Fresh filets of fish

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Where can you buy fresh caught and filleted fish in Sosua / Cabarete area ?

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
freshly caught? yes. freshly filleted? i do not recommend it.

Why ? Surely there must be a something better than the frozen, water-logged crap, from Chile and Thailand, that we get @ Playero and La Sirena. And lots of folks don't want to - or can't - filet a fish.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
There is an Association of Fishermen in Sosua that sell (at least did up to a year ago) for 90 pesos per lb most fish. They sell where all the boats leave to fish, near the outlet to a river. Perhaps someone could give info on how to get there. Or ask around in Sosua- someone will know.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Ah- to be more specific- it is Los Tablones, Charamicos, SOSUA. Ask for La Asociacion de Pescadores de Sosua in Los Charamicos (Sosua) Someone will guide you down to where they sell. Best to go in the morning.

May 29, 2006
Look for fishermen selling fresh Parrotfish. It's my favorite reef fish because it has a plate like bone that you can easily pull out as soon as it's cooked.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Pick out the fresh whole fish that you want and then tell them how you want it. They will fillet it for you.

We have a guy that my wife calls and he comes to our place in Playa Chiquita/Sosua with the fresh "catch of the day". Sorry, I don't have his number.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Pick out the fresh whole fish that you want and then tell them how you want it. They will fillet it for you.

We have a guy that my wife calls and he comes to our place in Playa Chiquita/Sosua with the fresh "catch of the day" and depending on the fish will prep it to how my wife wants it. Sorry, I don't have his number.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
I would like to have this service when I'm in Santiago. I have a number to a local pescaderia that I visit in person. Quite often, he doesn't have what I need and sometimes he calls me when the catch is already two or three days old. I was given a tip to visit the market in La Joya, but again, the fish is frozen stiff and often appear scary looking - contorted with mouth wide open.

I don't eat any red meat or chicken, thus finding a reliable place is very important to me. I would substitute the lack of fresh fish by eating vegetarian, bacalao, or arenque.

Someone even told me to go to Maimon. I went, as I do occasionally to dine, however, I wasn't successful trying to source it fresh. So I guess the last resort would be to travel to Sosua, make my selections, then trek back to Santiago. The is one inconvenience I surely miss being a resident of New York - we have a plethora of fresh fish stores.

As weird as this may sound, I've even entertained the idea of calling the Fish Association written above, and tell them exactly what I want, and have them put in on a metro bus. Some payment arrangement could be established firsthand. Just the logistics of this is scary because it's perishable food and anything could happen in the preparation, or even packaging.

The worst is that they don't deliver and rob me, or somehow, the fish gets contaminated to the joy of many here on this board. Delite would be gone forever! :))

A number in Sosua would be great, anyone?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
In Sosua area. Daniel, 829-602-6652

I don't think that he is going to run down the Santiago to sell you one fish. lol

Perhaps he knows when and where the fresh fish truck delivers in Santiago. :)

gray

Apr 11, 2013
isn't ironic that we live on a Caribbean island and fish is hard to get!

i might have a better chance of getting the things i want in Timbuktu or Siberia!

what year are we in? this place is getting frustrating!

sorry just having a moment, i'm done now
sorry Delite i can't help, im in the same situation

gray

Apr 11, 2013

i might have a better chance of getting the things i want in Timbuktu or Siberia!

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006

I don't think that he is going to run down the Santiago to sell you one fish. lol

Thanks Ringo, you're a star! :). I normally purchase a two or three week supply - wouldn't be just a fish. :)

I'll save his number and give him a call to see if he can facilitate my arrangement, or ask him about the truck; if there's one. I believe my local guy travels there possibly every other week. The prices and availability can increase considerably around Easter; for obvious reasons of course. Maybe I can buy shrimp and other seafood too :)

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006

Thanks Ringo, you're a star! :). I normally purchase a two or three week supply - wouldn't be just a fish. :)

I'll save his number and give him a call to see if he can facilitate my arrangement, or ask him about the truck; if there's one. I believe my local guy travels there possibly every other week. The prices and availability can increase considerably around Easter; for obvious reasons of course. Maybe I can buy shrimp and other seafood too :)

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006

I thought the same thing too until I took a few things into consideration. First off, Santiago is land locked. If I were living in Sosua, Puerto Plata, Santo Domingo, etc. the situation would have been different. Secondly, possibly Dominicans aren't fish loving folks like the other islands - this is a pork eating place :)))). Thirdly, there's a cost associated with the price of fish which prevents the average guy from affording it.

When I cook, I often give my trusted taxista food. I remember the first time he ate the fish. He told me previously that he doesn't like fish but this was partly due to him not being able to afford it on a regular basis. He was like a baby testing a new formula. :).

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006

I thought the same thing too until I took a few things into consideration. First off, Santiago is land locked. If I were living in Sosua, Puerto Plata, Santo Domingo, etc. the situation would have been different.

Secondly, possibly Dominicans aren't fish loving folks like the other islands - this is a pork eating place :)))). Thirdly, there's a cost associated with the price of fish which prevents the average guy from affording it.

When I cook, I often give my trusted taxista food. I remember the first time he ate the fish. He told me previously that he doesn't like fish but this was partly due to him not being able to afford it on a regular basis. He was like a baby testing a new formula. :).

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Bravo in Santiago have excellent quality fresh fish including live fish in tanks. They will fillet the fish for you.

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
I noted the last time I came down to cabarete that there were some fisherman going out early in the day and coming back around 2 or 3 in afternoon and selling their catch. also there were pictures I think posted by frank12 of guys selling fish along the beach. there is also place a few paces down from janets who sells fish you might try there . good luck

May 29, 2006

Not as odd as you might think. The reefs are over-fished and pollution from runoff and development doesn't help. Once you get into deep sea fishing, economy of scale comes into play and then the boats go after the big fish like tuna and swordfish. There's Jack and Dolrado but those are a lot of work compared to industrial fishing.

It's a lot of work to manage the fishing industry and, unless the fishermen are on board with you, it's impossible to effectively regulate. I think there's a lot of potential using Fish Aggregating Devices(FADS) for game fish, but the government needs to lend a hand to create them. It's not complex tech and Hawaii uses them all over the place in part to support game fishing for tourists. The locations in Hawaii can be linked to a GPS device so anyone can find them.

fad.jpg

When I was up in the Turks and Caicos Islands, the waters were teaming with fish, but there is hardly any population to have an effect on it. They over-fish lobsters and conch for export, but they aren't exactly difficult to catch. Luckily, the stocks can recover when overfished, but it takes about 10 years.

Last edited:

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
Bravo in Santiago have excellent quality fresh fish including live fish in tanks. They will fillet the fish for you.

I've never tried Bravo, but I've been to Nacional quite a few times. Even though I only eat fish, I'm also finicky about the types - I don't like tilapia or trout, for example. I eat a lot of snappers (red, blue, yellow, and even gray), whitings, blue-fish, flounder, porgy, etc. I would love to be able to get "parrot fish" also. :)