Sell SUV here and buy there? or Ship small SUV?

CMercedes

Jun 28, 2013
www.Bailaconpasion.com
Looking for experienced advice guys....

We are trying to figure out if we should ship my SUV there or sell it here and then lease or purchase one there? .....Don't know which will be better.

Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2008 fully loaded including DVD player in ceiling
I own the car- it is fully paid for

Is it best to ship it from the US to there or to sell it here and lease or purchase one there?

Can anyone tell me if they even have a lease option there? (I am sure that going to car dealership there as an American woman will be worse than going here! I am sure that the wolves there are way more aggressive and much more hungry. haha) Of course my husband will be with me but I am also well aware of the differences in thought processes on this.

We appreciate any and all experienced input! Thanks guys! ;-)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Sell There, Buy Here!
With the following stipulations.
There are no "Lease Options" here, so you will have to "Buy".
The interest rates here are ASTRONOMICAL, so you must pay cash.
You will have to pay around $1,000 US to ship the car here.
Then you will "Wait" for it to arrive, then..........................
There are ALWAYS "Problemas" getting you vehicle through Customs once you get here.
That's, "My Humble Opinion".
There will be OTHERS!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CMercedes

Jun 28, 2013
www.Bailaconpasion.com
CCCCCCCCCCC......... This is the EXACT kind of thing that we needed to know! Perfect! Thank you!

For anyone else that will need this info in the future....
I just spoke with someone at Montero and he told me that the cost for them to ship my SUV from Miami to Santo Domingo (I have to get the vehicle to Miami myself- they do not have transport from wherever you are to Miami) is a flat $1025. That includes the shipping of the vehicle and all paperwork on the US side. Once the vehicle would arrive in Santo Domingo there is another fee of $350 for them to file the paperwork on the DR side for us and then the duty import fees are 18% of the US value of the vehicle.

I hope that this information will help someone else in the future! :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That 18% is not the US value of the vehicle, it is whatever they decide that day what the value will be once it is in the DR. And there may be more charges on top of that to get it out "quickly", luxury tax, etc, etc....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sell and buy. some money will be lost in the process but you will save on nerves and frustrations. that accounts for something as well. you can stay with hyundai brand and get another santa fe or tucson. they are more and more popular in DR and that means there are parts, mechanics and you can fix them easily.

CMercedes

Jun 28, 2013
www.Bailaconpasion.com
Thanks Windeguy....I just posted what they told me at Montero. They said that the duty tax is 18% of what the vehicle is worth here in the US. I am quite sure that the person that told me that was some customer service person who really doesn't give a hoot whether or not the info they provide is correct or not so you are quite likely correct. I am sure that there would be many additional fees such as....ummm...well a 'sun is shining tax'. haha I just posted what I was told in case anyone else is going through the same process as we are. :)

Dv8.... less stress and worry is WAY worth the money 'lost'! I agree with you. I love my little Santa Fe Limited and am sad to part with her but if I can get one just like her...all is well! :)

thanks guys for the input! It is appreciated! ;-)

One more question....can anyone recommend a reputable dealership in Santo Domingo or at least someplace that you have dealt with in the past and had a decent experience? I would be looking to purchase another Santa Fe Limited if possible.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have a 2010 santa fe. i really like it. granted, my little suzuki is da best, of course! but you can, occasionally, find a good deal for a car here. i know i did. you just need someone who knows about cars. i barely know how to drive one ;)

CMercedes

Jun 28, 2013
www.Bailaconpasion.com
DV8....lol....I am ok driving here but crazy nervous about driving there! I have never appreciated a taxi more than when I have been in Santo Domingo in the past! haha :classic

My husband has already started to look around and said that he has found several so we will go look together next weekend. I hate to admit it but I am actually attached to this vehicle! haha I would really like for us to have the same thing there if we can. I know that it will be a little more expensive there but geez, I wish we could lease for a little while. it is ok though...things happen for a reason. Thanks for your help!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
SuperCarros - Rep?blica Dominicana - compra de carros, venta de vehiculos

16 pages of them here..

I have done it both ways - shipped and bought locally.

I wouldn't be afraid of shipping in... saves shelling out for a new car.

And you know thew car/history/etc.

If you're buying new.... doesn't matter much.

