Claro, why do you make it so hard?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I've had the Claro Multiplan for a few months now and am very happy with it. I mostly care about the internet and have been getting consistent 7Mbps download speeds with virtually no outages. TV service is fine (I rarely watch TV but my partner seems to enjoy it). Don't use the landline phone but it works.

That said, I decided I would finally switch my prepay iPhone to a post-paid plan. (Actually 3 iPhones.) I went to the Claro office to add the phones to my account and they insist I have to go through the entire application process: pay stubs from my work, bank statements, etc. I gave the girl my most incredulous look all the while explaining I already have an account with Claro but she just looked at me with her dopey look and started blabbing on about the system this and the system that... I just cut her off short and walked out.

I don't know why I allow myself to get upset of this stuff. I should know after 5 years that nothing is ever simple in this damn place.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Go to a different Claro office and try again. No two are alike in rules.

Go to a different Claro office and try again. No two are alike in rules.

Very true! I couldn't believe the amount of info they wanted just for a cell plan! After a few times going I just gave up and got prepaid with Claro.
When i bought a new Iphone here b.c the other phone crapped out I just switched to Orange and they didn't really want much info for the monthly plan. I am sure if I kept checking out diff Claro's i would have found a place that didn't want my first born!

Such a frustrating experience!

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I hated Claro when I almost bought a iPhone for my fiancee and they wanted me to pay $27,000 upfront plus $5000 deposit. I was like, "What?, are you kidding me? You're charging me because I am American and your trying to rob me?" and the lady choked and said no, that what Claro system says and also she asked me to provided papers like InsanelyOne says and I told her "Kiss My Ass" and left and went to Orange. Afterwards, Orange setup the account within minutes without no problems and I'm happy.

Do NOT ever do business with Claro!

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Just signed for a Tricom version of the multiplan (postpaid) yesterday and had it all installed this morning. No work stubs, no references, no cedula, no bank statements, no deposit or installation fees.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
VJS: I would have gone with Tricom but it wasn't available (however I do have their WiMAX internet service). Tricom uses CDMA not GSM so I can't use them with my iPhone. I'm hesitant to switch to Orange since they seem to have awful service here in the east. My parents had their 3G internet service and it never worked. Worse than dialup when it did work.

I'm going to go to the main Claro office in Veron and give it one more try. The only problem there is the queues...typically takes a couple of hours to get in and out.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Yes. I've got it all!!! Residency, Cedula, DR Driver's License. They still treat me like I just washed up on shore with no papers.

Speaking of which. Everywhere I go they are truly astonished that I have a cedula and DR license. On one hand they expect you to have a cedula to get anything accomplished and on the other hand they are so surprised when you actually have one.

Beach Pilot

Feb 22, 2011
hey, sounds like racial profiling to me. You might want to contact Al and Jesse in the US, as they are really down on this stuff.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Yes. I've got it all!!! Residency, Cedula, DR Driver's License. They still treat me like I just washed up on shore with no papers.

Speaking of which. Everywhere I go they are truly astonished that I have a cedula and DR license. On one hand they expect you to have a cedula to get anything accomplished and on the other hand they are so surprised when you actually have one.

Weird. Was your cedula issued recently?. There is a recurring problem with the stupid credit bureau that goes like this: they are supposed to get the updated list of cedulas from JCE (la junta) with some frecuency, but that of course is not free as the JCE charges for that database. So, the stupid credit bureau decided they are not paying JCE but once a year, so their database is only updated once a year, and anybody who got their first cedula during that year will have to wait. They do say they can "help you" if you go to the JCE and get a cedula "certificate" (RD$200) and then bring that to the credit bureau. Of course they will charge you (RD$ 1,500) to include you. Something must be done about these credit bureaus or at least about all the companies that submit themselves to what the credit bureaus say. It is outrageous.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Weird. Was your cedula issued recently?. There is a recurring problem with the stupid credit bureau that goes like this: they are supposed to get the updated list of cedulas from JCE (la junta) with some frecuency, but that of course is not free as the JCE charges for that database. So, the stupid credit bureau decided they are not paying JCE but once a year, so their database is only updated once a year, and anybody who got their first cedula during that year will have to wait. They do say they can "help you" if you go to the JCE and get a cedula "certificate" (RD$200) and then bring that to the credit bureau. Of course they will charge you (RD$ 1,500) to include you. Something must be done about these credit bureaus or at least about all the companies that submit themselves to what the credit bureaus say. It is outrageous.

I've had my cedula over a year. What's so stupid is that I'm an established customer of Claro so why the hell do they have to go through the entire application process all over again. Makes no sense.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I've had my cedula over a year. What's so stupid is that I'm an established customer of Claro so why the hell do they have to go through the entire application process all over again. Makes no sense.

Yeah, I know. Fixed, wired services are always easier to get than mobile. Go figure.

KATIEJAY

Aug 20, 2007
I've had the Claro Multiplan for a few months now and am very happy with it. I mostly care about the internet and have been getting consistent 7Mbps download speeds with virtually no outages. TV service is fine (I rarely watch TV but my partner seems to enjoy it). Don't use the landline phone but it works.

That said, I decided I would finally switch my prepay iPhone to a post-paid plan. (Actually 3 iPhones.) I went to the Claro office to add the phones to my account and they insist I have to go through the entire application process: pay stubs from my work, bank statements, etc. I gave the girl my most incredulous look all the while explaining I already have an account with Claro but she just looked at me with her dopey look and started blabbing on about the system this and the system that... I just cut her off short and walked out.

I don't know why I allow myself to get upset of this stuff. I should know after 5 years that nothing is ever simple in this damn place.

I have had a similarly frustrating experience with Claro..no Cedula as yet..application in and now the waiting. A few months I am told ( closer to 6! as friends here found out) signed up for a plan with my Canadian Passport..first issue I cannot get a package with cable as I don't have a Cedula!! Weird but okay..I will get Puerto Plata Cable as they have the channels I watch..About 6 weeks and as many trips!! I am told the phone plan they set me up with does not allow Canadian calls????!!!WTF!! Did my Canadian Passport not give you a clue. So 3 calls /2 visits later I finally find out the ONLY way I can have Canadian sErvice is their "Postpaid" plan?? oh but you cannot have this without?? Credit reference..letter from ?? Western Union?? something showing my ?? pension $$$ Are you kidding me?? all this to call Canada..and I have already paid a bill and have another due!! Try getting money back??? what do you think??!! Thank god for MagicJacks!!! Well I am consoled with the fact that I can call Puerto Rico & US..LOL !! Anyone like me to call their family..friends???
I love this country!!!