Power of Attorney for my Kids Travel

CorletoLovesDR

Jul 8, 2002
Dear Members of DR1,

I have two important questions. I would greatly appreciate if anyone can provide accurate information about this. I am a US citizen living in Florida. My Dominican wife will be coming from D.R. for the first time with an immigrant visa. We have two daughters who were born in D.R., but I declared them at birth in the US Embassy in Santo Domingo and they are US citizens. My questions:

#1 Will my wife need to have a Power of Attorney from me (or "Poderes" in Spanish) in order to leave the D.R. with the girls? They are 4 years old and 1 year old.

#2 Are their US passports enough for them to travel? They have never been to the U.S. Will they also need to present their original Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CORBA) to leave DR and enter the US, besides their passports?

Thank you so much! Have a wonderful day!

mainegal

May 22, 2012
I could be wrong but if the kids have US passports they should be all good to travel on just those.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Dear Members of DR1,

My questions:

#1 Will my wife need to have a Power of Attorney from me (or "Poderes" in Spanish) in order to leave the D.R. with the girls? They are 4 years old and 1 year old.

From US State Dept website: "Travel of children and exit requirements: Strict exit requirements apply to minors under 18 years of age (of any nationality) who are residents in the Dominican Republic. Such children traveling alone, without one parent, or with anyone other than the parent(s), must present written authorization from a parent or legal guardian. This authorization must be in Spanish, and it must be notarized at a Dominican consulate in the United States,

or notarized and then certified at the Dominican Attorney General’s office (Procuraduria de la Republica) if done in the Dominican Republic.

More information, including current fee information, can be found at the Immigration Office's website." ~> Direccion General de Migracion

Last edited:

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
#2 Are their US passports enough for them to travel? They have never been to the U.S. Will they also need to present their original Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CORBA) to leave DR and enter the US, besides their passports?

A valid US Passport is proof of US citizenship. No other "travel" entry document is needed for returning citizen(s). This is not to be confused with the previous mentioned exit document that is required for exiting DR.

Last edited:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Tmnyc is correct. She basically needs approval from you and authorization from the DR authorities to be able to travel alone with them as they were born in the DR even though they're US citizens. Sometimes customs verifies, sometimes they don't but better safe than sorry!

darmealgo

Sep 5, 2004
Of four trips out of DR with my US/DR kid, I got the DR mother's written, legal permission the first two times. I was never asked for it at the airport. The next two times I didn't bother and never had a problem.

If the kids leave the DR on US passports with the legal mother there should be no problem but the permission affidavit is not expensive and not a great hassle to get legalized.

The correct and safe approach is to have permission of the missing parent, but don't be surprised if it's not needed.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
The correct and safe approach is to have permission of the missing parent, but don't be surprised if it's not needed.

Bingo! It's probably a small detail to have done, compared to the paperwork you've have to do to get to this point. One less thing for your wife to worry about if she has it with her.

Congratulations!