Hitting reset button... DR or...?

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Hi. I want opinions. Your opinions.

Hitting the reset button, cause life is too short and tired of... you know... the consumerist treadmill.

From YOUR perspective:

1. How much cash do would make you comfortable jumping ship (you are single, w/no kids, and at least 10 years from social security... if it even exists in 10 years) to some other land?

2. Would your destination, knowing what you know, be DR?

3. What would you do to make cash for the next 10 yrs, assuming you don't have enough when you initially jump ship? Teach English? Sell drugs? Open a restaurant?

Yeah, I know, this is probably a tiresome, redundant question... but what question is not? Indulge me...

Peace.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Hello,

Just moved to the DR, north coast, two months ago...

Compared to the US:

Rent, real estate- Equal to or more expensive in the DR
Utilities- Electricity is way more expensive here, cable and internet are less
Car purchase/ Gas- More expensive then the US
Food/ Eating Out- Half the cost of the US if you avoid the tourist areas and big grocery stores
Entertainment- About the same as you would see in Florida for SCUBA, surfing lessons, deep sea fishing and like

A TV, coffee pot, furniture will cost you about the same as it would in the US

About US$10k will get ya here: flight, deposit, rent, cheap car with a tank of gas, cell phone, fist months bills, insurance

After that, I would have atleast $2k a month to get by.

To make an income, keep a part time job in the US, or a traveling job. Rent out your house, sublet the apartment you are living in...

I'm staying cause I am here. I have never lived outside the US, so I have no other destinations to compare it to.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Addendum: is it easy to pick up work there? Perhaps this is in the wrong forum...little confueseded...:(

Homairy

Banned
Oct 13, 2013
Hello,

Compared to the US:

Food/ Eating Out- Half the cost of the US if you avoid the tourist areas and big grocery stores
Entertainment- About the same as you would see in Florida for SCUBA, surfing lessons, deep sea fishing and like

About US$10k will get ya here: flight, deposit, rent, cheap car with a tank of gas, cell phone, fist months bills, insurance

To make an income, keep a part time job in the US, or a traveling job. Rent out your house, sublet the apartment you are living in...

I'm staying cause I am here. I have never lived outside the US, so I have no other destinations to compare it to.

Tv's are way more in the DR, compared to the states!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
from a different perspective. i discussed a possibility of moving back to europe with miesposo. we would need minimum half a million dollars for that move to be roughly in the same position we are now. so think it over before you take that step.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
For the dr, u will need 100k or more to setup house. Apt 50k give or take, 10k give or take, 10k give or take for car. That leaves 30k thats for the give and take, you will be doing the giving and the tiguers all along ur path will be taking. If u live like a gringo ur electric is going to be 4k per annum. I would suggest when living in land of serpientes to become one. Otherwise u are a mice and will be eaten along with all ur money. So if lying cheating and stealing arent in ur makeup u might want to go to school for scoundrels. It will help prepare u for life here.

Seriously though, u need at least 500k. Thats 50k per year. U can live well here off that if u arent stupid or have to have all the luxuries. U can probably even do a fare amount of mongering for that. Of course remember if u fall in love with one of these chics they will work u over for ever dime in half the time and u will have to listen to them talk incessantly. Mongering is better and cheaper, and u get bragging rights, it is faux paus to brag about shagging the girlfriend or wife, but it is perfectly normal to brag about shagging some chica u met in the bar. So choose wisely on this subject area.

As far as dropping out and retiring i prefer my method, i work 4-6 months out of the year and then retire here for a long winter. But i screwed up and married. Luv her and all but i am thinking mongering would be more fun and peaceful.

Good luck.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
On the brighter side...

Getting absolutely wasted at a beachside bar with a great view in Florida: $200

Getting absolutely wasted at a beachside bar with a better view at El Castillo in the DR: $20

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
From what I have heard, not a chance. You need some sort of outside income

That sucks...

