Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Canada CCP PENSION ? Eh?

Is there any advantage or disadvantage receiving Canada pension plan in Canada or the dr?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arrugala View Post
    Is there any advantage or disadvantage receiving Canada pension plan in Canada or the dr?
    You'll have a hard time cashing the cheque and the Canadian government will not deposit into a Dominican bank, but other than that no difference.

3. Likes AnnaC, travelbear liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this the taxable one?

Does enrolling affect your status - I woiuld think not, and you'll lose the withholding tax of 15-18% - whatever it is, huh?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have a Canadian bank account, have it deposited directly and then take it out from any ATM in the DR.
    Not much simpler than that....

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

EXCEPT, don't use an "ATM" machine.
    Establish a relationship with a reputable "Casa De Cambio", (Exchange House") near your home here in the DR, and cash your personal checks on the Canadian bank there.
    No chance of "ATM" fraud, VERY common here in the DR, AND, a better exchange rate too!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

7. Likes robbie liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cash a canadian Cheque????

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon View Post
    EXCEPT, don't use an "ATM" machine.
    Establish a relationship with a reputable "Casa De Cambio", (Exchange House") near your home here in the DR, and cash your personal checks on the Canadian bank there.
    No chance of "ATM" fraud, VERY common here in the DR, AND, a better exchange rate too!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    Sorry Criss,- doubt the OP will be able to cash a Canadian cheque. Best thing would be to open a USA account with the OP's bank (many Canadian banks do this) then get USA checks and ---no problem at the Casa De Cambio's

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll ask about Canadian bank checks next time I go.
    If they honour Canadian bank's ATM" cards, why not???
    "Confederate" money"?????????????????
    "The South Shall Rise Again"!!!!!!!
    c

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I doubt they will accept any canadian checks....last year when the Canadian dollar was worth more than the US dollar the banks and casa de cambio were still screwing us out of about 4 or 5 pesos per dollar

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup, even the Cdn cash took a hit ....

I just go the US $$ route.... accounts in all my banks are 'dual', either / or.

But in RD, I just use US$$.. checks and cash

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    Another question about Canadian pensions. I have a friend who was married to a Canadian man last year. He went home for his 6 months and a day and died while there. They were married here and i doubt if the marriage was registered in Canada, but she was advised by a Canadian that she had the right to a widow's pension. She has no Social security number from Canada nor has she ever been there. I downloaded 15 pages from the internet, but this type of thing is not my forte. We went to the Canadian Consulate four times before finally finding them open today. My simple question is : Is she eligible for a pension, never having been in Canada. The woman at the consulate says she has no idea and sent me to the internet. Does any one know? I have had three Canadians all presently in Canada tell me they'd call and ask, but they never get around to it.
    Thanks
    Der Fish
    how long were they married and does she have a marriage license?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast