Santa Fe vs Edge vs Montero

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
A vehicle advisory thread again...

I'm close to get a second hand vehicle and considering Hyundai Santa Fe 2011, Ford Edge 2009/2010 or Mitsubishi Montero 2008.

I have about usd20k to spend.

Santa Fe: saw one with 47000 km driven, but it's coming from a rent a car.

Ford Edge: saw a beautiful 2012 model 4 cilinder but it's out of my budget. I can get a 2009 within my budget, but they are all V6 and I'm afraid of the mileage / gallon.

Mitsubishi Montero: I had a 2002 Diesel that gave me lots of trouble, my wife doesn't want to see a Montero ever again but I think we were just unlucky and in mileage / gallon it's hard to beat a Montero. 2008 model is more or less what I can afford.

Could any of the experts (i'm thinking playacaribe, pelaut, others?) or non-experts comment. Or give a suggestion of a good vehicle in that price range with likewise characteristics?

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
I have owned a 2007 Edge for 5 years. Excellent ride and a smooth transmission. Have 100,000 miles and other than regular maintenance I have had no problems with the vehicle and would buy another. It is however not good on gas mileage.
Hope this helps.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Hi Mauricio,

You want the best of both worlds! None of those options would give you very good gas mileage as a normal sedan would.
I would say the Hyundai is out cause its from a rental. And the Ford Edge is V6. I think you answered your own question!
The Monteros have had good track record in the DR. Maybe the Montero you had was a lemon,,,Also,you must think about down the road the availability of parts and mechanics who know how to serivce a vehicle, and thats the case with the Montero.
Dont get a diesel vehicle as it is expensive to repair in DR when they break down. Check out SuperCarros - Rep?blica Dominicana - compra de carros, venta de vehiculos, you might find what you are looking for. Dont trust any dealership. Bring your mechanic to check it out and if it was recently imported get a carfax. I got a Camry from Velozmovil in Santiago, it was a rental in the states, got the carfax and had it checked over. It has been great! Hope this helps!

Good Luck!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If a diesel is expensive to repair, does that repair cost exceed the amount saved in fuel?

Why would a diesel be more expensive to repair here than anywhere else?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
None of those vehicles are very fuel efficient so it's more a matter of taste. As mentioned above the Monteros (The Sport Version) have been very reliable in The DR, so not sure what the deal was with yours. Was it a Montero sport? Personally I like the look of the Edge better out of the three. Are those the only three models to consider? For instance I see lots of Ford escapes nowadays which you should be able to get at a much better price and it has pretty much all the features of the Edge. You should be able to get a 2011 or even 2012 Escape on your budget. There are also plenty of Tucson's out there around that price range.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If a diesel is expensive to repair, does that repair cost exceed the amount saved in fuel?

I'm with you, Windy

Diesels are everywhere here and ahve sloppier tolerances - looser fits.

If they fix a planta, they fix a diesel car engine

these car questions are so subjective its hard to advise...
next we'll be giving color consultations.

All these cars are good... if budget is the key issue - go negotiate and take the best deal.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Three completely different animals, so I guess it all depends on what you expect to use the car for.
Santa Fe and Edge are city vehicles, with the Santa Fe being roomier but also bigger and uglier (that is subjective, of course), and well, a Hyundai. Montero is the only real 4x4 vehicle of the three, but it's also the heaviest on gas and not really comfortable in day to day situations. To me it feels like it's about to roll over in every sharp corner. Mitsubishi will hold its value better than Ford or Hyundai.
If it was me, I would choose the Montero, if only because I simply dislike the other two.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Where is the savings on diesel? It costs more per gallon than gasolina.

In two ways. Diesel engines often get more miles/km per gallon that gasoline and
in today's Diario Libre the price of Diesel is 28.1 $RD less than regular gasoline:

Gasolina Regular 239.80
Gasoil / Di?sel Premium 218.40
Gasoil / Di?sel Regular 211.70

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
None of those vehicles are very fuel efficient so it's more a matter of taste. As mentioned above the Monteros (The Sport Version) have been very reliable in The DR, so not sure what the deal was with yours. Was it a Montero sport? Personally I like the look of the Edge better out of the three. Are those the only three models to consider? For instance I see lots of Ford escapes nowadays which you should be able to get at a much better price and it has pretty much all the features of the Edge. You should be able to get a 2011 or even 2012 Escape on your budget. There are also plenty of Tucson's out there around that price range.

I had the big montero (cara de gator). Transmission problems, fuel pump problems, front suspension problems). Probably just bought the wrong mistreated car.

I'm doubting if a rent a car vehicle means it's better or worse, I'm expecting rental companies (especially when they are owned by the importing dealer) give the vehicle it's due maintenance.

I personally like the edge most for its looks and the montero for its strong image and good fuel economy (25 mpg, while Santa Fe has 20 mpg and edge 15 mpg). Santa Fe is the newest car of the three and has less kilometers, so each option has it's merits. Will check out Escape as well.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

I had the big montero (cara de gato). Transmission problems, fuel pump problems, front suspension problems). Probably just bought the wrong mistreated car.

I'm doubting if a rent a car vehicle means it's better or worse, I'm expecting rental companies (especially when they are owned by the importing dealer) give the vehicle it's due maintenance.

