Residency and Marriage?

ksanrio

Aug 21, 2013
Any one with knowledge or experience on temporary residency after marriage? I may get married next year and then taking an early retirement two years after that to enjoy the second half of my life in the DR. My concern is being able to stay with my wife there without having to do multiple visa runs. I presently hold a US citizenship.

Any help would be grateful

Thanks
K

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
I have no idea what the issue is. Just go through normal residency process, I wouldn't even bother getting married, won't help you.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Apparently, but u need confirmation, a dominicano marrys etrangera, etrangera residencia de una vey
Dominicana marrys etrangero, u have to go through with whole process of residencia ( my case ) .......

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Any one with knowledge or experience on temporary residency after marriage? I may get married next year and then taking an early retirement two years after that to enjoy the second half of my life in the DR. My concern is being able to stay with my wife there without having to do multiple visa runs. I presently hold a US citizenship.

Any help would be grateful

Thanks
K

After being married for six months you can become a Dominican citizen.... fast track!

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
After being married for six months you can become a Dominican citizen.... fast track!

Yeh, getting citizenship is rather more complicated than being married. Can, could, should and might are all parts of that equation. Nothing dodgy about it, just most are not up to it, and 'no' you can't slip a $ in his pocket and be assured.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It is slightly more complicated for a man married to a Dominican woman than a woman married to a Dominican man but in either event is significantly cheaper and easier than obtaining permanent residency.
The requirements are here
http://www.seip.gob.do/Portals/0/do...bre/REQUISITOS_POR_MATRIMONIO_PARA_HOMBRE.pdf

For marriages to Dominican men and women you need copies of both Birth certificates, Marriage certificate, publish advert of intention to obtain citizenship in a national paper, copy of spouse cedula, application form, 4 photos, copy of your passport. You also need to have an interview in Spanish on your knowledge of the DR.
In addition for foreign men marrying Dominican women you need to have had temporary residency for 6 months and you need a document from the local police in DR saying you are conviction free.

That is all there is to it.

Matilda

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
How long does it take after the marriage before you get your residency ? And how long after that can you divorce your esposo ??

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
How long does it take after the marriage before you get your residency ? And how long after that can you divorce your esposo ??

You don't need to have residency to get married. You need to have temporary residency for 6 months as a foreign man marrying a Dominican woman. You do not need residency of any sort if you are a foreign woman marrying a Dominican man. In both cases you need to have been married for 6 months. There is nothing in the rules about divorce. I assume they don't think people marry Dominicans just to get Dominican citizenship.

Matilda

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You don't need to have residency to get married. You need to have temporary residency for 6 months as a foreign man marrying a Dominican woman. You do not need residency of any sort if you are a foreign woman marrying a Dominican man. In both cases you need to have been married for 6 months. There is nothing in the rules about divorce. I assume they don't think people marry Dominicans just to get Dominican citizenship.

Matilda

You inspired me this morning Matilda - I just ordered a copy of my birth certificate and our marriage certificate from NYC. I've been waffling about this for years, but it's time.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You inspired me this morning Matilda - I just ordered a copy of my birth certificate and our marriage certificate from NYC. I've been waffling about this for years, but it's time.

Time for me too AE. I have ordered my birth cert with apostille from the UK. When it arrives here I will get it translated. Mr Matilda can get his birth cert and our marriage cert locally. Now the Junta is computerised there is no longer any need to go back to where you were born. All certs need to be legalised which is straightforward. The advert in the national paper can be done at any newspaper office and they are all around the country. That will cost a few hundred pesos. Photos, photocopies and fill in the form which you can download off the internet. Then take it all to the Ministry of Interior and Police (you do not have to be present) and they will give you date of your verbal 'all about the DR' test there - you can download the questions and I have prepared the answers, so let me know if you want a copy. Take the exam and that is it. Just wait. Much much cheaper than residency, less hassle, no medical and once done it lasts for ever. Let me know if you get stuck. Maybe we can take the exam on the same day!

Matilda

ksanrio

Aug 21, 2013
Time for me too AE. I have ordered my birth cert with apostille from the UK. When it arrives here I will get it translated. Mr Matilda can get his birth cert and our marriage cert locally. Now the Junta is computerised there is no longer any need to go back to where you were born. All certs need to be legalised which is straightforward. The advert in the national paper can be done at any newspaper office and they are all around the country. That will cost a few hundred pesos. Photos, photocopies and fill in the form which you can download off the internet. Then take it all to the Ministry of Interior and Police (you do not have to be present) and they will give you date of your verbal 'all about the DR' test there - you can download the questions and I have prepared the answers, so let me know if you want a copy. Take the exam and that is it. Just wait. Much much cheaper than residency, less hassle, no medical and once done it lasts for ever. Let me know if you get stuck. Maybe we can take the exam on the same day!

Matilda

Question about the exam, can I take it in english?

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
I understand no, it is all in Spaninican, as you need to show effort in integration. I doubt it is difficult, if you are considering it, surely you are at a decent level of the national language?
But the people I know who have done it are very well adjusted, mostly fluent.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Question about the exam, can I take it in english?

Haha no! You want to be a citizen of a country which is a Spanish speaking country! They also will report your Spanish ability on your application form so I suggest you start studying now. To be an English citizen you need to speak English, you also need to pass an English test before you can even get a UK residents visa. Can you become an American citizen without speaking English?

Matilda

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I was an "Illegal" when I married my Dominican wife!
Last time I asked "Guzman Ariza" (about 2 years ago) it was $4,500 for them to do your Dom.Citizenship".
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Check out the Ministry of Interior and Police link to the requirements for becoming a Dominican citizenship.

For those with at least one Dominican parent who are abroad and want to get their Dominican nationality, it is doable, but expect to make two or three trips. You may consider giving someone here a power of attorney to move your papers, but the trips will be inevitable because they do require your presence at several steps of the procedure.

For those acquiring the citizenship through marriage, I understand it is also not a complicated procedure.

I understand the reason why getting citizenship is easier is that you do the procedure only once. There is no thing as a temporary citizenship. And you are dealing basically with the Ministry of Interior and Police, but you also need to get your cedula at the JCE and your passport at the Passport Office.

Consultor?a Juridica - NATURALIZACIONES

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I have no idea what the issue is. Just go through normal residency process, I wouldn't even bother getting married, won't help you.

GUZM?N ARIZA ON IMMIGRATION

Spouse

A foreign national who legally marries a Dominican national may apply for citizenship after six months of marriage, no matter the location of the marriage. The foreign spouse must provide an authenticated and translated copyof the marriage certificate and the documents shown below under Residents, with some variations.

Immigration Law in Dominican Republic

Quote: ksanrio
"I may get married next year and then taking an early retirement two years after that to enjoy the second half of my life in the DR. My concern is being able to stay with my wife there without having to do multiple visa runs. I presently hold a US citizenship." End Quote

Renewing residency every year requires time and money, consequently one has to weigh costs and benefits on an individual basis. Hope this helps make you smarter.:p