WhatsApp vs Voxer

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Is there any reason in particular why most people in the DR use WhatsApp instead of Voxer? The one thing I really don't like about WhatsApp is the app can not be moved to my SD memory card so I can save phone memory.

Matter of fact I have yet to meet anyone in the DR who uses Voxer whereas when I am in the states Voxer seems to be the way to go.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I just checked Voxer on Google Play (Android). It barely has 10MM+ downloads, compared to 100MM+ downloads of Whatsapp. That must be your answer right there.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I just checked Voxer on Google Play (Android). It barely has 10MM+ downloads, compared to 100MM+ downloads of Whatsapp. That must be your answer right there.

Not my answer cause it doesn't mean they are using it. Did you bother to check downloads for iPhones?

BTW the ones I know in the states first used WhatsApp then switched over.

Last edited:

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Not my answer cause it doesn't mean they are using it. Did you bother to check downloads for iPhones?

BTW the ones I know in the states first used WhatsApp then switched over.

Sorry, can't see iPhones downloads on an Android phone. Thanks god. ;)
There's a lot of talk about Line, also. And then there are some others. They all do the same. Some do voice calls, which I don't care about. I'll stick with the one with most users, since the greatest IM of all is worth nothing if people around you don't have it.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
............... I'll stick with the one with most users, since the greatest IM of all is worth nothing if people around you don't have it.

Exactly my point. As I mentioned, Voxer users were once WhatsApp users and switched. Just curious is one that much better than the other. The ones I know in the DR using WhatsApp I can't ask cause they have never tried Voxer.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Exactly my point. As I mentioned, Voxer users were once WhatsApp users and switched. Just curious is one that much better than the other. The ones I know in the DR using WhatsApp I can't ask cause they have never tried Voxer.

MSN Messenger was around for like 12 years. It worked. Many others worked better. Up until the time Microsoft decided to shut down messenger for Skype, Messenger was king. Why? because everybody had messenger, not because it was better.
Windows has been around for almost 30 years, and while other OS could have been better, they could never steal enough users from Windows, because people wanted to have the OS most people had in order to share documents, apps, etc.

Whatsapp appeared when chat was moving from computers to cell phones. Folks at Blackberry and Apple were stupid enough to limit ther IM apps to their own devices, not allowing other OS to use them. And along came Whatsapp to fill that void. Everybody around the world is using Whatsapp as preferred IM. Things might change in the future, but more than a "better" app is going to be needed, something external to the app itself needs to happen in order to force people to adopt another app. Whatsapp decision to eventually charge for the use could be one reason, but I don't think they'll end up doing it.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Tried to add to above post..........

One advantage I see is Voxer can be used on iPad, iPhones, Android and Blackberry phones. To the best of my knowledge there is no WhatsApp app for Android tablets. Using IM on a tablet is sooo nice. Just my two uneducated pesos.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I had it installed on my Android tablet. Had to uninstall it because it can only be on one device at the same time, and I don't carry my tablet around all my time like I do my phone.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
they are basically the same except for popularity

It is rather like Skype and Googletalk. They are basically the same but one is much more popular than the other. Whatsapp is far more popular than Voxer. The problem you mentioned about memory card capacity can be solved by changing the Whatsapp setting for saving media. If you change the setting so it does not save media automatically, you can decide which photos or voice messages you want to save and where you want to save them.

Is there any reason in particular why most people in the DR use WhatsApp instead of Voxer? The one thing I really don't like about WhatsApp is the app can not be moved to my SD memory card so I can save phone memory.

Matter of fact I have yet to meet anyone in the DR who uses Voxer whereas when I am in the states Voxer seems to be the way to go.

MrCT2DR

Sep 12, 2013
I noticed in DR whatsapp is popular but Viber(to hear a dominican say it it sounds like bieber!) will most likely surpass them soon. With Viber you can call phone to phone for free with wifi. Tango is similar but has not caught on the same way in DR.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I noticed in DR whatsapp is popular but Viber(to hear a dominican say it it sounds like bieber!) will most likely surpass them soon. With Viber you can call phone to phone for free with wifi. Tango is similar but has not caught on the same way in DR.

My husband uses Viber to call his brother's cell all the time, decent quality and free! Can't ask for much more than that.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..............The problem you mentioned about memory card capacity can be solved by changing the Whatsapp setting for saving media. If you change the setting so it does not save media automatically, you can decide which photos or voice messages you want to save and where you want to save them.

Thanks, will give that a try.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
My goodness :cheeky:, maybe I should have changed the title of this thread to .... WhatsApp vs Voxer vs Viber vs Line .........

any more to add? (guess I am still living in the dark ages cause never knew of Line or Viber)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My goodness :cheeky:, maybe I should have changed the title of this thread to .... WhatsApp vs Voxer vs Viber vs Line .........

any more to add? (guess I am still living in the dark ages cause never knew of Line or Viber)

Don't feel bad bigbird - we never heard of Viber either, but the brother-in-law has 3 kids 20-27, and they know EVERYTHING. He started us off with WhatsApp, and had us switch to Viber "porque es mejor".

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Don't feel bad bigbird - we never heard of Viber either, but the brother-in-law has 3 kids 20-27, and they know EVERYTHING. He started us off with WhatsApp, and had us switch to Viber "porque es mejor".

jajaja, guess that is how us younger older folks learn. My son was bugging the mess out of me for months and months on end. All I kept hearing is YOU got to get Voxer and I am like what for? Email is working just fine with me. LOL, but oh so true