Stay Away From Navarette Today

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i was planning a ride over to Mao this morning, and called a friend to tell her i was on the way. she cautioned me against coming that way, given the fact that it is absolutely dangerous in places like Navarette and its surroundings today. she says she is not putting her nose out the door for any reason today. so, if any of you guys and dolls have plans to head there today, that warning comes from someone who is there.

just a public service posting...and i know. i used the word "today" several times. that was for emphasis. tomorrow might see an improvement.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Perhaps you can tell us why it is dangerous today.

because guys are firing pistols, one death by gunfire has already been reported, and it is the usual anarchy which results when these general strikes are called. every malcontent and lamebrain crawls out of the woodwork to break things and imperil lives.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Some facts please. I have a midnight run to do to STI from Puerto Plata.
Der Fish

i cannot give you anything beyond the advice of a lady who told me not to head in that direction today. i had plans to ride by her place today, and she told me not even to head to Santiago, either. it is not as though she does not want me to show up because chulo is at the house, because we do not have any kind of romantic relationship.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
hope this helps

Four dead, 9 hurt, more than 15 arrests during strike-UPDATE

Street protest at Santiago.

Santo Domingo.- Four dead, 9 hurt and more than 15 arrests is the tragic result on the first day of a 48 hour strike in several towns of the Cibao (north) region, called by the often violent group, FALPO, and other organizations which demand several public works.

Authorities identified the fatal victims as Darlin de la Rosa, 16; Gilberto Jimenez, 36, and Kendry Rodr?guez, 13.

De la Rosa and Jimenez were killed during violent protests in the Los Ciruelitos sector of Santiago, while Rodriguez was shot to death on the main street in Navarrete.

Several police are among the wounded are, including officers, while a 4-year-old girl was hit by one bullet in a vehicle, also in Navarrete.

Although the strike was called for Castillo, Bonao and San Francisco, violent protests also took place at Esperanza, Hato del Yaque, and Canca la Reina, in southern Espaillat province, whose residents demand completion of a bridge and paved streets

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
hope this helps

Four dead, 9 hurt, more than 15 arrests during strike-UPDATE

Street protest at Santiago.

Santo Domingo.- Four dead, 9 hurt and more than 15 arrests is the tragic result on the first day of a 48 hour strike in several towns of the Cibao (north) region, called by the often violent group, FALPO, and other organizations which demand several public works.

Authorities identified the fatal victims as Darlin de la Rosa, 16; Gilberto Jimenez, 36, and Kendry Rodr?guez, 13.

De la Rosa and Jimenez were killed during violent protests in the Los Ciruelitos sector of Santiago, while Rodriguez was shot to death on the main street in Navarrete.

Several police are among the wounded are, including officers, while a 4-year-old girl was hit by one bullet in a vehicle, also in Navarrete.

Although the strike was called for Castillo, Bonao and San Francisco, violent protests also took place at Esperanza, Hato del Yaque, and Canca la Reina, in southern Espaillat province, whose residents demand completion of a bridge and paved streets
the 16 year old was killed by police. he has since been arrested and locked up for a year to appear in court. Not far from where I live

