Sosua, Cabarete or where for an anniversary

jno

Oct 26, 2013
We were looking forward to going to Sosua, but after seeing so many videos on youtube about the hookers I'm really not sure it's a place for an anniversary?

We're not looking for a place to surf or a big party place, but we would like to have access to the bars, restaurants, safe place and a nice beach. Sosua seemed like it had a lot of things we were looking for, including a lot of places to eat around the beach and places to stay in the shade. It's just if you type in sosua in youtube, it's hard to find anything except information about working women.

I'm just wondering if there's any other recommendations for other places that would be nice for our anniversary? I'm wondering if it's a place for a anniversary? Cabarete looked like it might be a better fit, but we do want a lot of restaurants with local food and bars and during the day if there's a place with some shade as well. It just seems like a lot of people go to Cabarete for suffering and Sosua for the women.

We don't want anything that's all inclusive that we feel trapped in a hotel on the beach.

Thanks in advance

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Cabarete is a little more toned down, and probably a better fit for an anniversary, IMO anyway, and if you need to go to Sosua its only a 10 min ride there. There are plenty of restaurants in Cabarete too.....

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
We were looking forward to going to Sosua, but after seeing so many videos on youtube about the hookers I'm really not sure it's a place for an anniversary?

We're not looking for a place to surf or a big party place, but we would like to have access to the bars, restaurants, safe place and a nice beach. Sosua seemed like it had a lot of things we were looking for, including a lot of places to eat around the beach and places to stay in the shade. It's just if you type in sosua in youtube, it's hard to find anything except information about working women.

I'm just wondering if there's any other recommendations for other places that would be nice for our anniversary? I'm wondering if it's a place for a anniversary? Cabarete looked like it might be a better fit, but we do want a lot of restaurants with local food and bars and during the day if there's a place with some shade as well. It just seems like a lot of people go to Cabarete for suffering and Sosua for the women.

We don't want anything that's all inclusive that we feel trapped in a hotel on the beach.

Thanks in advance
I didn't know people went to Cabarete for the suffering................:laugh:

jno

Oct 26, 2013
I also thought it was weird somebody would travel there for the suffering

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Cabarete for beach life and sports. Some good restaurants as well, at a price.

Sosua for character..

Hotel in Cab and visit Sosua in my view would be the best solution for a close couple.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
HONEYMOON IN SOSUA is like spaghetti without dressing ! Stick to Cabarete, then take a guaga, ( dom bus) to Sosua for a day trip ,enjoy! then get the H.LL OUT OF DODGE ... Sosua is daylight friendly ,trolls out at night ! ...you may want also to stop in Playero ( largest grocery store) to bring back any goodies u may find as cabarete does not have a large grocery store ( Janets is pretty good in CaBarete yet much smaller than Playero .... CABARETES BEACH BARS ARE wonderfully romantic , when your not ...Bumpiddy Bump ,Bumpiddy

jno

Oct 26, 2013
thanks every one for the feedback.

I guess my question about cabarete would be is there anything really to do there and is pretty much dead? From reading online it appears that sosua has a nicer beach and it is not as wavy, so it seems people go to cabarete to SURF (suffer) from what I read online.

It just seems that if we're spending the entire day in sosua and taking a bus/taxi/moto that we might as well stay in Sosua? We are pretty early risers, so I really don't think we'll even be out that late, so we might even avoid most of the night life in Sosua. We are fluent in Spanish also, if that makes any difference.

Again, I really appreciate all the feedback so far

May 29, 2006
Cabarete beach is much bigger and better by far and you can watch the kite boarders all day. Better food on the beach(and off) too. Sosua is nicer if you like walking around town in the daytime. Main downside for the beach in Cabarete is beer and food is more expensive. It's definitely worth bringing a small cooler with you(and chill packs), then buying beer by the six pack at the grocery store.

12318992.jpg

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
thanks every one for the feedback.

I guess my question about cabarete would be is there anything really to do there and is pretty much dead? From reading online it appears that sosua has a nicer beach and it is not as wavy, so it seems people go to cabarete to SURF (suffer) from what I read online.

