Should the Dominican Republic legislate so 100% of citizens are organ donors?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
In September of this year, Uruguay passed a law that makes all Uruguayan citizens of 18 years or older organ donors. The new law says that for a citizen not to be a donor, the person would have to sign a document at the National National Institute of Organ Donation and Transplantation (INDT) registering their decision not to donate their organs at death. The intention is to boost the number of transplants especially for those who otherwise would not be able to afford them.
The Uruguayan legislation establishes that a diagnosis of brain-stem death has to be signed and ascertained by two medical doctors who are not part of the transplant or procurement team.
The procedures under the new Uruguayan law ease the burden on the family of the deceased in contexts that are frequently dramatic and where one of the last things people think about are the wishes of the deceased, and whether the person wanted to be a donor or not.

Shouldn't this be seriously considered for passing in the Dominican Republic? This could benefit anyone of us that dies unexpectedly. Comments appreciated.

The link to the Uruguayan law in Spanish:

http://200.40.229.134/Leyes/AccesoTextoLey.asp?Ley=18968&Anchor=

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it is the great idea, the only problem i can see is establishing brain death. in other countries it is rare to do so without waiting for the accident or some unfortunate disease to happen to the patient first. on a plus side, all dominicans would instantly qualify. we are looking for some major export opportunities here. think about the economy boost! i approve.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
In September of this year, Uruguay passed a law that makes all Uruguayan citizens of 18 years or older organ donors. The new law says that for a citizen not to be a donor, the person would have to sign a document at the National National Institute of Organ Donation and Transplantation (INDT) registering their decision not to donate their organs at death. The intention is to boost the number of transplants especially for those who otherwise would not be able to afford them.
The Uruguayan legislation establishes that a diagnosis of brain-stem death has to be signed and ascertained by two medical doctors who are not part of the transplant or procurement team.
The procedures under the new Uruguayan law ease the burden on the family of the deceased in contexts that are frequently dramatic and where one of the last things people think about are the wishes of the deceased, and whether the person wanted to be a donor or not.

Shouldn't this be seriously considered for passing in the Dominican Republic? This could benefit anyone of us that dies unexpectedly. Comments appreciated.

The link to the Uruguayan law in Spanish:

Ley 18.968

i love it!!!!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Good idea!

(as long as it doesn't go like this...)

[video=youtube;aclS1pGHp8o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aclS1pGHp8o[/video]

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Or like this

[video=youtube;igZvuCJv4VQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igZvuCJv4VQ[/video]

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Sounds good to me, but I should think there should be some kind of opt-out system for people who have religious or other moral objections. Most people would never bother to opt out, so there should be plenty of organs available.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The DR government has all it's citizens, "By The BALLS", why not take EVERYTHING Else???
From a "Human Rights" standpoint, it is a "Horrible Idea"!!!!!!!!
It should be voluntary ONLY!!!
In the DR, what would they do, once they harvest your organs???
Would the government pay for the surgeries?
The "Post Op" care?
A life time of "Anti Rejection" medications?
Patients with "Dengue", Cholera, and other medical needs, are laying on the hospital floors, with no medications, and the Doctors and nurses go on "Strike"!!
I see more of an "Organ Selling" opportunity than anything else!
This would NEVER happen in any "First World" country, where the citizen actually know, that they have some "RIGHTS".
Number one being the Right to control their own destiny.
This is a "Feel Good" issue, "Who doesn't want to help sick people"??????
But it is a "Slippery Slope" to start down!
How many years before the government says, "You can only live for 75 years, then you will be "Terminated" due to the high costs to support you"!!!!!!!!
I think I said,."NO!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I can just see the DR Government/Policia National, supplying "International Organ Buyers", with "Organs On Demand"!!!!
It will explain all the dead people coming out of the "Palacio de In- Justicia"!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Autonomic Nerve System"!!
"dv", you are a "Polish Chick", have you never chopped the head off a live chicken, then watched it run all around with no head?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
kdolo, I don't know what a "statist" is, but I sincerely hope I ain't one!!!
Please explain???????