Lazy

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
For some strange reason I often feel moved to use the word "lazy" in the DR.

My large Collins dictionary suggests "holgazan" or "perezoso" but I have not had much success with either of those here. Either they are not understood or mean something different.

The consensus among some Dominicans was a word something like "aragan" but they couldn't spell it and I cannot find it in my dictionary.

Any ideas?

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
For some strange reason I often feel moved to use the word "lazy" in the DR.

My large Collins dictionary suggests "holgazan" or "perezoso" but I have not had much success with either of those here. Either they are not understood or mean something different.

The consensus among some Dominicans was a word something like "aragan" but they couldn't spell it and I cannot find it in my dictionary.

Any ideas?

It's actually spelled "harag?n". Of course, the Dominican slang being what it is, there are some people pronouncing it as jaragan.

grumpy

Sep 22, 2013
We sometimes say "mas flojo que mierda de pato" to give it a bit more emphasis.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've only heard flojo used when business is slow.... someone who is slow isn't necessarily lazy.

How about holgaz?n?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Harag?n (pronunciated Jarag?n) is the most common word by far, but flojo is also used.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i always use flojo. but mas flojo que mierda de pato seems to hold a lot more appeal.