drivers. Poor road conditions notwithstanding, I am sure there are plenty of good less traveled roads on the outskirts of the city and in the hinterlands that would make for a fantastic 50 mile ride. I don't know the roads though, hence I would like to hook up with a group.

To make a long question short, does anyone here know of any such groups? Or does anyone here even know someone who does road bicycling?

could you share any information please on what you found out regarding the road bike scene in Santo Domingo and the country generally

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Mirador Sur park has a very large road biking contingent. Bike shops as well. The road is closed in the evening for vehicle traffic. I would rather walk through the DMZ before biking on city streets.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Mirador Sur park has a very large road biking contingent. Bike shops as well. The road is closed in the evening for vehicle traffic. I would rather walk through the DMZ before biking on city streets.
I would add to that the autopista de las americas. I can't understand what would possess anyone to try and ride a bike on that.