Seems that finding work as a teacher in Asia would be a lot easier, given the response my credentials have gotten. Unfortunately, I find certain qualities of Latin American countries (read: THE WOMEN) to be preferable to what Asia has to offer. I am obsessed with living in one of these places because: I like the music (Latin Jazz, Bosa Nova), love warm weather, love the food (I can eat rice and beans every day...really), and the women are like crack cocaine to me; nothing is more appealing ,in my humble opinion.

I am a man, and thus a bit primitive and weak in some respects. It is what it is. :)

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If you have teaching credentials, you can apply to the international schools - located in different areas of DR. You won't get rich, but you'll be able to live and work.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
rentals are MUCH cheaper in the DR for comparable houses /apartments
Hello,

Compared to the US:

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
rentals are MUCH cheaper in the DR for comparable houses /apartments

I would agree if you were referring to only 1-2 bedroom apartments/ condos or smaller villas. I am a family of 5, and for a four to five bedroom Villa, the DR is just as much, as if not more expensive then a house of simular quality in the US

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
If you have teaching credentials, you can apply to the international schools - located in different areas of DR. You won't get rich, but you'll be able to live and work.

Please tell me you are serious, and that this is not some cruel hoax... :0)

I have a bit of a nest egg, and do not require much in the way of a wage. I would likely not have to work for about 3 years, give or take a year, provided some financial disaster does not occur.

Fact is, I have had several offers to teach in at least 4 countries in Asia. I am tempted to take one... but ... I keep having these visions of latinas dancing on the beaches, while "The Girl from Ipanema" plays softly in the background. Pathetic, but true. I am sick.

Last edited:

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
A friend of mine rented a 4 bedroom, three bath apartment in Santiago for $235 a month.

I would agree if you were referring to only 1-2 bedroom apartments/ condos or smaller villas. I am a family of 5, and for a four to five bedroom Villa, the DR is just as much, as if not more expensive then a house of simular quality in the US

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
few weeks ago celebrity gossip pages run a story on rihanna's visit to thailand. she mentioned on twitter being traumatized by seeing a woman pull live birds, turtles and other interesting objects, from her crotch fruit (can you believe that skank, btw? what a nerve). you are wrong to think dominicanas can do better. take one of the offers to teach in asia and enjoy the world of surprises...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Please tell me you are serious, and that this is not some cruel hoax... :0)

I have a bit of a nest egg, and do not require much in the way of a wage. I would likely not have to work for about 3 years, give or take a year, provided some financial disaster does not occur.

Fact is, I have had several offers to teach in at least 4 countries in Asia. I am tempted to take one... but ... I keep having these visions of latinas dancing on the beaches, while "The Girl from Ipanema" plays softly in the background. Pathetic, but true. I am sick.

:cheeky:

Not a hoax. There are schools in Santo Domingo, Punta Cana, Sosua [and maybe Santiago] who hire staff from overseas. They pay salary, many include an apartment and some pay for a return trip to your country once a year.

Of course, you need teaching certification and experience.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Hello,

Compared to the US:

What?

Rent is cheaper in DR
Buying a tv or all sort of other stuff that are imported is 25 to 50% more expensive.

Everything that is under 200$ and doesnt weight too much you should buy it online

Edit : i was comparing with Canada, i guess rent is way cheaper in the US then Canada, so maybe your right. But VS Canada i would say rent is 25-50% cheaper...

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Really? Yes, teacher pay is woefully low just about everywhere, it seems. That's about $225 per month, right? Geez...
Well, beats what I am making now. I could get an additional endorsement, and make good cash in a year or two... but the chicas... the Antonio Carlos Jobim song book... can't get it out of my head. What is really twisted is the fact that I am not really joking...

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
:cheeky:

Not a hoax. There are schools in Santo Domingo, Punta Cana, Sosua [and maybe Santiago] who hire staff from overseas. They pay salary, many include an apartment and some pay for a return trip to your country once a year.

Of course, you need teaching certification and experience.

Wow...
The jobs available on the interwebs always seem to always be in Korea, China and Thailand. The only offer I got from a Latin country was to teach somewhere in Mexico. I like the food... nothing else about Mexico interests me.

I have a graduate degree in education, and taught for several years in the States. Perhaps there is hope.