More On Vests And ID For Sosua Motoconchos

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It will be interesting to see if this is enforced. Not mentioned is what about all the other local motorcycle owners who cruise the streets looking for passengers. Are they included in the "pirate motoconchos"?

From today's Sosua News:

Tuesday afternoon, October 15th mayor Ilana Neumann, in company of the commanders of the National Police and Traffic Police, held a meeting with some thirty motorcycle taxi drivers. The meeting was held next to the town hall of Sos?a in the shade of the trees. The motoconchos received a vest with number and an identification card. Furthermore, they were assigned to a fixed stand. Only from this stand they are allowed to pick up passengers for a motorcycle taxi ride. This is in order to prevent unfair competition. The commander of the traffic police warned the motoconchos that they, from now on, have to wear their vest as they exercise their profession of motorcycle taxi (motoconcho). The Amet (traffic police) officers will strictly check on it. Furthermore, a motoconcho has to be in possession of valid ownership and insurance documents.

With this introduction of wearing vests and ID, pirate motoconchos from elsewhere, who often cause much inconvenience, can easily be recognized and excluded.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
One spot in all of Sosua where you can legally get a ride from a motoconcho.

Not necessarily, that is not clear. When I read it I thought about Puerto Plata where motoconcheros have a fixed location, but there are a number of fixed locations. For example, Centro Medico Bournigal is one of them, and for some, that is where those with that stand spend the day.

But we will see.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Not necessarily, that is not clear. When I read it I thought about Puerto Plata where motoconcheros have a fixed location, but there are a number of fixed locations. For example, Centro Medico Bournigal is one of them, and for some, that is where those with that stand spend the day.

But we will see.

the thing with POP is that it has numerous fixed locations. everywhere. if you have just one, in a town the size of Sosua, that is idiocy. they need several locations with 2 or 3 guys. any child can figure that. when the mayor gets to be as smart as a kid, she might figure that one out, too.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
the thing with POP is that it has numerous fixed locations. everywhere. if you have just one, in a town the size of Sosua, that is idiocy. they need several locations with 2 or 3 guys. any child can figure that. when the mayor gets to be as smart as a kid, she might figure that one out, too.

As I said in the message you quoted, that may be what is planned in Sosua. We don't know yet. The piece in SN was not clear, which is often the case.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
My guess is that there will be several stands. Even the Mayor isn't stupid enough to only have one. So it will be pretty much as it is now, with the guys congregating at certain spots, where they exchange tips on motorcycle maintenance, safe driving and the laws of the road!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
My guess is that there will be several stands. Even the Mayor isn't stupid enough to only have one. So it will be pretty much as it is now, with the guys congregating at certain spots, where they exchange tips on motorcycle maintenance, safe driving and the laws of the road!

thanks, drstock. you gave me my first belly laugh for today...

May 29, 2006
More idiocy. In other words, the moto guys can only make money going in one direction and if there is a big event, only a handful of bikes will be available. They'll be able to charge 100 pesos for a 20 peso ride. What next? They can drop people off in Sosua from Cabarete, but they can't take someone back?

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
So, now I will have to walk to a moto stand to get a ride somewhere instead of stepping out my door to get one? Friggin dumb if you ask me....it will never hold up.

(There are taxi stands in Sosua but I can get a taxi ride by just walking out on the street and waving one down.)

I am all for control as far as id's go.

Last edited:

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
My friend

As I said in the message you quoted, that may be what is planned in Sosua. We don't know yet. The piece in SN was not clear, which is often the case.

How are they going to differentiate between a motoconcho and a guy with a moto who is driving his friend?:knockedou:(

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Is there not a taxi association that has over priced trips in a taxi in the DR?

I can see the price of rides on motoconcho's skyrocketing.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Some of you will debate anything. IMO, this and just about every new law in the last 20 years will not be enforced for ... more then a couple of days at most.

Another: Much to do about nothing.

Nothing changes and has not changed as far as D.R. or local laws are concerned and unfortunately, some things.... a lot of things need to changed. Just not in our lifetimes.

Your lives will not be disrupted even if they DID move the moto stands. Really... you will survive.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Well some of you will survive and others? Substitute "Motoconcho" where applicable.

[video=youtube;Gw3eP2JPFIY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Gw3eP2JPFIY[/video]

May 29, 2006
You make a good point Ringo. It's still low season and they haven't got much else to do than try to *fix* things. Assuming people are going to come back in at least some numbers, *the authorities* will have other things to worry about..

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
You make a good point Ringo. It's still low season and they haven't got much else to do than try to *fix* things. Assuming people are going to come back in at least some numbers, *the authorities* will have other things to worry about..

But did you like the vid? lol.