iPhone and a Claro SIM Card

rms171

Jun 28, 2013
Really need help here if possible. I have an unlocked iPhone and a Claro SIM card. I have exhausted myself trying to find anything on Claro's website about the daily cost of using an iPhone for calling and data while in the DR. I currently use my US iPhone and while I have a data package it is pricey nonetheless if I have to make a call or send a text. Also trying to find the a la carte cost for sending a text from the DR to the US on Claro prepago. Again not a helpful site and whenever I'm on the Claro site chat function is closed.

Sorry for the silly questions but I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with guidance on this.

Thanks.

gas

Jul 28, 2013
I also have an unlocked iPhone and claro sim. [It doesn't matter that it's an iPhone, prepago is prepago.] I don't live in the DR but visit at least a few times a year. I don't know the specific answers to your questions... it was never a big concern and it seemed like a hassle to get the info. I usually put a small amount of money on my account through one of the online services and transfer what I need for the internet. You need to take out a data plan which I think ranges from anywhere to 1 day to 1 month, maybe 2 months. As for how much data you get in megabytes, a Claro rep. once told me but I forgot. You can easily ask. You can take out a data plan by dialing *122# on your phone. Just make sure you have money in your Claro plan. You can get balance info by dialing *111#. A couple of sites that you can buy data online from are ezetop.com and etopuponline.com. I think the latter comes out a bit cheaper in the way of fees and exchange rate, but for some reason, it doesn't like my phone number. Anyway, it's only a matter of a few pesos and ezetop is always running specials.

I never really sweated the costs about messaging and calling, locally or to the US, because it never seems to cost that much in total during my visits. However, if you're a heavy user and/or are concerned, I suggest going in person to a Claro rep and asking.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Have you considered trying to go to one of their offices and asking? Or calling? 809-220-1111

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
currently, its their best deal..... messages only....

formerly, there were better options

texts and e-mails will survive on that..... better than CLARO - which no es claro

rms171

Jun 28, 2013
I get the global data plan but you can blow through 100 Mb in a flash especially if you're getting work email like I am even though I'm on 'vacation'. Texting is also expensive to send especially if I am doing so to someone in the RD.