Health / Medical Insurance?

CMercedes

Jun 28, 2013
www.Bailaconpasion.com
Hi guys....
Can anyone recommend a good health / medical insurance carrier there in the DR? Most of the threads that I found on this subject are not recent at all. Thanks for your help as always! ;-)

CMercedes

Jun 28, 2013
www.Bailaconpasion.com
Thanks Harleysrock.....we will be located in the Punta Cana area. Who is your insurance with? Did you get it directly from the carrier or did you use an agent? That is really reasonable...cheap actually if you compare it to what I pay here! OMG!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have "Universal" for my wife and I, plus 4 children.
Costs about $1,600 US dollars per year.
It's nothing like USA medical insurance, but it gives you some piece of mind!
Each company is different, and offers different levels of coverage, from "Basic", to "Platino"!
It has saved me well over a million pesos in 15 years.
Get Some!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
For piece of mind in this country this should be your first priority. It's a real bargain. I am with ARS Humano and have plan Max for 3 adults and 2 children for $1900. My policy is loaded by may age 66 and the fact that I had heart surgery.

Humano. (809)- 476-3535. 1 (809)- 200-4903.
ARS Humano

I use "plan royal" it cost me the astronomical amount of more or less 1500peso month. They can make a auto-pay from your visa/creditcard to avoid the trip to POP every month. (Or the closest office)
Sometimes this work, but most likely you have come to their office once a month since something is wrong with the autopay..

Yes the Seguro Medico works when you need to use it- No you dont get punished when using it.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Universal or Humano are generally considered the best.
We go through an agent, William Harpers in Punta Cana Village. About RD$50,000 a year for two adults and one child.

CMercedes

Jun 28, 2013
www.Bailaconpasion.com
This is really helpful you guys! Thank you. I will be calling both companies tomorrow. Are there issues at all with pre-existing conditions or is that US thing?

I am thinking that it may be a US thing since Jinty05, you had your heart surgery. I am glad that you are ok!!

Feb 7, 2007
Universal or Constitucion. I do not recommend Hmano or Palic - they require preauthorization even if you want to pee. By preauthorization I do not mean like calling to a call centre to get approval code as all insurance companies do, but rather having to go to an office to get preapproval and a printout that you take with you to the doctor. Universal and Constitucion are more flexible in that matter.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, pre-authorisation is a pain, but a good agent will do it for you and send you the authorisation by e-mail.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We are with Universal through a group plan and pay about $60US a month for the two of us. Yes there is a clause on pre existing conditions and I believe it was either 6 months or a year on non payment for pre existing.

Bob K

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my advice, like above, is to go with humano or universal. check the plans and pick up the best for you. you can include maternity, dental, medicine and a variety of other extras.

this will be your life saver. get the insurance as soon as you arrive. some people take DR really bad with stomach bugs, infections and so on. it takes time to acclimatize. each time you are sick you pay, pay and pay. insurance will give you some security and peace of mind.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
WILLIAM HARPER & ASOC. Address: Galerias Punta Cana, Punta Cana. Phone: 809 959 0270.
Merielis Montilla
mmontilla [at] whaseguros.com