Keeping your wallet safe . . . as you age

sonrisa

Dec 23, 2008
Ringo had a nice, a very nice article on the north coast thread about finding a wallet in the street and seeking to reconnect the owner with its rightful owner. Wow! Wish there were more people like that.

Obviously the best way to avoid such an incident is not to allow it to happen in the first place. So how do you protect your wallet and its contents from accidentally losing it, leaving it somewhere or having it stolen?

Originally I begin to address this question on my travels to foreign trips such as the DR, but now include much of the same behavior when I'm in my home town.

As for me, I start with eliminating much of the contents inside the wallet to a credit and debit card, some cash, some identification. When in the DR and other places, I safely store all my other cards and cash. Since all my ATM fees are paid for by my bank, I don't need to take out huge amounts . . . maybe 5,000 or 10,000 Dominican pesos at most and don't carry much more than 2000-3000 pesos with me at anytime. Taking out a limited amount from an ATM also keeps me from storing too much in my apartment.

Two times a year I purchase a new light-weight mesh wallet from a travel store. The wallet has some protection zippers and a Velcro opening. Most importantly, it has a fairly unnoticeable chain that I place through two loops of my pants and around my belt. The chain allows me to access the wallet . . . but not by much . . . which is okay with me. If I'm in a crowded place I'll move it to my front pocket.

Mentioning the front pocket, I usually carry a little leather credit card carrier in my front pocket with some fake credit cards sent to me in promotions along with a little cash. If someone were to try and rob me, I'd reach in that pocket and give them that wallet. Fortunately, never had to do that yet and even if I had to give up even my main wallet, it would be a limited loss. Only attempted robbery I've experienced with the wallet was when a group crowded around me in a Barcelona subway when it wasn't all that crowded. Fortunately I'd been warned about that trick and I realized they were working as a group as the doors closed, they didn't spread out and I felt pressure on my back pocket (should have had the wallet in my front pocket). So on that occasion I simply pretended to have an allergic reaction and started fake sneezing out loud while also spreading plenty of watery germs around me as everyone in the car including the thieves and non-thieves alike stared at me and my sudden sneezing attack. I pushed my way through the group while saying "Lo siento, lo siento" as if I were trying politely to protect them from my germs. Fortunately it worked, but just as a snub to the group (probably not a wise move, but sure fun), when I got to the other side of the car my sneezing amazingly subsided and I intentionally allowed them to see me move my wallet from my back pocket to the front pocket while I adjusted the chain tightly.

However, my biggest concern about losing my wallet is me. Accidentally dropping it or leaving it, especially since I've found a few gray hairs in my ears (as of earlier today thankfully eliminated until at least next Tuesday). The peace of mind that wallet provides me is well-deserved and well-earned over the years and now I only use that wallet.

So do any of you have any other ideas, suggestions, additions, improvements or whatever else in taking care of what's yours.

mustang88

Jun 19, 2010
i wear a fag bag.............oops ....i mean one of those pouch things that go around your waist....wallet, smokes. lighter, loose change in various compartments.......................not very stylish i admit, but then neither am i...lol

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
The problem that I had was finding the owner. The ID's told me a lot but only give an area. One phone number did not work. The other did, we learned later, but went into voice mail that was someone else's. It would have been so easy to have a small card with his name, number and e-mail on it.

I use a business card "wallet" for my ID's and a couple of my business cards that fits into my shirt pocket or front pants pocket when in a crowd. Cash is always in my front pocket.

I have copied all my papers, passport, insurance, lawyer's card that I keep in my car so I hand that over to the cops when they ask for my ID's I hand them that. I've never had a problem doing that and I don't risk having a problem with them wanting to hold onto my originals for ransom.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
The problem that I had was finding the owner. The ID's told me a lot but only give an area. One phone number did not work. The other did, we learned later, but went into voice mail that was someone else's. It would have been so easy to have a small card with his name, number and e-mail on it.

I use a business card "wallet" for my ID's and a couple of my business cards that fits into my shirt pocket or front pants pocket when in a crowd. Cash is always in my front pocket.

I have copied all my papers, passport, insurance, lawyer's card that I keep in my car so I hand that over to the cops when they ask for my ID's I hand them that. I've never had a problem doing that and I don't risk having a problem with them wanting to hold onto my originals for ransom.

Excellent advice, except you need to show an original license to AMET if and when they pull you over. I also have my papers photocopied, but when I show it to AMET they always demand to see a license. I even tell them 'my lawyer says I don't need the original,' but every time (5 times) they tell me original or pull over.
Photocopies seem to work everywhere else.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I used to carry my wallet in a back pocket. But then I had the pocket picked on a bus in Venezuela. Now it is always in my front pocket, even when, as now, I am visiting family in the US.

When carrying passport, a lot of cash, etc, it is in a bag I wear around my neck.

May 29, 2006
I pretty much stopped using a wallet since I usually use cash. I keep extra cash and my cards in my car in a small gun safe I got at Tractor Supply for $20. It has a cable on it so I can secure it to the passenger seat and I tuck it under the seat out of site. I'm definitely bringing it to the DR on my next trip to prevent casual theft. I don't trust hotel safes at all. A money belt is another item I might get along with a passport pouch. With pants pockets, Velcro is your friend.

Stack-On Portable Security Case with Lock - Tractor Supply Online Store

I check that me keys, wallet and cell are on me non stop when out. I think i pat myself down at least 20 times a day! Have always done this since I was young!
My wallet is always in my front pocket now. I used to have a full packed wallet with many CC's and various other cards. In the Dr I really don't need to carry much!

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I use a money clip! I carry only the amount of money I budget for that outing. I don't drive so no licence needed. Only carry what I need. Travel light.

drescape24

May 29, 2006
The nice thing about Tourist Season is there is no shortage of drunk mongers flashing wads of cash with fancy cell phones. The pick-pockets tend to go for low hanging fruit..

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I check that me keys, wallet and cell are on me non stop when out. I think i pat myself down at least 20 times a day! Have always done this since I was young!
My wallet is always in my front pocket now. I used to have a full packed wallet with many CC's and various other cards. In the Dr I really don't need to carry much!

I pictured you more of a purse carrying kinda lady!

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Here is a good trick if you are going some where that you might not think it is safe. Take an old wallet put in some old credit cards alone with 20 peso bills. If you get stopped acted very scared and pull out the wallet and throw it on the ground than turn and run. The thief will be more interested in the wallet than you.