I personally like the edge most for its looks and the montero for its strong image and good fuel economy (25 mpg, while Santa Fe has 20 mpg and edge 15 mpg). Santa Fe is the newest car of the three and has less kilometers, so each option has it's merits. Will check out Escape as well.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Remember, the annual miles here are not as high as the US/Canada... the mileage number can be misleading.

Do the math, spend $3,000 to get a better mpg car and save a few hundred a year... doesn't always add up.

Depends on your circumstances

Jan 9, 2004
A vehicle advisory thread again...

I'm close to get a second hand vehicle and considering Hyundai Santa Fe 2011, Ford Edge 2009/2010 or Mitsubishi Montero 2008.

I have about usd20k to spend.

Santa Fe: saw one with 47000 km driven, but it's coming from a rent a car.

Ford Edge: saw a beautiful 2012 model 4 cilinder but it's out of my budget. I can get a 2009 within my budget, but they are all V6 and I'm afraid of the mileage / gallon.

Mitsubishi Montero: I had a 2002 Diesel that gave me lots of trouble, my wife doesn't want to see a Montero ever again but I think we were just unlucky and in mileage / gallon it's hard to beat a Montero. 2008 model is more or less what I can afford.

Could any of the experts (i'm thinking playacaribe, pelaut, others?) or non-experts comment. Or give a suggestion of a good vehicle in that price range with likewise characteristics?

Mauricio:

Given those choices, its the Santa Fe...hands down...but only if its the 4 cylinder. The 2011 has turned out to be the most reliable of all the Santa Fe's. The 2010 Santa Fe V6 is the most troublesome with major transmission problems.

As to the one you looked at...a rental...where? Rental in the DR forget it fast...rental in the US forget it slow...but forget it. Rentals, while generally well maintained, tend to be more abused by the people who rent them.

Now lets not confuse rental with Lease. Leasing is generally to one person...much like a purchase...and while the Lessee has no ownership interest in the vehicle....as a rule..they are better treated than their rental cousins. Source out a different car at a different dealership.

Ford Edge 2009/2010. Prefer the 2009, slightly better reputation than the 2010...but as I believe has been pointed out above...they get poor fuel economy.

Mitsubishi....any Mitsubishi....diesel, 4 cylinder/6 cylinder jeep/car overall with the exception of the Outlander are not worth considering. I know they are very popular in the DR, but the quality of their product is just average across all vehicle lines except the Outlander.

My vote here between these three is the Santa Fe....but ultimately you must make the overall decision.

Good Luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Mauricio:

Given those choices, its the Santa Fe...hands down...but only if its the 4 cylinder. The 2011 has turned out to be the most reliable of all the Santa Fe's. The 2010 Santa Fe V6 is the most troublesome with major transmission problems.

As to the one you looked at...a rental...where? Rental in the DR forget it fast...rental in the US forget it slow...but forget it. Rentals, while generally well maintained, tend to be more abused by the people who rent them.

Now lets not confuse rental with Lease. Leasing is generally to one person...much like a purchase...and while the Lessee has no ownership interest in the vehicle....as a rule..they are better treated than their rental cousins. Source out a different car at a different dealership.

Ford Edge 2009/2010. Prefer the 2009, slightly better reputation than the 2010...but as I believe has been pointed out above...they get poor fuel economy.

Mitsubishi....any Mitsubishi....diesel, 4 cylinder/6 cylinder jeep/car overall with the exception of the Outlander are not worth considering. I know they are very popular in the DR, but the quality of their product is just average across all vehicle lines except the Outlander.

My vote here between these three is the Santa Fe....but ultimately you must make the overall decision.

Good Luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

The Santa Fe is from Dollar Rent a car, (owned by Magna). I checked the maintenance record and it showed several checks the first year, some minor repairs and since 2012 no reports, so either nothing done or reports deleted. It was a good option because of the price and being 2011 with not that many km (44,000), but I think you are right that it's better to stay away from a rental in DR.

The Edge I saw I drove it, ran carfax and the vehicle appears to have 162,000 miles instead of the 70,000 the odometer says. Cancelled the pre-venta check I scheduled for tomorrow and told the dealer (not viamar) what I found out and they admitted they turned it down.

I'll keep looking for a Santa Fe that's not from a rental company and also checking some Ford Escapes I see published on supercarros. It's not easy to buy a used car in DR.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010

Windy,

I meant more expensive than gasoline engines.... thanks

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
In the US I would go with the Santa Fe, In the DR, I would go with what has the most service/support/parts(new or used) available on the island, but that's me.....

Its like a previous post said, its also a matter of personal taste......be patient a look around a lot

Keep us posted!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
In the US I would go with the Santa Fe, In the DR, I would go with what has the most service/support/parts(new or used) available on the island, but that's me.....

Its like a previous post said, its also a matter of personal taste......be patient a look around a lot

Keep us posted!

I will! Looking at Ford Escape and Volkswagen Tiguan now.....the latter is a lot smaller than a santa fe or montero ofcourse, but has nice mpg. Maybe I shouldn't buy a big SUV for the few times we need it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we owned a montero sport for few years. it was a decent car but you'd find better breaks on a baby pram. that was the low of that car as i see it. we had no issues with it but miesposo is religious about car maintenance.
now we have a santa fe, company car. no issues again but they give maintenance to this baby on regular basis.

i liked montero. it was a tough car, you could take it to rough roads and it was a good ride. santa fe is a lot more civilized, it's a city car. it is very comfortable and spacious.