What Needs To Be Done In Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This piece in today's Sosua News is very interesting. Makes a lot of sense.

From the Sosua News:

Wolfgang Sch?nner, co-owner of the restaurant Schnitzel Paradise, asks in amazement what the government of Sos?a has in mind with its policy. According to Wolfgang the local government says she wants to change Sos?a into a family friendly resort. Focusing on aspects like ecology, art and culture. Therefore, now bars in the main street are commissioned by the Tourism Bureau to be blinded, so walking by families are not exposed to the ongoing nightlife in the bars. Thus, the existing tourism is discouraged while it is not made more attractive for families. Besides a visit to the beach, there is not much to do for families with small children. Moreover families are aggressively approached by sellers and money changers. Often motorcycle taxis and taxis drivers try to abuse the tourists. You should always be on your guard. According to Wolfgang other measures are needed if they want to make Sos?a family friendly. Firstly, the sidewalks should be made accessible for pedestrians. In many places, the sidewalks are too narrow, metal wires and poles blocking the passage and you stumble over the holes. The noise and exhaust fumes of the passing motorbikes and cars, especially for the guests in the restaurants is a drama. With the partly closure of the Pedro Clisante this would be easy to solve.

The government must also work better with the bar, restaurant and shop owners. Both the Gastronomic feast as the music festival of last week on the beach of Parque Mirador were poorly prepared. There was little or no promotion in advance. Both events were therefore hardly visited by tourists. According to Wolfgang is breaking down the existing tourism (close bars, arresting girls) not the way to change Sos?a in a family friendly eco, art and culture interesting holiday resort, it is much more difficult.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
my question will always be this;

what qualities and offerings are present in Sosua to make it a family friendly tourist destination?

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
The major isn't trying to make Sosua tourist friendly for families. Its about selling property in the higher end developments. Look who is putting large sums of money into the projects. The developers fully know that Sosua can't be both a market to pretend weekend millionaires whille selling $300k condos on the ocean to people with real money. The people with money don't want to invest in a town where the center looks like an American low rent district with the attitude to match. Imo Things will lessen up when the present traveler moves on to another market.
Wolfgang is 100% correct, the peddlers are far much worse than the hookers. Lets not forget about all Haitians, they are the worst, get rid of them if you really want to clean up the towns image.

drescape24

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
Yup, follow the money and you will find who is really pulling the strings. The current policies seem to be put in place only to placate a few investors with $$.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yup, follow the money and you will find who is really pulling the strings. The current policies seem to be put in place only to placate a few investors with $$.

absolutely!! who are they kidding with this 'family tourist" crap? what is in Sosua besides Playero?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
absolutely!! who are they kidding with this 'family tourist" crap? what is in Sosua besides Playero?

It's a joke. They will kill 100% of tourism with the current plan.
Whatever, it's a big Island that I plan on exploring the rest very soon.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Wolfgang is on point.
Sosua really has nothing to offer families at this time. Sosua only has a beach. My friends and I are usually bored in the day time. We can only visit Sosua beach but so many times. Sosua leaders need to build on what currently earns Sosua its cash or have something else to offer besides a hotel room and a beach.
Maybe they need to bulldoze Sosua and start over. Remake Sosua to resemble the Punta Cana of the North.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Wolfgang is on point.
Sosua really has nothing to offer families at this time. Sosua only has a beach. My friends and I are usually bored in the day time. We can only visit Sosua beach but so many times. Sosua leaders need to build on what currently earns Sosua its cash or have something else to offer besides a hotel room and a beach.
Maybe they need to bulldoze Sosua and start over. Remake Sosua to resemble the Punta Cana of the North.

now there's an idea. nothing a good Caterpillar can't fix.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
You are all right, but Sosua is close to cabarete, which is attractive for sport activities...
and btw, quite many families live in the hills of sosua

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Both the Gastronomic feast as the music festival of last week on the beach of Parque Mirador were poorly prepared. There was little or no promotion in advance. Both events were therefore hardly visited by tourists.

Dead right! What music festival?

May 29, 2006
Wolfgang might just have the longest continuous ownership of a restaurant on PC now, if not in Sosua. Never met the guy, but I know he also has started some good charities..

May 29, 2006
Wouldn't a lot of conflicts be solved if they just said that clubs and large bars can't open before 9 or 10PM?

bilko

Aug 5, 2011
Wolfgang might just have the longest continuous ownership of a restaurant on PC now, if not in Sosua. Never met the guy, but I know he also has started some good charities..

Wolfgang is my insurance rep and has lived in Sosua for more than 25 yrs.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Enclosing the bars will only drive more people out in the streets to avoid those sweatbox's..There will be more working girls then ever hanging in the streets looking for their next gringo lottery victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.