Thanks in advance for your prayers....

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
If you are a prayer, I thank you in advance if you will pray for me and my family. Next week I have an interview for a work from home nursing position. Not quite the money I am used to making (it is only $52,000/yr and I am used to 6 figures) but it is certainly enough to live off of in DR if I trim my lifestyle a little. I did mention the low salary and was sent an email that that is negotiable.
If I accept it, I would probably have to move again (sigh) because my rent is 68,000rd and the biggest expense by far that I have. I'm sick of moving my kids but my desire to be able to be home full-time is strong. I have lots of stuff going on and I can't keep up with all of it hopping planes every wednesday.
So again, thank you in advance if you will pray.

SHALENA

P.S.
I hope this won't get deleted. I felt it was DR related as I'm trying to stay home in DR.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Excellent news! I know that feeling all too well Years ago. I applied for my first Manager's position with Ford, starting pay was around 65,000 plus a Year, much more than I was making as an Parts Counterman (avg 35,000 - 40,000) Waited on that call, rubbed all rabbits feet, prayed, fingers/toes crossed..BAM! Got it..That there was a HUGE stepping stone. With that experience under my belt I moved on 2 or 3 times landing my final job of an 18 Year career as an Parts/service director, 140,000 annual..What a life changer!!

I know you will be taking a hit in pay, but at least you can adjust your expenses and be home with your children. Perhaps in time, you can do some outpatient work at home, should you be able to convert a room into an office. Do weekends only or off hours from hopefully this new job, wait for something even better to come along and/or keep looking

Prayers are with you! Also, sent you a PM a few weeks ago, did you see it?

God Bless

Anthony

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I don't prey. But I sometimes find myself talking to my long gone grandfather. I can not and will not explain.

You have worked hard Shalena.

I can only think of and hope for the best for you and your kids. And that I will do.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I'll send some prayers your way and I can help you find a rental in Santiago that isn't going to break the bank like that. 68k could rent a mansion in Quintas de Pontezuela so I'm sure we can find you something nice for a reasonable price to keep you around. Send me a PM if I can help with anything, I have been buying a lot of land lately in Santiago and know where all the great rental deals are, maybe even get you close to me in Dorado II :)

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I will be praying for you, Shalena. That salary is still very good and as long as you scale down (which I'm sure you will) you will be just fine. Good Luck with your job interview. Hopefully next time you post it will be to tell us you got the position.:)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not pray either. but sending you best wishes of good luck. you can work things out with this salary, seeing that you will no longer travel and you can keep closer eye on expenses here.

24c63o9.gif

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Best wishes to you are appropriate on this Sunday of prayer. Change, Shalena, stirs the soul. Good luck.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
If 52k is clean than that's 185000 pesos / month. It should be possible to pay 68k rent from that if you don't want to move.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Shalena,
my prayers might not help much - so let's do a bit of arithmetic

I do this on the open forum in case anyone can add to it.

Take you salary - deduct your taxes = net salary

Now add up your airfares - they are , I assume after tax $$$ - and deduct that.
You may keep a NYC apartment - deduct that too.

In your new world you will make whatever BUT

No more airfares
no more apartment

and maybe, just maybe, less taxes.

Doing this will tell you what you really earn and you can compare it to what you will really be making w/ the new job.

Give that a try and see where you will stand vis-a-vis 'old vs new'

for sure , the numbers will be closer and you may find you're not going backwards too much

Hope this helps

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks everyone.
Believe me, I have calculated and RE-calculated. With my current position I take home $2,200/wk CLEAN with this job I will take home about $700/wk CLEAN. Very big difference, But I have decided that I do not want to move. I just do not have the strength to move again and my kids deserve to stay in one place. Therefore I am thinking of maybe (if I am offered the job), coming to NYC once per month for a long weekend to work (Fri, Sat, and Sun) to make my some extra money. I'll still be traveling but at least only once per month for 3 days.
I'll see how it all works out.
I was so jet lagged last week that I fell asleep on a conference call for one of my classes in midwifery school!
I will let you know what happens.

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Excellent news! I know that feeling all too well Years ago. I applied for my first Manager's position with Ford, starting pay was around 65,000 plus a Year, much more than I was making as an Parts Counterman (avg 35,000 - 40,000) Waited on that call, rubbed all rabbits feet, prayed, fingers/toes crossed..BAM! Got it..That there was a HUGE stepping stone. With that experience under my belt I moved on 2 or 3 times landing my final job of an 18 Year career as an Parts/service director, 140,000 annual..What a life changer!!

I know you will be taking a hit in pay, but at least you can adjust your expenses and be home with your children. Perhaps in time, you can do some outpatient work at home, should you be able to convert a room into an office. Do weekends only or off hours from hopefully this new job, wait for something even better to come along and/or keep looking

Prayers are with you! Also, sent you a PM a few weeks ago, did you see it?

God Bless

Anthony

Yes I did. I wrote back. Not sure what happened.

SHALENA

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Shalena/Sking is a very smart person from what I have read over the years and we have butted heads.

I think that Shalena, yes U dear, needs is support and that we all say that's all is good.

No one can do that and U know that Shalena. And no one will help if u need.

YOU have to figure this out. I've been thinking of you and yours since your OP.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Thanks everyone.
Believe me, I have calculated and RE-calculated. With my current position I take home $2,200/wk CLEAN with this job I will take home about $700/wk CLEAN. Very big difference, But I have decided that I do not want to move. I just do not have the strength to move again and my kids deserve to stay in one place. Therefore I am thinking of maybe (if I am offered the job), coming to NYC once per month for a long weekend to work (Fri, Sat, and Sun) to make my some extra money. I'll still be traveling but at least only once per month for 3 days.
I'll see how it all works out.
I was so jet lagged last week that I fell asleep on a conference call for one of my classes in midwifery school!
I will let you know what happens.

SHALENA

Once a month would be perfect! You can handle it.;)

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Good luck Shalena, but you already seem to have been lucky enough landing a job here on a good salary, and it is a good salary here if you are stepping onto the ladder. So well done.

F/E
Must be an American thing I expect but you guys sure have no issues broadcasting your incomes and lifestyles around, I thought that was reserved for a certain scene and not all. Not important but very noticeable and I've not come across it as such before.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Good luck Shalena, but you already seem to have been lucky enough landing a job here on a good salary, and it is a good salary here if you are stepping onto the ladder. So well done.

F/E
Must be an American thing I expect but you guys sure have no issues broadcasting your incomes and lifestyles around, I thought that was reserved for a certain scene and not all. Not important but very noticeable and I've not come across it as such before.

It is not smart to advertise what your take home pay is, to your closest 63,913 friends, nothing good can come from this.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
It's not that, it's just not very classy, income is and should be personal once you're in a career, but that is only how I was brought up and how I have conducted myself over my career. To each his own and not to take anything away from the accomplishment, should it be.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Well, I wasn't thinking. Now that I am, that was not good but if you or anyone else is planning to rob me make sure you get it rightcuz my security shoots to kill. They've killed 2 ladrones so far in the last 5 months. And seeing as almost every seguro dad has hit on me at least once, I'm sure they wouldn't mind blowing someone away to make a good impression on me :)
I've accidentally set of my alarm twice already and they've been there in less than a minute. When I get home, I'll tell them I'm a little afraid and give them a little something for extra patrolling on my street.
That wasn't a very smart thing to do on my part but I also don't let fear rule my life. If I did, I wouldn't be living in DR at all.

SHALENA

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
I don't think you are under threat of kidnapping or burglary on that wage:bandit:, you miss my point but might have picked up on Tambo's, even then I don't think the issue he may have meant would come from people wanting to rob you. Think you are unlucky enough to ever become involved in a financial dispute or have a lawsuit drawn against you (or even break some guys legs on a moto) any time in the near or distant future. Not likely, but worth the risk?

Anyway, not worth the strain of contemplating, good luck on the outcome of the job!