New House In Santo Domingo

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I have a good news, I was given a gift to purchase a new house in SD but I need your help.

I need to know which is the better area (section) in SD since there are different areas but I am not sure where which one is the best to live and which is safe, walkable to shoppings, doctors, hosptials, etc.

I looked at InDominicana.com - Bienes raices en Republica Dominicana - compre y alquile propiedades and was 'wowed' by the house search, most are $500,000 or higher. Does these houses are located in the nactional that has water, electricty, phone 24/7 not like outside of the nactional? What about taxes? and all that?

I need to know better if its a worth investment for me. Any advices and tips is appreciated.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
I need to know better if its a worth investment for me. Any advices and tips is appreciated.

I'll hazard a guess it's not a great investment if you have to ask other what it is like and where you need to live. Hold on to the cash and make a serious investment when you know you want to live somewhere. You seem to be going about it backwards, love somewhere then buy, not vice versa, recipe for depression.

You do know property is only a good and healthy investment if you know what you are doing, buying property does not generate profit or happiness otherwise.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Robert is spot on! I happen to have a friend that works at SuperCasas, its located in a Mall on Churchill. I can give you her number if you like, but will you be here?? I suggest going to see the area regardless of what you're advised.And be sure to check on the water in said area, may have problems with no water at times. Also keep in mind, SD usually goes dark for 5 hours a day, you will need an inversol/Inverter, battery back up..Info on that can be found here on site as well, just search for it..

Let me know

Anthony

Look at old threads or use the search, better areas have been covered 100's of times.

Look at SuperCasas, it's the best site for Santo Domingo: SuperCasas.com Republica Dominicana venta de casas, apartamentos, villas - Bienes Raices Dominicana

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Robert is spot on! I happen to have a friend that works at SuperCasas, its located in a Mall on Churchill. I can give you her number if you like, but will you be here?? I suggest going to see the area regardless of what you're advised.And be sure to check on the water in said area, may have problems with no water at times. Also keep in mind, SD usually goes dark for 5 hours a day, you will need an inversol/Inverter, battery back up..Info on that can be found here on site as well, just search for it..

Let me know

Anthony

I am aware about the electricty issues and that is where my fiances family lives. I am talking about inside the city near Agora, Blue Mall, etc and in that area, I will have elecricty and water 24/7 unless I'm wrong. If that so, do I still need inversol/inverter anyway? Also the water system is that good in that area too?

The website supercasas, I cant use it because its all in spanish, thats why I use indominicana.com cuz its in english.

Hmmm

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Miami,

First, welcome to DR1!

I'd recommend renting out there, and spending some time getting to know the city. There are many areas, some good, some not so much, but what is paradise for one person may be purgatory for another. It is incredibly easy to buy property in DR, much more challenging to sell it.

Do you have to buy/build in SD? DR is full of great options, and if you leave the capital, you'll find your money will go much further.

Either way, take your time, and only buy when it feels right.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Agree, you need to come and spend sometime in the area prior to buying. Sometimes what seems a "good area" in the end may not be. You should learn the area, negatives and positives prior to buying. Buying property can be difficult here or anywhere for that matter, but selling a property here (if bought in haste) can be a nightmare.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Agree, you need to come and spend sometime in the area prior to buying. Sometimes what seems a "good area" in the end may not be. You should learn the area, negatives and positives prior to buying. Buying property can be difficult here or anywhere for that matter, but selling a property here (if bought in haste) can be a nightmare.

Thanks for the tip. I was in DR for whole summer and also recently few months while visting my fiancee in SD. I know at least 50% about the area but yes I shall come more often, maybe rent a apartment and stay at least 6 months or so.

Someone told me yesterday they had 5 hour blackout, what happened?

Thanks for the tip. I was in DR for whole summer and also recently few months while visting my fiancee in SD. I know at least 50% about the area but yes I shall come more often, maybe rent a apartment and stay at least 6 months or so.

Someone told me yesterday they had 5 hour blackout, what happened?

I have no idea what goes on in areas of SD but I live near Cabarete and get about 12 hours of street power a day (give or take a few hours) the rest our 2 Inversors with 20 batteries power the house!

Power can be a nightmare in this Country!

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
There has passed approximately 30 years , that the electricity , hasnt been dealt with ,so just be sure when you purchase you have infact rented in the area min. 6 mo. - a year, So you can atleast say if u screw up , that you did some homework !!!!

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I personally did not experience the blackout your speaking off but I am sure it happened, it does everyday. That is why it is important to live here for a bit and experience it. Some may tell you when and if you buy a property that "no blackouts there" and then first night your there, damn a blackout...Some areas are better than others but the electric problem is all over the country.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Guy" in the DR, a "Fool And His Money Are SOON Parted"!!!!!
You, may, or may not, be a "Fool", but you seem to know, "Little To Nothing" about the DR!
I'll bet your "Novia" has already told you about what a great investment buying a house in SD is!!!
It Ain't"!
Not now, maybe NEVER!!!
You will be lead like a "Lamb To The Slaughter" here.
EVERY Dominican you will meet will be your "Mejor Amigo".
Right up until they steal your money.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
"Guy" in the DR, a "Fool And His Money Are SOON Parted"!!!!!
You, may, or may not, be a "Fool", but you seem to know, "Little To Nothing" about the DR!
I'll bet your "Novia" has already told you about what a great investment buying a house in SD is!!!
It Ain't"!
Not now, maybe NEVER!!!
You will be lead like a "Lamb To The Slaughter" here.
EVERY Dominican you will meet will be your "Mejor Amigo".
Right up until they steal your money.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Really? I laughed at this one. I know pretty much about DR becuase my finacees family live in north SD and they usually get electric at times. If I remember, they get at this times: 9am to 130pm then 530pm to 930pm then 1230am to 5am then repeat at 9am .... The other hours, thats the blackout.

I guess DR has long way to go to have 24/7 electric everywhere. My fiancees dad and 2 brothers owns a small supermarket and they pay $20,000 peso a mo and still didnt get 24/7 electric and they say DR is ROBBING them.. LoL

My longest experience, 5 days no power and the invetor ran out and we had to use candles and we use gas stove to cook... It was PAIN in the ass, why? it was during the summer time!!! I HATED it!

Look, I love DR for few reasons:

1) Food is awesome
2) Weather is the best
3) Beaches is amazing
4) I have amazing fiancee and my new daughter
5) Her family is amazing! I get free food in the supermarket, jajaj

Otherwise, DR has one big issue: Electric issues

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
Would you still live in the DR, if your fiancee and new daughter were out of the picture?

Really? I laughed at this one. I know pretty much about DR becuase my finacees family live in north SD and they usually get electric at times. If I remember, they get at this times: 9am to 130pm then 530pm to 930pm then 1230am to 5am then repeat at 9am .... The other hours, thats the blackout.

I guess DR has long way to go to have 24/7 electric everywhere. My fiancees dad and 2 brothers owns a small supermarket and they pay $20,000 peso a mo and still didnt get 24/7 electric and they say DR is ROBBING them.. LoL

My longest experience, 5 days no power and the invetor ran out and we had to use candles and we use gas stove to cook... It was PAIN in the ass, why? it was during the summer time!!! I HATED it!

1) Food is awesome
2) Weather is the best
3) Beaches is amazing

DR has a lot more than 1 BIG ISSUE!!!

You seem like a nice guy. Nice people like you and I get f&cked over here!
BE CAREFUL!!!!
I practice my yelling at people and I always want to say sorry after!!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012

1) Food is awesome
2) Weather is the best
3) Beaches is amazing

Small supermarkets are called colmados.;)

Yes, the light schedule for most of the barrios is like the one you listed in SD.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Small supermarkets are called colmados.;)

Yes, the light schedule for most of the barrios is like the one you listed in SD.

jeje that was the word I was looking for... When I was in DR on vacation, I work in the colmados and it was fun, esp dealing with money (pesos) god, they are costly. I miss USD dollars :D

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"DRGUY", .."And This TOO Shall Pass"!
You are still in the "I Love Everything About The DR',......"PHASE".
I compare living in the DR, to going "Camping"".
For about one week, it's,...."So Cool".
Second week, "Not So Much".
And after the third week it's, What was I thinking of???
Get me the "F*#K out of this place!
And that's before the "Bears" ransack your campsite,bite the $HIT out of you, and steal all your "Gear"!!!!
Don't worry, the "Wannabe a Dominicano" phase won't last more than 6 months!
Those who just visit here a few weeks a year,sometimes never get out of "Phase One"!
Always remember that, "Visiting the DR", just like going "Camping" for a while, is "NOT Living In The DR"!
I STILL like living here, even after 18 years!
But then I extended my "Tour" in Vietnam, 3 times!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
To much good "PU$$Y" can ruin your good judgement!