Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Fresh water fishing

  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Fresh water fishing

    Been following DR1 over a year and thought it time to join. This is my 3rd winter in Sosua Cabarete area. Starting to get the hang of it.Has anyone done any fresh water fishing near by. Am wondering if it's worth while bringing small rod and tackle. Thanks in advance canned oj

  2. #2
    On Vacation!
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,676
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by canned oj View Post
    Been following DR1 over a year and thought it time to join. This is my 3rd winter in Sosua Cabarete area. Starting to get the hang of it.Has anyone done any fresh water fishing near by. Am wondering if it's worth while bringing small rod and tackle. Thanks in advance canned oj
    I wondered about fresh water fishing, river and lake, when I arrived over 10 years ago. I've never heard of anyone doing it or if ANY fish are in those waters. My fishing gear rotted.

    Not only is their no fish???? No one has confirmed, but I'd worry about the abundant amount of pollution in just about every water system.

    I miss the weekend getaways to go fishing.

  3. #3
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,317
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There was a guy that did Yasika river fishing, but he was rather expensive. He has caught a few big ones, but as Ringo said I would be worried about the quality of fish you get out of that river.
    There is a large lake near Cotui, where you can fish off shore, but it would be better if you had access to a boat.

  4. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Fresh water fishing can be very good, catfishes, carps up to 40 pounds and black bass, and some more. You need a boat for the lakes!!

  5. #5
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    32,498
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PropertyServiceTeam View Post
    Fresh water fishing can be very good, catfishes, carps up to 40 pounds and black bass, and some more. You need a boat for the lakes!!
    in the DR?

  6. #6
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yes, catfishes in rio isabela y ozama, also presa de rincon. Carps and blackbass in the lake presa de higuey, for example!!

  7. #7
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    32,498
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PropertyServiceTeam View Post
    Yes, catfishes in rio isabela y ozama, also presa de rincon. Carps and blackbass in the lake presa de higuey, for example!!
    Rio Ozama? edible creatures?

  8. Likes Wile E. Coyote liked this post
  9. #8
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    yes, places are near the new "acueducto", problem is to fish at night, you know what this means here in DR!! You need a handfull dominican friends or some locals for cover the area. when i do that y invite some locals, buy un gallon the brugal and a view pounds of "vivres" so they can cook and drunk and i am safe!!

  10. #9
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    btw, from the acueducto downwards i dont it fish!!! countrysides yes. There is one river in the mountains with trouts!! rainbows!

  11. #10
    On Vacation!
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,676
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PropertyServiceTeam View Post
    btw, from the acueducto downwards i dont it fish!!! countrysides yes. There is one river in the mountains with trouts!! rainbows!
    TROUT? DID YOU SAY ..... RAINBOW TROUT? Clean white water that I can use my fly rod?

    .............. now someone tells me. I sold all that stuff before I moved here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •