Dominican Republic Cannot Compete

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Can?t compete on Free Trade pact, agro leader warns

Cattle rustlers ruin ranchers...

Santo Domingo.- Dominican Ranchers and Farmers Association (ADHA) president Ricardo Barcelo on Thursday urged the Government to review the CAFTA-DR free trade agreement and delay the lifting of tariffs of local producers until they are trained to be more competitive.

He told president Danilo Medina that the free trade agreement will devastate local production, because the country can?t compete with other nations that provide exemptions and other incentives.

The business leader, speaking during ADHA?s 26th annual Medal of Honor awards, noted that the Dominican farmers have yet solve the problem of land squatters, theft of crops and agricultural equipment or cattle rustling, which in affirms harms their competitiveness.

To confront cattle rustling, Barcelo asked Medina implement programs of tracking to trace the history of products; and to slaughter all animals in licensed facilities.

were we not told by one of our highly informed posters, not so long ago, that free trade is the panacea for economic development?

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
Free trade agreements between countries will only work if the countries involved are on equal footing both in practices and regulations. Those that are better organized will always have the advantage over those that are not.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Free trade agreements between countries will only work if the countries involved are on equal footing both in practices and regulations. Those that are better organized will always have the advantage over those that are not.

absolutely. and that is why they cannot work.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The DR has been in "Court" many,many times over violations of "DRCAFTA".
My God, these people, and many other "Sectors" of the DR economy had 5,10, and in some cases a 15 year "Grace Period", BEFORE they had to comply!!
It's just another case of, "Dominicans being Dominicans"!!!!!
They think,"So What, if these imports will lower food prices, especially for the poorest Dominicans, I STILL want to sell my inferior product for more money!!!
"C'mon" DR garlic at $2.00 a pound is better than US garlic at 50 cents?????
I buy American beef,pork,and chicken cheaper than Dominican!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I know a Dutch gentleman who works in agriculture.
He exports to Europe and Asia his business is doing well.
Growing seasons are good in the DR, with the right concept there is money to be made.
As always good organization is needed.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
It will always be cheaper to produce food in the US because the government there subsidizes agriculture in many "hidden" ways, thus imposing a "hidden" tax on foreign products. DR-CAFTA is a joke. It only benefits the US, as all the other countries found out too late. And food is among the very few things actually manufactured 100% in the US so they can apply for the agreement.
DR-CAFTA is just a reverse Robin Hood.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
During "DR Cafta" the DR, without really trying, has become a "Net Exporter" to the USA!
I strongly believe in a "Free Trade World".
That is the ONLY way to level the playing field.
Look at China, Trade has given them a middle class, with the money, and desire to "Buy Stuff" on World markets."Free Trade can eventually raise the wages of people in all countries, especially the poorest.
All countries subsidize certain sectors of their own economies.
Japan, "Dumped" electronics in the US market, (Sold Below Costs) which Americans loved, until the Japanese cornered the electronics market destroying US electronics manufacturing,
Now, the Chinese are doing the same thing.
The DR government subsidizes "Everything", "Combustible", "GAS", electricity, food, farm subsidys,and they also "Cheat" on their international Free Trade agreements!
Just like everybody else.
Time for "Judge Judy"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC