The bateys in seibo...

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I travelled the country by guagua last week.. I ventured all over, and found myself one day on a guagua from san pedro de Marcoris to El seibo and Hato Mayor.. I couldn't help but be in awe of the poverty I saw from the roadside.. I didn't know at the time, but they were bateys I was seeing... some homes looked like boxes ... I carried on further on a second guagua form Seibo to La Romana and passed many more number bateys, batey 105 , batey 106, batey peligroso.... and things looked so so desperate..I didnt get off but just observed ... but felt very sad...I know things are rough in the DR, and some Dominicans get a very bad deal .. I see it often when I visit the campos of the north, But they even look middle -class in comparison to this misery I witnessed. I so wanted to get off the guagua and give out money or food or whatever, but I didn't ....... it just feels so terrible to see those kids in such a desperate plight... I don't know if I can do this anymore.. the poverty is unending....

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
That is life in a third world country. There but for the grace of God could be you. Always be thankful for what you have.

LTSteve

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
EL Seibo is a well known area of poverty and political/social unrest.

A lady I know was a teacher there for many years... she loves telling me the stories about her years there...

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I so wanted to get off the guagua and give out money or food or whatever, but I didn't ....... it just feels so terrible to see those kids in such a desperate plight... I don't know if I can do this anymore.. the poverty is unending....

Then there is a glimmer of hope. Sometimes Peace Corps volunteers will be placed in selected bateys to help, but often missionaries are the ones that attempt to make a difference in the long run, usually by building schools. The reality is that the government may never get around to helping, but good hearted souls like yourself can make a difference to some. I'd encourage you to reach out to one and see where you can help.

When I left Peace Corps I gave the few things I owned to a Haitian family that had just lost everything to a fire. (The fire was incredibly suspicious.) I think everyone in the village, who I had really bonded with, resented that I did that. My only regret was really never having gotten to know them or help them in any way besides that. It was just so discouraged by the Dominicans around me. (That was North Coast.) East Coast I found to be a little more accommodating, and many around me would hire them to help out more.

I, like you, continue to find "real Dominicans" what is interesting about the country (speaking now as the occasional tourist) but have found over time how draining that can be.

What you are going through now is why everyone who lives there recommends to rent/try it out etc. before committing a full retirement. It all wears on you after awhile. They key, imo, is to find the balance. And often times getting involved in one project, like the orphanage we see DR1'ers contributing to, is enough to give you a sense that you can make a difference. The other part of the balance is not "going native" and interacting only with Dominicans. It's having at least a few gringo friends, that help you keep it all in perspective. (Or at least a good internet connection to keep in touch through DR1!)

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Then there is a glimmer of hope. Sometimes Peace Corps volunteers will be placed in selected bateys to help, but often missionaries are the ones that attempt to make a difference in the long run, usually by building schools. The reality is that the government may never get around to helping, but good hearted souls like yourself can make a difference to some. I'd encourage you to reach out to one and see where you can help.

When I left Peace Corps I gave the few things I owned to a Haitian family that had just lost everything to a fire. (The fire was incredibly suspicious.) I think everyone in the village, who I had really bonded with, resented that I did that. My only regret was really never having gotten to know them or help them in any way besides that. It was just so discouraged by the Dominicans around me. (That was North Coast.) East Coast I found to be a little more accommodating, and many around me would hire them to help out more.

I, like you, continue to find "real Dominicans" what is interesting about the country (speaking now as the occasional tourist) but have found over time how draining that can be.

What you are going through now is why everyone who lives there recommends to rent/try it out etc. before committing a full retirement. It all wears on you after awhile. They key, imo, is to find the balance. And often times getting involved in one project, like the orphanage we see DR1'ers contributing to, is enough to give you a sense that you can make a difference. The other part of the balance is not "going native" and interacting only with Dominicans. It's having at least a few gringo friends, that help you keep it all in perspective. (Or at least a good internet connection to keep in touch through DR1!)

thanksfor that wonderful response