When does a woman transition from se?orita to se?ora?

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I am not referring to marital status. I am referring to clerks in stores or women one doesn't personally know. In English in the US "miss" is considered dismissive by some. I read an article a few years ago that in the EU parliament "miss" and it's linguistic equivelants were a topic of legislation. Not sure if the ban on the word took place. Is there a Dominican Spanish equivelant for Ms.? Today I referred to a clerk in a store, over thirty, maybe around forty as Se?ora. She corrected to say se?orita. I know that a woman "of a certain age" is referred to as Se?ora, regardless of social status.

To add the mix, several Haitian women I have conversed with seemed to be insulted by mademoiselle and told I should say Madame.

Any thoughts or comments.

Dv8 and alter ego, I am especially interested to hear your perspectives.

Thanks all.

Last edited:

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
I call all women senora, if they are in fact a senorita, and want you to know that, they will correct you.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Senorita I'm in trouble again and I can't get free ( Senoritaaaaaaa) Your exactly what the Doctor ordered come and talk to me...Senorita sounds better..;) I never use the above, should I?? If in a market and want to pass, I just say permiso..However, I would think Monfon, just like with any woman, you should be able to determine how to address the female age wise, just take a shot and see if a correction is mentioned..In the States, pretty easy, look at the ring finger..Here, seems nobody has one..Best advice I can give you..

Anthony

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You magically become a 'do?a' or a 'se?ora' once you are married or officially shacked up, no matter how young or old you are.

Technically, if you don't get married or have kids you are forever a "se?orita" but in reality the change happens somewhere in your mid-late 30s whether you like it or not. People will start calling you se?ora or do?a.

'Se?orita' is also used to describe a girl who has entered puberty. "Ya es se?orita."

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
And for French, we usually call Madame any woman over 25, it's a question of respect. Mademoiselle is outdated. Of course, if the woman has a child, even if she is 18, she is called Madame...

That's from Qu?bec French. I cannot speak for France French... :p

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
To add the mix, several Haitian women I have conversed with seemed to be insulted by mademoiselle and told I should say Madame.

i also call everyone "miamoL" unless they are a visibly old bat and i am in particularly good mood when i can drop a "do?a" at someone. after years and years of using polish language (quite formal) i appreciated informality of english directing everyone as "you". therefore while i understand that in spanish a formal "usted" exist i pi** on it like ray j. it's "tu" all the way for me.

as far as "madame", i was recently told the meaning of the word was reduced to "brothel mama". really sad, cause i like "ma'am"... i blame heidi fleiss.

grumpy

Sep 22, 2013
You become a "se?ora" when you get married. The day before my wedding I was crossing the street and some guy yelled "muevase, se?ora!" and I chased him down the street yelling "se?ora no, se?orita!!!!!!!!!!!!"

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
I am not referring to marital status. I am referring to clerks in stores or women one doesn't personally know. In English in the US "miss" is considered dismissive by some. I read an article a few years ago that in the EU parliament "miss" and it's linguistic equivelants were a topic of legislation. Not sure if the ban on the word took place. Is there a Dominican Spanish equivelant for Ms.? Today I referred to a clerk in a store, over thirty, maybe around forty as Se?ora. She corrected to say se?orita. I know that a woman "of a certain age" is referred to as Se?ora, regardless of social status.

Any thoughts or comments.

Thanks all.

Well, a few women in the DR told me that WOMEN IN THE DR NEVER HAVE HUSBANDS. Basically, they do not have single man. Maybe, that is y they never want to be called SENORA! You are kidding me! Someone over 40 does not want to be called SENORA? Really! Wow

PS. In terms of haitians, MADAME is more respectful. Yes, it makes more sense

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think you're right.... Novio and esposo are interchangeable to some

I know one who lays claim to three esposos, has three children but is unattached now.

She insists on 'Senorita'... yes, over 40

Maybe we need to re-address the address ---

Senorita senora, oR Senora senorita......

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I just tried to get an explaination from my senora......normally a woman over 30 is senora.......under 30 if you don't know her cercumstances you could call "joven" if you know then call her senorita if single and senora if she has a man. My stepson says not to call them anything or they might think you are interested in them.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
And for French, we usually call Madame any woman over 25, it's a question of respect. Mademoiselle is outdated. Of course, if the woman has a child, even if she is 18, she is called Madame...

That's from Qu?bec French. I cannot speak for France French... :p

Pretty much the same (I would place the cut off at 30 though). Except a young woman (child or not) would be called Mademoiselle unless she appears to be married. Technically, Madame is for married women, but if you don't know the marital status it is mademoiselle, unless she is of a certain age. Complicated enough? LOL

As for me, Belle Madame would do :)

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
A senorita is a virgin. A female up to maybe 20 (For sure not a virgin) can also be called senorita. Amol, chica can also be used.
Senora from 20 on and donia if affluent or rich or older than you i.e. 50+

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This is a tough question. I judge each woman individually, and maybe it's different woman-to-woman than for the OP. Maybe if I say it, they don't comment, maybe if a man does she will correct him so he knows she's a senorita [aka "available" in case he's interested].

Mr. AE just told me about an "old woman, between 70 & 80" who lived in his neighborhood when he was a boy. She had never married, and God help the person who addressed her as Senora. She was a senorita!!!

And like Eddy said, if a woman is older than me, I often address her as Dona as a sign of respect, even if she is poor as dirt. Of course, the older I get the less of them there are, LOL!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
This is a tough question. I judge each woman individually, and maybe it's different woman-to-woman than for the OP. Maybe if I say it, they don't comment, maybe if a man does she will correct him so he knows she's a senorita [aka "available" in case he's interested].

Mr. AE just told me about an "old woman, between 70 & 80" who lived in his neighborhood when he was a boy. She had never married, and God help the person who addressed her as Senora. She was a senorita!!!

And like Eddy said, if a woman is older than me, I often address her as Dona as a sign of respect, even if she is poor as dirt. Of course, the older I get the less of them there are, LOL!
Sorry hit the wrong button. I like....
They've been calling me Don for years. And for sure I'm not rich. ;) Must be old then.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Unless she is a definitely older lady, I would call them "Se?orita". Even if they are not, at least they will feel flattered.