LT Info Please

TobyS

Oct 18, 2013
Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, I browsed and browsed but couldn't find.
My wife and I are flying into Santo Domingo on Christmas day and staying until the 27th. We are hoping to catch a bus up to Las Terrenas (the direct bus, not Caribe Tours) and rent a car in town when we get there so we can travel around from there. A few questions -

1. How is driving in the smaller towns in DR? I know Santo Domingo is crazy. I have experience in Costa Rica, Panama, and Mexico.
2. Is there anywhere to rent a car in Las Terrenas? I know there are places at the airport, but a place in the city would be grand.
3. Our flight leaves on December 31st at 4:45 PM. How reliable are the busses? Will we be ok trying to make it from Las Terrenas to Santo Domingo on the day of the 31st, or should we head back the 30th and stay in Santo?

Thank you very much!

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
try nelly rent a car look up the web site and call. dr is a crazy drive but if you are a good driver you will be ok just dont drive like a cab in ny and let others get there way

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
The bus company is Transporte las Terrenas, they are reliable and have an office in LT. The bus leaves LT 9am and 2pm, often quite full so be 30 min. in advance there (in front of cafe franceis). It takes 2,5 hours to SD, but they can drop you near airport and its a short taxidrive from there. I always go to SD the day before, enjoy the evening there and take the flight next day without stress.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Horarios Guagua P?blica Minibus - Las Terrenas Live ! - Transportes.

there is your information and the hours for the buses for LT.. be aware that indeed they will leave when they are full so get there early .. particularly over the holiday. Also be sure to have a reservation in LT over Christmas as it has become the destination.

Yes, there are lots of cars to rent in LT as well as ATVs and motor bikes.

You have to be at the airport two hours before the flight.. so.. the 5 am or even 9 AM buses should get you to the airport in time. Ask to be let off at the highway and have them call you a cab to the airport from there. Just make sure that they are not going to be running on some sort of holiday schedule.

does that solve it for you?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Better reserve your car early, because you won't have many options left during the holidays.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
You would be better off renting a car at the Las Americas Airport and driving to Las Terrenas. It is a 2-2.5 hour ride and fairly easy. Yes it will be more expensive than the bus but worth the comfort around the holidays.

LTSteve

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
But its often funny in the bus.
Take care your luggage doesn't stay under five others, they don't have extra space for luggage as for instance caribe.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Driving in SD is absolutely crazy. No traffic lights in many places. People going down one way streets the wrong way. People creating their own driving lanes. I love it. It is the cheapest entertainment you can find. Las Terrenas is as crazy in its own right. There are many moto bikes and you will find cars and bikes on either side of you. You must have eyes in the back of your head. There are also many people walking in the roadways and dogs and kids also. Take care when driving. It is like being in a real life video game.

LTSteve