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Navarrete is always a hotbed for huelgas, they've perfected them there. Gorgon's friend is right - stay away for now.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Travel Security Online
23 Oct 2013
Further instances of localised unrest are probable during an ongoing 48-hour strike by a faction of the Broad Front for Popular Struggle (FALPO) civic group over several socio-economic grievances, which commenced at 06.00 (local time) on 22 October. At least three people on the day were killed and several others injured in related violence in San Francisco de Macor?s (Duarte province), Navarrete (also known as Villa Bison?) and Santiago de los Caballeros (both Santiago province).
Isolated gunfire and explosions were heard during protests involving roadblocks at La Pi?a, in the Los Ciruelitos area of Santiago de los Caballeros, which led to police intervention and consequent clashes between demonstrators and the security forces. In Navarrete, local media reported that gunfire between police officers and FALPO members erupted on Autopista Duarte. Related protests were reported in several other locations, including Bonao (Monse?or Nouel province), Castillo (Duarte), Esperanza (Valverde province), Canca la Reina (Espaillat province) and the Ensanche Capotillo area of the capital Santo Domingo. The strike was disruptive and mostly observed in the aforementioned northern cities, with shops, local businesses and educational institutions closing for the day.
Travel Briefing
The recent developments underline the credible risk of clashes between demonstrators and the security forces at related protests; the recent fatalities – two of whom are reported to be minors – are likely to elevate tensions. While foreigners in the vicinity of any such disturbances are unlikely to be targeted, they risk exposure to incidental violence, underlining our advice to avoid all demonstrations as a basic security precaution.
Disruption to travel and commercial activities can be expected in locations where the strike is observed; travellers should reconfirm any scheduled appointments and consult local contacts to ascertain the status of proposed routes and destinations before setting out during the work stoppage. Protesters are liable to erect roadblocks, while the police may implement road closures; travellers should not attempt to cross roadblocks, as this may elicit a hostile reaction, and instead seek an alternative route to their destination.
Travel Advice Summary
• Recent events underline the potential for protests to descend into localised violence; avoid all demonstrations as a basic precaution.
• Reconfirm any scheduled appointments and consult local contacts to ascertain the status of routes and destinations before setting out during the strike.
• Do not attempt to cross roadblocks erected by protesters as this may elicit a hostile reaction. If you come across one, turn around and seek an alternative route to your destination.
• During road travel, keep windows up and doors locked to combat the risk of opportunistic theft. Driving standards are poor and self-driving is not recommended; it is preferable to hire a car and driver.
• Monitor our travel security alerts on the Dominican Republic for further updates.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
DR1 News hot off the presses:
Cibao strike victims
Three people were killed, five were injured and dozens were arrested during protests yesterday, Tuesday 22 October in Navarrete, Ciruelitos, Santiago and San Francisco de Macoris, in support of a 48-hour strike called by the Popular Front (Falpo) and other groups, all demanding a long list of social changes.
The victims were Derlin de la Rosa Hidalgo, 17 and Gilberto Antonio Reyes, 36, who died during disturbances in the Ciruelitos area of Santiago. Relatives blamed the SWAT team of the national police for the violent deaths, which in turn provoked further protests about police repression.
There was also tension in Navarrete and San Francisco and SWAT teams were present there too with large gauge weapons and teargas. The body of 13-year old Kelvin Rodriguez was discovered with a bullet wound to his chest in Navarrete and once again the police were accused of killing him.
The injured also included three police agents, Sergeant Argenis Manuel Rosa, Private Ariel Santos de la Cruz and First Lieutenant Oscar Nunez Ozoria.
In Santiago, two men named only as Many and Sandy were injured, one seriously and in San Francisco de Macoris, Wilson David Camilo, 25, was shot twice in the head when caught in crossfire between protesters and police. Also in San Francisco, an unidentified teenager and Yeury Martinez, 21, were both taken to hospital with gunshot wounds.
The head of the Cibao Police, General Neivis Luis Perez Sanchez, said that he would work within the law to maintain peace and public order.
Dos muertos y 7 heridos en?disturbios Santiago y SFM - listindiario.com

mainegal

May 22, 2012
I never understood these strikes at all. I don't believe they've ever accomplished anything and end up hurting/killing their own people, for what?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they always accomplish something, regardless of who killed most of the victims (here is a clue: protesters). but they get a street paved, a hole dug, a cable put, a ca?ada cleaned. they get little something and HOPE as an extra bonus.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
they always accomplish something, regardless of who killed most of the victims (here is a clue: protesters). but they get a street paved, a hole dug, a cable put, a ca?ada cleaned. they get little something and HOPE as an extra bonus.

I can tell you as a Canadian that Canada is quite clean.......;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I can tell you as a Canadian that Canada is quite clean.......;)

ca?ada :)

i am sure there are many similarities between the two but i would not like to talk about it for the fear of being mauled to death by maple syrup guzzlers.

:)