Haitian residency status

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
And so it has hit the New York Times....love the comment by the Archbishop! Although I agree that no other country should attempt to govern other countries, I still believe in human rights, and this could be the mother of all tests.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/24/w...gal-limbo-by-court.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=1&

you have to love the Cardinal

“International organizations don’t rule here,” he told reporters after the ruling was announced. “I don’t accept anybody coming here to decree anything. No country, not the United States, not France, nobody. Here, we are in charge.”

yup. until a hurricane hits, and then it is the USA and the rest of the world.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012

“International organizations don’t rule here,” he told reporters after the ruling was announced. “I don’t accept anybody coming here to decree anything. No country, not the United States, not France, nobody. Here, we are in charge.”

When you are the head of an institution that has so much to hide as catholic church has, you don't want any organization to intervene or nose around. Your @ss would be on the line. He needs to say it now in order to be consequent when times come to defend himself.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012

?International organizations don?t rule here,? he told reporters after the ruling was announced. ?I don?t accept anybody coming here to decree anything. No country, not the United States, not France, nobody. Here, we are in charge.?

And rightly so. Does any other country dare to meddle in US affairs?

In case of a disaster it's only right that other countries(those who are part of the UN) come and assist because that's the purpose of the United Nations to give aid in times of crisis. There are certain laws and regulations that each country has the right to govern as sovereign nations without interference.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Catholic Church in the DR is worried that the new US ambasador(Who is openly gay) will start "Outing" all the gay priests he meets in on the "Malecon", in "Men's rooms,"and Gay Bars!!!
"No More "Daisy Chains" for YOU!!!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Bronze", ALL countries "Meddle" in the "affairs" of other countries!
They all "Spy" on each other, and in the case of "Rivals/Enemies" try to destabelize them.
The USA is just on of the "BEST" at it!
An Israel could give "Lessons"!
White House spokesman, Jay Carney, announced that the USA is NOT, and "Will Not" spy on German president Andrea Merkel!!!!!
"ANYMORE"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
And rightly so. Does any other country dare to meddle in US affairs?

In case of a disaster it's only right that other countries(those who are part of the UN) come and assist because that's the purpose of the United Nations to give aid in times of crisis. There are certain laws and regulations that each country has the right to govern as sovereign nations without interference.

unless you are a superpower, this idea of self contained sovereignty is a figment of the imagination. in this globalized world of interconnected countries, powerless countries do not generally have much say. they can think they do, but it is not realistic. let us say that the US really got upset by this; (purely hypothetical) we tell them to go mind their own business. suddenly, a release comes from the State Department that the immigration Quota for the DR has been reduced from X to X- Y. all of a sudden, travel advisories pop up all over the news. CBS does a i hour expose on all the tourist rip offs and deaths...bad things just start happening..

that is how that works,

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
unless you are a superpower, this idea of self contained sovereignty is a figment of the imagination. in this globalized world of interconnected countries, powerless countries do not generally have much say. they can think they do, but it is not realistic. let us say that the US really got upset by this; (purely hypothetical) we tell them to go mind their own business. suddenly, a release comes from the State Department that the immigration Quota for the DR has been reduced from X to X- Y. all of a sudden, travel advisories pop up all over the news. CBS does a i hour expose on all the tourist rip offs and deaths...bad things just start happening..

that is how that works,

Yes, I see that but on the other hand the US needs other countries as allies and therefore are careful not to step on too many toes.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes, I see that but on the other hand the US needs other countries as allies and therefore are careful not to step on too many toes.

the USA will be careful not to step on the toes of Russia, China, Germany, and others like Saudi Arabia. they will crush the feet of any country in the caribbean. just ask Fidel.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
the USA will be careful not to step on the toes of Russia, China, Germany, and others like Saudi Arabia. they will crush the feet of any country in the caribbean. just ask Fidel.

Correct but have you heard anything that says they are against what is transpiring in the DR? Have they told them no?

Of course there will always be some who are in opposition. This is always the case with laws and regulation.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Correct but have you heard anything that says they are against what is transpiring in the DR? Have they told them no?

Of course there will always be some who are in opposition. This is always the case with laws and regulation.

well, the NYTimes article was an indicator of what some people might be thinking. whether or not people with power and influence think likewise is left to be seen.