Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Health / Medical Insurance?

Hi guys....
    Can anyone recommend a good health / medical insurance carrier there in the DR? Most of the threads that I found on this subject are not recent at all. Thanks for your help as always! ;-)

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

We use Universal located in Sosua, there is also one in Cabarete. Not sure of other locations? Cost $1000 for the Wife and I for a year.
    Where are you located?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Harleysrock.....we will be located in the Punta Cana area. Who is your insurance with? Did you get it directly from the carrier or did you use an agent? That is really reasonable...cheap actually if you compare it to what I pay here! OMG!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have "Universal" for my wife and I, plus 4 children.
    Costs about $1,600 US dollars per year.
    It's nothing like USA medical insurance, but it gives you some piece of mind!
    Each company is different, and offers different levels of coverage, from "Basic", to "Platino"!
    It has saved me well over a million pesos in 15 years.
    Get Some!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

This is great you guys! Thanks. We definitely have to have it even though I am sure it is very different than here. It is a must for us. Researching it now. :-)

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

For piece of mind in this country this should be your first priority. It's a real bargain. I am with ARS Humano and have plan Max for 3 adults and 2 children for $1900. My policy is loaded by may age 66 and the fact that I had heart surgery.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Humano. (809)- 476-3535. 1 (809)- 200-4903.
    ARS Humano

I use "plan royal" it cost me the astronomical amount of more or less 1500peso month. They can make a auto-pay from your visa/creditcard to avoid the trip to POP every month. (Or the closest office)
    Sometimes this work, but most likely you have come to their office once a month since something is wrong with the autopay..

Yes the Seguro Medico works when you need to use it- No you dont get punished when using it.

8. Likes Domphil liked this post
    Dislikes Domphil disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Universal or Humano are generally considered the best.
    We go through an agent, William Harpers in Punta Cana Village. About RD$50,000 a year for two adults and one child.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

This is really helpful you guys! Thank you. I will be calling both companies tomorrow. Are there issues at all with pre-existing conditions or is that US thing?

I am thinking that it may be a US thing since Jinty05, you had your heart surgery. I am glad that you are ok!!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Universal or Constitucion. I do not recommend Hmano or Palic - they require preauthorization even if you want to pee. By preauthorization I do not mean like calling to a call centre to get approval code as all insurance companies do, but rather having to go to an office to get preapproval and a printout that you take with you to the doctor. Universal and Constitucion are more flexible in that matter.

12. Likes ctrob liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast