Canada CCP PENSION ? Eh?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Is this the taxable one?

Does enrolling affect your status - I woiuld think not, and you'll lose the withholding tax of 15-18% - whatever it is, huh?

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
If you have a Canadian bank account, have it deposited directly and then take it out from any ATM in the DR.
Not much simpler than that....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
EXCEPT, don't use an "ATM" machine.
Establish a relationship with a reputable "Casa De Cambio", (Exchange House") near your home here in the DR, and cash your personal checks on the Canadian bank there.
No chance of "ATM" fraud, VERY common here in the DR, AND, a better exchange rate too!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Cash a canadian Cheque????

EXCEPT, don't use an "ATM" machine.
Establish a relationship with a reputable "Casa De Cambio", (Exchange House") near your home here in the DR, and cash your personal checks on the Canadian bank there.
No chance of "ATM" fraud, VERY common here in the DR, AND, a better exchange rate too!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Sorry Criss,- doubt the OP will be able to cash a Canadian cheque. Best thing would be to open a USA account with the OP's bank (many Canadian banks do this) then get USA checks and ---no problem at the Casa De Cambio's

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I'll ask about Canadian bank checks next time I go.
If they honour Canadian bank's ATM" cards, why not???
"Confederate" money"?????????????????
"The South Shall Rise Again"!!!!!!!
c

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I doubt they will accept any canadian checks....last year when the Canadian dollar was worth more than the US dollar the banks and casa de cambio were still screwing us out of about 4 or 5 pesos per dollar

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yup, even the Cdn cash took a hit ....

I just go the US $$ route.... accounts in all my banks are 'dual', either / or.

But in RD, I just use US$$.. checks and cash

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Another question about Canadian pensions. I have a friend who was married to a Canadian man last year. He went home for his 6 months and a day and died while there. They were married here and i doubt if the marriage was registered in Canada, but she was advised by a Canadian that she had the right to a widow's pension. She has no Social security number from Canada nor has she ever been there. I downloaded 15 pages from the internet, but this type of thing is not my forte. We went to the Canadian Consulate four times before finally finding them open today. My simple question is : Is she eligible for a pension, never having been in Canada. The woman at the consulate says she has no idea and sent me to the internet. Does any one know? I have had three Canadians all presently in Canada tell me they'd call and ask, but they never get around to it.
Thanks
Der Fish

how long were they married and does she have a marriage license?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
She should be eligible.

Prove the marriage, but then she may need to get a Soc Sec # so the gov't can process the payment.
Probably want it to go to a CDN bank....

Get on SKYPE and call them or send an e-mail asking

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
We have had pension checks deposited into our Canadian Scotiabank for 13 years. We are in the DR 5 months every year (13 years now and counting) and usually take pesos out of Scotiabank atms. Occasionally when the their atm was out of funds we would withdraw at other bank atms. Just as easy but we had to pay an atm fee. The only problem we had was once we didn't get pesos but our account showed we did. Scotiabank Canada refunded our money but it took a few weeks.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
She should be eligible.

Prove the marriage, but then she may need to get a Soc Sec # so the gov't can process the payment.
Probably want it to go to a CDN bank....

Get on SKYPE and call them or send an e-mail asking

You cant get a SIN # unless you are a resident of Canada. I was reading up on this matter and it shows nothing about a foreign spouse from not being able to collecting CPP for deacsed Canadian. They would not even have to go to Canada, they can have it done on there behalf if they are incapable to do it themselves. The same for children under 25 years age. However they would need a Canadian bank account as Canada does not direct deposit to DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You cant get a SIN # unless you are a resident of Canada. I was reading up on this matter and it shows nothing about a foreign spouse from not being able to collecting CPP for deacsed Canadian. They would not even have to go to Canada, they can have it done on there behalf if they are incapable to do it themselves. The same for children under 25 years age. However they would need a Canadian bank account as Canada does not direct deposit to DR

That sounds reasonable - need to open the account in person but thats not a big deal.

Hope it works out for her.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Yes she has a marriage license and certificate. They married in June of 2012 and he died in Feb 2013. Are you qualified to help her for a fee?
Der Fish
need a marriage certificate or in the case of common law...proof of living together for one year

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Another question about Canadian pensions. I have a friend who was married to a Canadian man last year. He went home for his 6 months and a day and died while there. They were married here and i doubt if the marriage was registered in Canada, but she was advised by a Canadian that she had the right to a widow's pension. She has no Social security number from Canada nor has she ever been there. I downloaded 15 pages from the internet, but this type of thing is not my forte. We went to the Canadian Consulate four times before finally finding them open today. My simple question is : Is she eligible for a pension, never having been in Canada. The woman at the consulate says she has no idea and sent me to the internet. Does any one know? I have had three Canadians all presently in Canada tell me they'd call and ask, but they never get around to it.
Thanks
Der Fish

I have more experience in this that the average bear. YES she is eligible for a survivor pension. Plain and simple. All she needs is his SIN, certified copy of death certificate, marriage certificate, (common law is eligible too) as well as the names of any children he was caring for (believe it or not they are eligible as well).

You won't be able to cash a Canadian Pension check here, so you will have to get an account in the US, or Canada because they don't do direct deposit to the DR yet.