Internet and Cable in Sosua and Puerto Plata

HarryLB13

Feb 21, 2012
To you guys who live in the Sosua and Puerto Plata area, can you comment on the internet speed?
Are there lots of internet outages? Is there high speed internet speed available if I am willing to
pay for the increased speed?

In Panama, for example, 60 cable channels is normal with and more movie channels can be added for
an increased cost. What about the number and quality of cable channels in the Sosua and Puerto Plata area?

Thanks
Harry

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
To you guys who live in the Sosua and Puerto Plata area, can you comment on the internet speed?
Are there lots of internet outages? Is there high speed internet speed available if I am willing to
pay for the increased speed?

In Panama, for example, 60 cable channels is normal with and more movie channels can be added for
an increased cost. What about the number and quality of cable channels in the Sosua and Puerto Plata area?

Thanks
Harry

I live in Sosua. Get TV from Delancer. Lots of channels, and more if you want to pay a little extra.

I get internet from Claro, the telephone company. Service not great but ok, and you have a choice of speeds, each with a price attached.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Cabarete has Cable Del Norte for TV and they also offer Cable Modems for Internet. Claro is now offering TV over DSL and with a satellite dish.

I have Claro DSL and it works well. I have Cable Del Norte for TV for our apartments but don't watch it myself.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I live in Sosua. Get TV from Delancer. Lots of channels, and more if you want to pay a little extra.

I get internet from Claro, the telephone company. Service not great but ok, and you have a choice of speeds, each with a price attached.

The maximum speed you can get will be based upon your distance from the central station for DSL from Claro.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Just did a test, 2.2Mbps download and 550Kbps upload, this is standard Claro that is shared here in our condos, this is really a good day, the upload is the one that becomes really bad at times. So much so that even Skype suffers (or RDP, SSH etc.), so if you are just browsing or doing casual use it's fine, but make sure you subscribe to better tariffs for work/business.

HarryLB13

Feb 21, 2012
Thanks guys for the excellent information. It answered my questions about internet and cable. As for phone, I would hope
to use Magic Jack Plus.
Harry

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
speed? we were visiting poland few weeks ago and there was an internet commercial on TV, 100 mega per second. miesposo looked and said bitterly: 100 mega? we get 7...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
...and the 7 mega here cost as much as 3 100 mega connections in Poland / Germany etc...

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
In South Korea businesses and homes are getting 1000Mbps, it is all relative, it depends how much time you have on your hand and how fast your life goes. Here in DR, I think people have a lot of time !!!