DR Gov Minister states, large increase in "informal" jobs vs formal ones

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
The gov reports that the number of jobs in traditional areas, such as, manufacturing, retail, etc have shown a loss in numbers and "informal " jobs, which I am notquite sure exactly how they are defining these, are are showing increases in growth. The government claims that "informal jobs are not good for long term growth of the economy of the DR because these people do not pay taxes or contribute to a retirement program. So, the gov is telling me that the number of hookers along with other alternative jobs in the DR is showing growth. It is not surprising to hear this, in a country that has many uneducated and untrained young people that have no other prospects or possibilities. In their own way they are contributing by spending their earnings on everyday goods and services. If you want to create jobs, build something, manufacturer something and train people on how to do it otherwise you end up with what many countries are experiencing, service jobs at low pay or "free lance people who pay no direct taxes.

LTSteve

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"...who pay no direct taxes..."

...and exactly that is what bothers them most. No taxes, no new jeepetas...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We are all waiting for the cashless society so this loophole can be closed. Seems they have run out of cash to pay PICHARDO so he can tell us when this is coming.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
We are all waiting for the cashless society so this loophole can be closed. Seems they have run out of cash to pay PICHARDO so he can tell us when this is coming.

This loophole will never be closed.

it will only drive people further and further underground - to the point of barter even....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The gov reports that the number of jobs in traditional areas, such as, manufacturing, retail, etc have shown a loss in numbers and "informal " jobs, which I am notquite sure exactly how they are defining these, are are showing increases in growth. The government claims that "informal jobs are not good for long term growth of the economy of the DR because these people do not pay taxes or contribute to a retirement program. So, the gov is telling me that the number of hookers along with other alternative jobs in the DR is showing growth. It is not surprising to hear this, in a country that has many uneducated and untrained young people that have no other prospects or possibilities. In their own way they are contributing by spending their earnings on everyday goods and services. If you want to create jobs, build something, manufacturer something and train people on how to do it otherwise you end up with what many countries are experiencing, service jobs at low pay or "free lance people who pay no direct taxes.

LTSteve

one of the major problems brought about by a large informal sector is in the foreign currency receipts area. most of the goods produced by the informal sector are non-tradeables. they have no international worth, except for those which get some money from tourists. non-tradeables include things like prepared foods (meals), transportation (conchos, carritos), barbershops, hair and nail salons, cathouses, etc. (you get the idea). the expansion of the informal sector is a concession by the formal sector that it is contracting, and is in crisis. the fact that the informal sector is growing at a rapid rate in the DR means that the formal economy is contracting.

this is exactly the reason why i say that Dominican press releases are all a bunch of lies. they keep telling us how much the economy has expanded, while the economic realities say otherwise. it is all smoke and mirrors, and bond offerings.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is some captain f**king obvious s**t. more informal jobs? you don't say. who would have expected that constant increase in the protection and benefit of the employees with scare potential employers from creating genuine work places. to legally employ someone costs you 150% of the salary, the 50% being all the damn extras you need to pay and put away. pass some laws in favour of employers and then we can talk.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A, "Tax On "PUSSY"????????????
That's IT!
"No "PUSSY" For YOU"!!!!
"Fornication" without representation"??????????
I guess it Could be considered a "Food Source"???????
"Yum,Yum"!!!!!!
I LIKE THAT idea better!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC