World's most dangerous roads are in DR !

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
According to this website the world's most dangerous roads are in DR at 41.7 death per 100k people per year.

Roads Kill Map | Pulitzer Center

I looked at a few other bad ones but no other country, according to this survey, reaches 41.7 - be very very careful on the roads in DR....!

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
It's nothing new... we all know that... bad road + bad drivers = danger and death...

It is nothing new right, but if you must have your children every day on their way to school among that maniacs, you could not warn enough .

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
According to this website the world's most dangerous roads are in DR at 41.7 death per 100k people per year.

Roads Kill Map | Pulitzer Center

I looked at a few other bad ones but no other country, according to this survey, reaches 41.7 - be very very careful on the roads in DR....!

Well, I AM not sure it is any different in HAITI. CAR ACCIDENTS kill more than any disease. The problem On HISPANIOLA, it does not have any DRUNK DRIVING LAWS. Poeple are drunk adn they are behind the wheels

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have no complains about roads, really. roads users, on the other hand...

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
No doubt road users are mostly to blame, but, hey, let's bring into account bad road signs and road markings, road condition and bad or non existent lighting or cat eyes for night too. Many times I have seen cars manoeuvring right to the opposite lane to avoid a hole, motors drop in these holes and loose control.... (to be fair though Puerto Plata to Cabarete stretch is now in a lot better shape than 7 or 8 years ago...)

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
The road from navarette to pop is way, but way better than a couple of years ago. We even have cats eyes in the middle now!!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Well, I AM not sure it is any different in HAITI. CAR ACCIDENTS kill more than any disease. The problem On HISPANIOLA, it does not have any DRUNK DRIVING LAWS. Poeple are drunk adn they are behind the wheels

the problem with Hispaniola goes beyond drunk driving. i guess the numbers are not as staggering for Haiti, because less people can afford to get behind the wheel of a car. the DR is total anarchy, as far as road use is concerned. there is zero discipline, and people just improvise once they take the wheel. i have seen a guy going on the opposite side of a divided roadway in Santiago. how someone can even contemplate doing that boggles the mind.

the only mystery is how is it that the death figures are so low.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007

taxi drivers seem to drink a lot, offering to stop by the colmado on way from airport... I see people drinking behind the wheel all the time.... it s no wonder.. drinking & driving is endemic, almost a macho thing, and no one sees any problem in it....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you guys are spoiled brats of the west. try eastern europe for road quality :) then DR will seem totally fine ;)

i solve road issue by driving fairly slowly but at constant speed. if i see a hole in time it's fine and i can miss it. if i see a hole too late i go fast enough to pass it ok but slow enough not to wreck the car in the process. nothing worse then going fast, seeing the hole and then breaking heavily. i learnt that from my dad, over 50 years as a driver/mechanic with zero accidents.

in addition - not to butter up the collective government ass to slide my head in there, but to be honest - lots of work is being done on dominican roads. POP to santiago is much better, POP to samana is much better, new road in las terrenas is a dream, new road in PC is a dream. give credit where credit's due.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no, no credit to them. they get a swift swing of a baseball to the nuts.

jekel35

Oct 31, 2012
I don't know if anyone actually reviewed that site but it claims that most of the deaths/danger comes from motorcycles. And that makes sense, its easy to die on those things, particularly the way Dominicans drive them. But interestingly enough that site claims its safer to drive in a car here than in the states.

jekel35

Oct 31, 2012
I don't know if anyone actually reviewed that site but it claims that most of the deaths/danger comes from motorcycles. And that makes sense, its easy to die on those things, particularly the way Dominicans drive them. But interestingly enough that site claims its safer to drive in a car here than in the states.

Also the "n" on this site are all over the place. They have "statistics" that range from a few hundred to ten's of thousands. I mean the amount of statistical Jujitsu you'd have to do to get anything meaningful from this is laughable.

You know not everything on the internet is fact!

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Have you noticed almost all motorbikes here are missing mirrors ! That means they have no idea what is coming from behind until it hits them in the ass... !?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Have you noticed almost all motorbikes here are missing mirrors ! That means they have no idea what is coming from behind until it hits them in the ass... !?

this is to better manoeuvre in the traffic and fit in narrow gaps between cars. and if you hit them in the back they will always say it was your fault. "no fui yo".

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Not to worried about the no mirrors on the conchos, but I do wish they had headlights, and tail lights!!

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
How long was the "safety" branch sticking out of the open manhole in Sosua, I think on Calle Mexico?

It was a few years ago. I have a picture somewhere.