Free Breast cancer treatment?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
We heard from a friend visiting Puerto Plata that a woman which was our nanny years ago has breast cancer but has no means to get treatment and is afraid having surgery done. Her husband left her because of her illness. She is alone with one daughter...

Not sure but I was told there is an organisation / institution in Santiago which could help in that case (free surgery?).

If anybody knows more please let me know.

Thanks
Michael

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am trying a simple search... october is a month dedicated to cancer patients and lots of initiatives are taking place. clinica abreu in SD, for example offers free mammography for all insured and 30% of discount to private patience (no insurance).

maybe you can contact liga dominicana contra el cancer:
Liga Dominicana Contra el Cancer(LDCC)
this is a private institution but maybe they will be able to provide the information you are looking for.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
So sorry. Let's try to find all the resources that we can to help her and that may take a lot of calling to find. I'll add to the list.

You can call CMC in Sosua and talk to Mary Jo, speaks English, to see if she knows anyone. 809-571-4696

In Santo Domingo. BRACA specializes in Hematologo concologo and breast cancer. Dr. Santiago Collado Chastel. Nice Doc. and speaks English better then I do. 809-683-6564/809-683-2089

My mother had radical mastectomies over 30 years ago and she is still kicking. My SIL had the same just over a year ago and I went to California to the "I Kicked Cancer" party for her and my bother, that also had cancer. My SIL flashed her new .... you know... for me while at the party. Very impressive. I'm talking about how my brother and her Kicked Cancer. :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I lost, and very quickly, a wife and my mother to breast cancer. Best wishes to your friend.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Hi Michael. So sorry to hear about this. Cancer sucks. You may wish to try contacting HOMS Cancer Center in Santiago, I was told they have programs available for the poor but I have no idea what is involved. If you want some contact numbers please PM me and I will gladly give you some emails or numbers. HOMS Cancer Center is top notch. Please also speak with your ex nanny and try to convince her that surgery is a minor inconvenience compared to dying from cancer. I wish her the best of luck....tom

We heard from a friend visiting Puerto Plata that a woman which was our nanny years ago has breast cancer but has no means to get treatment and is afraid having surgery done. Her husband left her because of her illness. She is alone with one daughter...

Not sure but I was told there is an organisation / institution in Santiago which could help in that case (free surgery?).

If anybody knows more please let me know.

Thanks
Michael

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
don't give up on hope. i know two dominican ladies here who survived breast cancer. both poor. the basic insurance and family helped. most important is to catch it in time and act immediately. don't stop at nothing. i am sure the lady fears surgery because she thinks mastectomy. it does not have to be radical, it depends on the individual case. but in case, it is better to live.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Did Some Checking

The surgeon who does cancer operations in Santiago at the cancer treatment center there actually lives in Puerto Plata. He also operates at the Hospital Ricardo Limardo (the public hospital) where she can get radiation therapy as well.

The recommendation I got from "someone in the know" is that she should go to the Casa de Oraci?n on Calle Beller in front of the Metro station (next to the gas station and around the corner from Supermercado Tropical). Talk to Sor Lucretia or to Paula and say that Do?a Grace from the Obispado sent you. They can help her navigate the public hospital and get proper care. Cost will be little, if anything.

If you want to talk to me directly, PM me for my telephone number.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
My wife told me she knows where that is and will explain it to the woman. Since this is in the same town where she lives I think we should start there. We will let her know and see how it continues after her visit there.

I will of course follow the other leads too and send PM to those required more information of course! Thanks again to all of you!

The surgeon who does cancer operations in Santiago at the cancer treatment center there actually lives in Puerto Plata. He also operates at the Hospital Ricardo Limardo (the public hospital) where she can get radiation therapy as well.

The recommendation I got from "someone in the know" is that she should go to the Casa de Oraci?n on Calle Beller in front of the Metro station (next to the gas station and around the corner from Supermercado Tropical). Talk to Sor Lucretia or to Paula and say that Do?a Grace from the Obispado sent you. They can help her navigate the public hospital and get proper care. Cost will be little, if anything.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
My wife told me she knows where that is and will explain it to the woman. Since this is in the same town where she lives I think we should start there. We will let her know and see how it continues after her visit there.

I will of course follow the other leads too and send PM to those required more information of course! Thanks again to all of you!

Let me know if I can do anything else.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Lot's of good stuff that Caribmike has to sort through, learn and communicate.

It is amazing what we can do as a group when someone needs it. I've been the recipient of many that have helped me to help others and hope that I have returned the same.

Some impressive people around here I'd say.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
We gave her the information and when we hear back from her I will post an update! Thanks again to all!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
My wife and I stopped by BRACA in S.D. last night to go over some other blood work and we inquired about some free procedures. YES, they do but patient must go to Santiago and then meet some requirements Carib. and have everything and will provide at your request. The Doctor said that we/you could use his name to help during the process.

While at the clinic; my wife had her mammograms done. Good Girl.

For our friends in S.D., BRACA is having a clinic at their Naco office on Oct. 26th. 809-683-6564

I encourage all of our ladies to take care of themselves.... please.