It just seems that if we're spending the entire day in sosua and taking a bus/taxi/moto that we might as well stay in Sosua? We are pretty early risers, so I really don't think we'll even be out that late, so we might even avoid most of the night life in Sosua. We are fluent in Spanish also, if that makes any difference.

Again, I really appreciate all the feedback so far

Cabarete beach BLOWS Sosua beach out of the water. (yes you are reading this online too). There is a reef that keeps most big waves away from the beach, its far bigger that Sosua.
People say they come to Cabarete beach to surf, but in reality its Playa Encuentro that is the surf beach, which is still inside the Cabarete municipality, but is between Cabarete and Sosua.
You can sit on a much bigger beach (like way more sand) and watch the kiters all day long.
Sosua beach is dirty and sucks the big one......

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
It cost about a 1 us to go to Sosua or cabarete to Sosua each person and takes 15 to 20 min travel .Cabarete beach is much nicer nars restaurants and happy hour is pretty cheap! more Romantic and family friendly than Sosua Beach . DAY TRIPS TO SOSUA , FORGET NIGHT! .... HONEYMOON .IS CABARETE AND ALSO NICE BREEZE ... NO BRAINER!!!!!
zxwup1.jpg

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Oh the Sosua bashers....please stay in Cabarete and overpay for everything. More sand???? what's the big deal, most people grab a lounger and tan so who cares how big the beach is. Kiters??? who cares...while tanning, your eyes are closed. Seriously there are benefits to both places and I recommend everybody goes to both. You will be hassled by vendors in both places equally. Cabarete bores me, but if you like a beach with restaurants and nothing more than it may be your choice. Sosua has much more charm and people.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
jno,
I suggest none of the above except as side trips -Stay at Natura Cabana in Perla Marina, enjoy the Kayana resturant for breakfast and lunch and go to Chez Asenios for Dinner just a stoll away. Enjoy the almost deserted Perla Marina beach where there is no hasle and take side trips to Sosua for a day at the beach eating at the Scandinavian Bar about halfway down the Sosua beach , take a Taxi to Cabarete and enjoy the beach at Unos or Kahana

Try it - google these places and see!

Olly and the Team

May 29, 2006
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is Sosua beach is CLOSED at night... A Playa Caberete they sometimes have live shows sponsored by Brugal or Presidente.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Cabarete Beach is nicer than Sosua Beach.

Las Terrenas is nicer (meaning less commercial, and frankly more beautiful IMHO) than either of the above, and has some really cool indie hotels and restaurants. The town is laid out differently than Cabarete, but is more or less the same size.

Castellamonte is located just outside of Cabrera. The Orchid Bay development has some of the finest rental properties available on the island. Really expensive, but worth it.

Congrats, and have fun.

Combo

Mar 29, 2011
I'd go with Cabarete as it has more lodging options that are directly on the beach. And the beach is nicer (though Sosua Beach is decent enough). To me it's worth it to be able to walk out of your hotel and be right on the sand. That is something that, for the most part, Sosua lacks.

I would certainly venture into Sosua for dining, et al. Sosua IMO has more sabor/character than Cabarete.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
If you can afford it rent a villa and a car. Stay at Perla Marina or Sea Horse Ranch.

Sosua is a real singles party town with the nightlife that goes with it. It also has a sizeable semiretiree community.

Cabarette is a surfertown with a nice beach, romantic restaurants but lacks culture.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
One nice experience is taking a lovely HOBE BOAT trip that leaves from the Playa Dorada , and travels along the coast and settles close to Sosua bay area and returns back to Playa Dorada . it includes food and drinks and if you get a good group its an EXCELLENT DAY OUTING . Last year it was 55 us each, ...your in the caribbean so the fantasy of being on the water is a must isnt ? Lol ... One note , Sosua has a poor reputation in general so i would not be mentioning we had a honeymoon in Sosua . if you choose it enjoy but say you stayed in Cabarete .... That does not mean it is , however .....