Extortion: Dominican police arrest record number of agents

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
Santo Domingo.- National Police chief Manuel Castro on Monday ordered the arrest of 24 agents on charges of extortion and in connection with drug trafficking. It?s the highest number of officers ever detained in one case.

Police spokesman Jacobo Mateo said Internal Affairs is investigating the group, while a source quoted by diariolibre.com affirmed that the group ?was shaking down Higuey drug sellers for 200 to 300 pesos, that?s an embarrassment."

The source said the National Police?s situation is of concern from the crimes agents are committing because of their low wages. "No one can live with 5,000 pesos per month, and this endangers the Security Plan which the President set in motion several months ago."

The agents are being held at Police headquarters, where Castro warned that the ?shameful practice? won?t be tolerated.

Among the detainees figure two lieutenants, five sergeants, four corporals and 13 agents, all assigned to Higuey?s Police precinct.

http://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/...minican-police-arrest-record-number-of-agents

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Thats a crime itself, paying such money!! This Country's pay to living cost is ass backwards in general..The Police World wide should be making much more, its a damn shame, sicking really for what they do. 5,000 pesos, WTH...better off cleaning houses, at least you get a place to stay and food..

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
What the hell? There's something wrong with this software. I didn't give the above "like" at all; even though you deserve them normally. It's like my phone is on auto :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My, "LIKE" was, On Purpose!!!!
Never forget, "Santa Clause Is Coming To Town"!!!
The "Unwashed Masses" won't be "Naughty", only "Nice", till after 6 January!
They all want their "Doble Sueldo", and their "Canasta", with a frozen chicken, and a big bottle of rum!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I used to "LOVE CHRISTMAS" when I was working here, all those nice "Envelopes" from vendors, and suppliers!!!!
Made for a "Feliz Navidad"!