Where are the hurricanes

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
So much talk about global warming and the increase in temperatures that will make more tropical storms and hurricanes. What happened we need some rain on the north coast.

May 29, 2006
Be careful what you wish for. Meanwhile in India:

Screen+Shot+2013-10-11+at+7.58.07+AM.png

The DR got lucky this year...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Rain, yes, hurricanes, no. A tropical depression would be sufficient

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Hurricane season is not over yet. Still have until the end of November.

It's not over til it's over.:)

Last edited:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I take it you've never lived through the helpless experience of a hurricane and its aftermath? I'll take very dry weather any day over a hurricane!

May 29, 2006
That's the one from earlier this month. 250KPH winds- that's over 150MPH. Amazing they were able to evacuate so well. Only a few deaths.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
That's the one from earlier this month. 250KPH winds- that's over 150MPH. Amazing they were able to evacuate so well. Only a few deaths.

Ya. I posted about it in the weather thread. They did an amazing job evacuating and very few lost with that monster.

Good shot that you posted really shows the size of it. Let's NOT have one here, tankyouberymunch.

May 29, 2006
Yeah Sandy was bad up here even though it was technically just a very large Cat 1. Houses up here aren't made for that kind of weather and there is a lot more alluvial soil that can wash away.

After Irene, I went through a tiny town in NY that was all but wiped out. Debris block the river at a bridge a few miles up and the entire river was diverted through the town with 6 feet of water. Whole houses were still in the river from being swept away.

I remember Agnes in '73 and we were under two feet of water. Corning NY was under 20ft of water.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have no desire to be around for a hurricane, tsunami, or earthquake.

The north coast has never been hit by a hurricane in recorded history. I was flying to the DR to live full time the day a rather large earthquake hit the Puerto Plata area. I had met people that died in the tsunami that hit Sri Lanka.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Georges was enough of an experience for me. Especially living in Santo Domingo at the time, de aquel lado... it was baaaaddd

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know exactly what you mean. i long for rain. hurricane itself? not so much. i am not scared or worried about them, after all, i live in the zone. but i know what they can do.

Dubcreator

Sep 15, 2013
Belgium
So much talk about global warming and the increase in temperatures that will make more tropical storms and hurricanes. What happened we need some rain on the north coast.
Just spent three weeks in La Romana area, we had enough rain, maybe you should come over here and install some heavy duty ventilators to blow the clouds to the north...
We shure don't hear the Mexicans complain that there's not enough rain, maybe you should consider moving over there or go to Scotland.
Just pray to the Taino gods that the hurricanes stay away, the poor people don't like them, because they lose their homes...

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
LOL drstock - I come from the UK and everyone said we were mad to come to the Caribbean with all its bad storms, they have had far worse over the last 6-7 years than we have.

A few small storms (like tropical depressions) are fine by me, I seriously do not want to experience a hurricane thank you very much, may we long stay on this lovely quiet path. I remember the year we arrived TWO tropical storms within the first two months, one after the other - thought we were going to float away, lol... since then it has been total bliss :) so really am not interested in doing the 'rain dance'...