The estimate going around these days is to add 50% to the car's value for taxes coming in ... unless you can use the incoming resident rule

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Adsolute "BEST" thing you have to learn, you ALREADY KNOW!!!!!
"Trust NO One"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Magna Motors" has proven it's self to be one of, if not, the BEST dealerships in the DR!
My friend has owned two "Tucson 2 wheel drive models" from them.
Their "After Service" is almost USA quality.
They give a ,"5 Year. 50,000 mile" warrantee if I am not mistaken.
If you are not going to go, "Off Road", or on the dirt roads in the "Campo" he/I, think 2 wheel is enough.
The "Santa Fe" is a little bigger, more "High End" but, to me, not worth the higher price tag.
If/When you buy, get the extra added bumpers, front & rear, installed at the dealership.
Depending on where you live in the USA, be prepared for "Sticker Shock" when you see how much it will cost you for Insurance"!!!!
Good Luck, I have a "Gut Feeling" that you are going to do "Just Fine" here in the DR!!!
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ours is not limited. it's a company car so i guess they must have shelled on a basic version. it is comfy and nice, thou, even on long rides.

do not worry about driving here. just today i was coming home, entering the gate and remembering how miesposo had to help me out at first because i could not drive all that well in tight spaces, and my car back then was so tiny! in time you gain confidence. step by step. you know how to drive already. just learn to go with the flow in DR. do not get upset at honking and pushing. take your time. you will fit in very soon. it just takes time to get used to the craziness, that's all.

my best advice regarding driving is to look in the mirrors. a lot more than you may be used to. keep an eye on everything. all will be well :)

btw, i loved my little honda capa. i was sad to part with her. but i am really happy with my new car too. emotional transfer ;)

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I used their online form asking for a detailed offer for a Tucson "full" last Friday at 6 PM. I had not much hope to hear anything. But lo and behold. Saturday morning at 9:30 AM I had it in my email! Follow up questions were answered right away. Sorry for the salesman though that I did order the car here in PC at El Tanque motors (they are the authorized dealer here in PC for Magna Motors).

The Adsolute "BEST" thing you have to learn, you ALREADY KNOW!!!!!
"Trust NO One"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Magna Motors" has proven it's self to be one of, if not, the BEST dealerships in the DR!
My friend has owned two "Tucson 2 wheel drive models" from them.
Their "After Service" is almost USA quality.
They give a ,"5 Year. 50,000 mile" warrantee if I am not mistaken.
If you are not going to go, "Off Road", or on the dirt roads in the "Campo" he/I, think 2 wheel is enough.
The "Santa Fe" is a little bigger, more "High End" but, to me, not worth the higher price tag.
If/When you buy, get the extra added bumpers, front & rear, installed at the dealership.
Depending on where you live in the USA, be prepared for "Sticker Shock" when you see how much it will cost you for Insurance"!!!!
Good Luck, I have a "Gut Feeling" that you are going to do "Just Fine" here in the DR!!!
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CMercedes

Jun 28, 2013
www.Bailaconpasion.com
CCCCCC.....
Thank you!! I really do love my Santa Fe and will definitely be contacting the Magna Motors co! For sure. We will very likely buy instead of shipping. No camp driving for us...well at least that I know of right now! haha

I also do need to check into insurance as well, most definitely. I even just had to get added insurance for the rental cars I just booked for when I first get there so we have a vehicle in the time frame before mine is sold here. That insurance though was through the car rental company....totally different than everyday car insurance.

"Good Luck, I have a "Gut Feeling" that you are going to do "Just Fine" here in the DR!!!"...thank you!! I LOVE it there and can't get there fast enough!! I am totally amazed at how smoothly things have gone so far and how easy all of this has been. We have literally had opportunities, apartments, commercial space....everything come to us! I have many friends here in the US from there that have been a tremendous help not to mention all of you here!! I can't wait to being this new chapter...so far it has been amazing and I am not even there yet! :)

DV8....
I am pretty good in tight spaces, I used to live in DC for 11 years and became a champion parallel parker! haha Now the honking / pushing...that will be a change for me even from DC (though it has been years since I was in DC)! I dont like aggressive anything so driving is no exception! ha! I am sure I will adjust though.

I can't wait for all of the amazing things ahead!! Thanks guys for your input! You have all helped us so much in so many ways!!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
One thing to remember buying in the DR is that you will pay a lot more for the same vehicle than you did in the States. The import tax in the DR is very high and this is past on to you. I would say ship the vehicle and you will be far ahead of the game. If you can afford a new vehicle that is different but if you are going to buy a used vehicle than ship yours. You know what you have.Buying used in the DR can be a crap shoot.

LTSteve