Bringing my Dog

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Hello,

Upon my return, I will be bringing my dog. From what I have read, I need a "Certificate of Vaccination Against Rabies", and a "Certificate of Health" I assume these should be in Spanish, is that so? Is there anything else I will need upon entering at POP?

Also, does anyone have experience transporting animals as checked bags via Delta or AA? Issues, troubles, special paperwork needed?

Thanks

SultanofSwing

Jun 22, 2012
We brought our dogs with us about 8 years ago as checked baggage as they each weighed about 100 lbs. We were on AA. We had to have them at the airport loading area about 3 hours before the flight. No problems with the flying. Once we landed in Santiago we did tell them we had animals so we got through customs rather quickly and could get over to where they were kept to let them out of the carriers.
Good luck with your travels.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Yes, I would be sure to have all Docs translated just in case somebody give you a hard time although I'm sure all Airport Personnel must speak English or be a favorite for hire if they do with all of the tourist coming in..

Amy O'Neal

May 3, 2013
I just brought my three yorkies through POP in August. Two were in cabin and one was checked. AA and Delta will not take your dog as checked luggage if the temps are forecasted above 85 degrees at any point in the trip. I'm not sure when you are coming back but we had to fly our one checked dog on United because they are the only ones without a temp restriction due to their air conditioned facilities. As far as the documents from the vet, english is fine. Honestly they only barely looked at the one dog's document at POP. I don't think they even looked at the other dog's at all. They just wanted us to pay the fee and then let us through.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
if the temps are forecasted above 85 degrees .

Thanks everyone. The 85 rule is why she is still in the states, and not here yet. Do they go by the high temp for the day, or the heat index? If it is the heat index, I am screwed. I will be flying the end of November, so I should be okay?

Der Fish, I am flying from Denver, I am not sure if I am going through Miami or JFK yet. There is a large Spanish population in Colorado, so I am hoping I can find a Spanish speaking vet.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I have brought my dog in and out many times. You do not need the forms translated into Spanish. You will be these from your Vet . When you arrive in the DR someone will spot you at the airport and look at your paperwork. You will need to pay about 300 pesos to gain approval to bring in the dog. The guy will give you a copy of a form he fills out. Save this in case you every want to take the dog back out of the country.

LTSTeve

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We brought our dog from Denver with out any problems. He did fly in the coach cabin with us.
You need your paperwork (English is fine) and they do not recognize the 3 year rabies shot so you will need to make sure you have had one within 1 year. Yes the airlines do have the 85 degree rule so shipping during the summer is almost impossible.
When you land you pay your $10 fee and that is it. You will need the same paper work done here if you plan on taking your doge out of the DR as well.

Bob K

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
If you're flying into POP, I strongly suggest that your dog's documentation being in Spanish. POP is not Santo Domingo. Their papers and vaccines must be less than 10 days prior to your arrival in the DR. That's the law...

Last edited:

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
If you're flying into POP, I strongly suggest that your dog's documentation being in Spanish. POP is not Santo Domingo. Their papers and vaccines must be less than 10 days prior to your arrival in the DR. That's the law...

Thanks,

From what I understand, the Rabies has to be at least 30 days prior to arrival, and the health Certificate issued 15 days prior to arrival. (10 days is AAs policy for the health certificate).

I will have them in Spanish, thanks

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
When I arrived here with my 2 cats (Nov. 2011) all the papers and shots had to be less than 10 days old. Certificate had to be in Spanish. Mine was in French, English and Spanish.

Better check with the customes web site on call the Ambassy but don't believe what they tell you about passports for your dog.... It's a way to make money.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Before you go through the stress of obtaining documentation check with the airline regarding embargo dates, usually summer and special periods. These are dates the airlines will not transport animals in cargo holds due to heat concerns or periods of high cargo volumes. ie: Christmas rush.

Regards

PJT

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
English will be fine

The embargo has dates attached to it -- not specific days-"too hot today, try tomorrow"

checkw/thae airlines as to when animals in cargo are allowed

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
English will be fine

The embargo has dates attached to it -- not specific days-"too hot today, try tomorrow"

checkw/thae airlines as to when animals in cargo are allowed

Agree with WW here. I brought my GR in November of 2012. I got all the information as to which documents are needed by calling the airline I traveled with, Delta. Basically I needed vaccine shots not sooner than 30 days and the vet certificate had to be no older than 10 days. Make sure that the kennel you bring him in are to the airlines specs, again, this can be verified by calling or checking the airline's website about live animals. I asked my vet in NY about giving my dog a "pill" to help him relax. He recommended it and says that he doesn't let his dog fly without it. If you choose to have your dog "drugged" place a sticker or write somewhere on the kennel "DOG IS ACE'D". This is so that the flight crew knows in case they see the dogs eye drooping. Make sure you let as many flight crew as you can know that you are the owner of the dog. Once you land in DR, you can proceed to the area where you will have to pay $10US and they will typewrite (yes, typewrite) a document showing that the dog is ready to enter the DR.

I forgot to mention that you you should arrive at the departing airport at least 4 hours before departure. This is because you will have to transport the dog to a holding area where they will x ray the kennel and do other checks. Hope this helped.

I brought 3 cats and 2 dogs 10 months ago and I got Pet Passports for them online. Check Pettravelstore.com. It had a lot of info on there and I believe the forms were in Spanish and English. It is not a must to have it in Spanish as my Vet did not Speak Spanish but i think it can be helpful.

Check your Airline for what they require. In Vancouver I went a few days before to get the papers signed and stamped at the Airport form some guy I had to see before we left for POP. It was suggested it is easier than doing it the day you fly.

Your vet in your City should know what is required to fly. I do believe we have to have the check ups within 10 days of arrival to POP.

I have been told many times not to give your pets sedatives when flying as it can mess with their Equilibrium. Natural things like Rescue Remedy should be fine though.
As said before your airlines will also tell you when you can bring pets to POP. November should be fine.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I got a hold of the vet where the dog is currently located. They are telling me, I need to being her in for the exam, and then they send the exam results to the USDA who then sends a health certificate. The vet said the USDA needs "a week" to process it. American Airlines requires the certificate to be less then 10 days old, so having a week process time is cutting it a little close. Is this the norm, or do I need to find a vet that is a little less worries about being "official" and just print me up a certificate or letter of some sorts.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's all we ever did - had a certificate of good health from a local vet, <10 days old.

Worked w/ AA in MIA and WestJet in Canada

Somebody's working too hard on your behalf, methinks.

How much are they charging.... ??

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Yea, that is what I was thinking. They want $275 for the rabies and health certificate

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
WRONG!!!!

Switch vets.... ridiculous.

If you are a regular client, it may be free.
Whoever normally sees the dog should do it.