Spending new year 's eve in the campo

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Not sure what to expect , but this year I ll be spending new Year's eve up in the hills of el Limon near Santiago... I think they have about four colmados and one outdoor discoteque.... they tell me things get wild, but I can only imagine it s safer than in the cities where I hear things get a bit bananas with drivers ( a bit like amateur night here in NY I guess). I am sure it will be safer on the loma where they all walk or ride scooters.....should I bring party stuff like in NY ? noisemakers, hats , etc,, or is it more of a brugal and beer night...? either way is ok by me...any suggestions of how to make it a great night in the campo?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
and the partying does not start until after midnight, when the family stuff is over.

True. This will be our first New Year's Eve in DR since my suegra died. The entire family was always at her house, an amazing buffet set up for about 40 people, all the grandkids there. Everyone, even the party generation, stayed until midnight, and then "they" headed out to meet their friends. The "rest of us" would clean up and go collapse in bed. :eek:

This year I expect we'll stay home, probably just the two of us, see the New Year in and then see for the first time how our neighbors celebrate. A lot will depend on whether there is electricity or not - most of them don't have inverters, so no luz usually means peace and quiet.

Damn, I just re-read this, I'm getting old. Maybe already got old.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I'd would forgo the party hats, just bring a gallon of Brugal.

And wear a Go-Pro video cam and transmit live for those of us that are staying on our couches.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
AE -- re "Old"

I don't even watch the ball drop in Times Square any more...... really old..

I am sound asleep by midnite...... I can hear my girls whooping it up.

somebody has to get up / make breakfast, pour Bloody Mary's, Mimosas.

I tell them to to think of football (US)... the kick-off man (even if it was Cooper) is rarely the guy who catches that kick.
Can't do both.... start early, finish late ------- pick your poison:dead: