Fresh water fishing

canned oj

Oct 24, 2013
Been following DR1 over a year and thought it time to join. This is my 3rd winter in Sosua Cabarete area. Starting to get the hang of it.Has anyone done any fresh water fishing near by. Am wondering if it's worth while bringing small rod and tackle. Thanks in advance canned oj

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Been following DR1 over a year and thought it time to join. This is my 3rd winter in Sosua Cabarete area. Starting to get the hang of it.Has anyone done any fresh water fishing near by. Am wondering if it's worth while bringing small rod and tackle. Thanks in advance canned oj

I wondered about fresh water fishing, river and lake, when I arrived over 10 years ago. I've never heard of anyone doing it or if ANY fish are in those waters. My fishing gear rotted.

Not only is their no fish???? No one has confirmed, but I'd worry about the abundant amount of pollution in just about every water system.

I miss the weekend getaways to go fishing.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
There was a guy that did Yasika river fishing, but he was rather expensive. He has caught a few big ones, but as Ringo said I would be worried about the quality of fish you get out of that river.
There is a large lake near Cotui, where you can fish off shore, but it would be better if you had access to a boat.

PropertyServiceTeam

Apr 17, 2013
Fresh water fishing can be very good, catfishes, carps up to 40 pounds and black bass, and some more. You need a boat for the lakes!!

PropertyServiceTeam

Apr 17, 2013
yes, places are near the new "acueducto", problem is to fish at night, you know what this means here in DR!! You need a handfull dominican friends or some locals for cover the area. when i do that y invite some locals, buy un gallon the brugal and a view pounds of "vivres" so they can cook and drunk and i am safe!!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
btw, from the acueducto downwards i dont it fish!!! countrysides yes. There is one river in the mountains with trouts!! rainbows!

TROUT? DID YOU SAY ..... RAINBOW TROUT? Clean white water that I can use my fly rod?

.............. now someone tells me. I sold all that stuff before I moved here.

PropertyServiceTeam

Apr 17, 2013
yes ringo, but it is more climbing than fishing! i do it with streamer and spinrod, ultralight, catch and release just a few for the campfire!

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
PST, I?m a sceptic, and until I see a pic with you and a rainbow in the DR I won?t believe it.......although I?m hoping this is true as I love to fish for trout, but unless someone transplanted them here they are not indigenious to this climate. And even though someone did this they wouldn?t survive..........
Make me a believer, post a pic by the campfire cookin up a couple of rainbows.........please.......

PropertyServiceTeam

Apr 17, 2013
HD, you are right, they are no indigenious and your wrong, .. they can survive, for reproduction needs a winter (water) temperature from 8 to 10 degrees!! was a spanish guy the bring it here 20 years ago, and if you know the island then you know just a view places have this conditions!! But also i am not interested to public this to much but this is very sensible and i dont want this place is empty in a vew years because guys coming and catch they all!! let me try how i can upload a foto

PropertyServiceTeam

Apr 17, 2013

Last edited:

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Haltillo Resovor near Maimon (Bonao). Large mouth bass. Lots of them in the 3 to 5 lb. Also, lots of nice perch. You can fish off the shore or use an innertube. My friend has a pontoon boat which is available for a nominal fee. Also nice hotel nearby with western food. Cheers!