Meat

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Just bought a freezer and want to fill it with good us beef.Any suggestions as to a meat wholesaler or a place to buy in bulk at a reasonable price, in SD.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"La Sirena". "Pola",National', "Price Mart" and others,have USA Meats, and chicken. SOMETIMES.
Wouldn't it have been cheaper to just buy a "Pressure Cooker"??????
What are you going to do when everything "Melts, have a DR1 "Bar-B-Q"??????????
Not worried about your electric bill?
"Shrinkage"?????
Good Luck!
I have never known anyone in the DR to have a stand alone freezer.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
My mother has a stand alone freezer that she hardly opens except to move the meat for the week to the refrigerator freezer and it works great. It keeps everything frozen even when during Los apagones. Then again where she lives the lights do not go out for very long.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Hi there.

For never frozen twice a week imported go to national supermarket in 27 febrero, the only one.

Already frozen angus prime choice or select and good salmon look up mopaxport. Com they cut you the steak to your like, I like them 2 inch thick.

Good luck...

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
I am convinced the meat here is good, after all,in the campo, the animals are all grass fed. It seems the problem with the beef is that it just isn't properly aged, if at all. I know in the market here in Bayaguana, the beef arrives within hours of the slaughter, cut up y the vendor and into the pot all in under a few hours.

It would surely pay to have a curing store, temp controlled to allow the meat to age naturally in hygenic conditions, then butchered into the cuts we can identify. If I buy ox tail here in the village, you spend some time cleaning out the splinters left behind by the meat cleaver, as he has no saw to cut the tail properly. Bought 2 last week in La Cadena in Calle Mella, lovely, albeit frozen but cut on a band saw so no bone splinters to deal with ( and delicious into the bargain).

Perhaps a "meat Co op" could be worked cheaply to satisfy the needs of us meat lovers. And the savings reflected in the cost of the meat.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Buy the whole oxtail. The tail is jointed and is easily cut with a knife at those places. No splinters, no bone dust. Easiest to work when half thawed from the freezer.

May 29, 2006
Stand alone freezers actually use very little power, less than a fridge. If they are full, they will stay frozen for over 24 hours with the power off. Be sure to cut your meat into portions less than 2" thick so they will thaw within a reasonable time. It doesn't hurt to put some block ice in it as a back up and the less air their is in it, the less power it will need.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Don't know where you live, but both my houses,SD and El Limon has elec just about all the time , if it off, no more than a hour or. 2.I have the freezer in El Limon, as there are no supermarkets here of any consequence ,so I need my gringo things. Frozen Lasagna,frozen pizza,beef hot dogs ,prime rib ,frozen Haddock,rib eye ,ravioli ,country sliced ham,Stoufers Ftozen cream chip beef, Mac and cheese, oh we'll, you get the idea....oh and White Castle ham burgers . I'm a gringo,ang get real tired of my dominican wife cooking .

Bob

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Been buying there sausages for years ,excellent, but have been quite disappointed with the beef .Last
Bob batch of ribeye was tough.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Hi there.

For never frozen twice a week imported go to national supermarket in 27 febrero, the only one.

Already frozen angus prime choice or select and good salmon look up mopaxport. Com they cut you the steak to your like, I like them 2 inch thick.

Good luck...
I buy there just about all the time,great beef.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
My wife does the same as defish, fill empty spaces in fridge and freezer with jugs of water.... does it work, no idea, but to keep the peace I indulge.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Malko,
that works well - the large water jugs in the fridge and freezer.

It is better to fill both with water jugs when going away - fridge/freezers prefer to keep running as opposed to being turned off/on for absences .... the water jug makes the refrigeration operating easier - less power consumption.

Obviously, it also helps when the power goes off.

A full fridge/freezer is easier to maintain than an empty one. Period......

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I almost never buy "Oxtail", ANYMORE, that is!
It's just too damn good!
"Sancochado" is great, but a "Rabo Incendido" is, (Oven Roasted),"To Die For"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Try some roasted pig "Neck Bones", and/or "Cheeks" (THe FACE CHEEKS") unreal.
Sooooooo moist, and,Melt in your mouth!!!

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Its a wonder why all Dominicans dont fill empty refrigerator / freezer space with water jugs. It saves food and electricity. Even if you are stealing the luz, its still saves food. It is hard to train a Dominican not to fully fill the water bottle that going to the freezer as they will crack when the water freezes.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
They were all absent the day their science teacher told everyone that "Only Water expands when it Freezes!
"Nah"!
Even science teachers here don't know THAT!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC