Making a curry from scratch from Dominican stores, impossible!

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Can anyone tell me how to make a nice curry from scratch using easy to find ingredients from everyday stores. It took me 2 months to find a jar of chilli here, and so when I want a curry I either have to wait till I find an adventurous supermarket and buy in a can, or get very very lucky. To buy the ingredients to make one from scratch I would need to visit maybe 6 different stores in order to find the ingredients.

Thread inspired by the other rice thread, got my taste buds going, now I fancy a curry with popadoms and nan bread.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I now have all the spices and make many different curries but the simple way until you have everything is to buy a tin of curry powder (available in most supermarkets) then search some recipies on You Tube to find one that takes your fancy!

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Here's my chicken madras recipe.
To make the paste; 2 tbl spoons ground corrianda, 1 tbl spoon ground cumin, 1 tea spoon turmeric, 1 tea spoon chilli powder, 1/2 tea spoon ground black pepper, 2 grated cloves garlic, 1 tbl spoon grated fresh ginger, 2 1/2 tbl spoons lemon juice. Mix it all in a bowl with enough olive oil to form a paste and set aside.

To make the curry; Heat a couple of tbl spoons of olivle oil in a pan, add the curry paste to the oil and heat until it smells yummy, add a diced chicken breast and keep stiring, cook until the chicken is properly cooked, stir in 2 tble spoons of tomato paste, add a cup of chicken stock (at this point you can add some veggies if you wish) and bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve with basmati rice.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I have to bring my own garam masala, cardamon pods, fenugreek and mustard seeds, lime pickle - even dessicated coconut - from home but the rest of the ingredients can be found here, as listed in Black Dog's post. I'd use a vegetable oil rather than olive oil for curry though.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I know, I'm just an olive oil freak! You can get lime pickle in Playero but it's pricey, you can also get dessicated coconut there. As you say for the others I bring them over.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Lime pickle? Any generous soul fancy sending me a couple of jars via Metropac? I can pay via paypal or deposit into a DR bank account.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
I have to bring my own garam masala, cardamon pods, fenugreek and mustard seeds, lime pickle - even dessicated coconut - from home but the rest of the ingredients can be found here, as listed in Black Dog's post. I'd use a vegetable oil rather than olive oil for curry though.

Garam masala, cardamon pods, fenugreek and mustard seeds, lime pickle, mango pickle, and practically everything you need for Indo-Pak food, as well as almost everything for Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Indonesian, Thai cuisine, including Tingtsao beer, can be obtained at the Asiatico Supermarket in Santo Domingo (27 de Febrero/Privada), Levantine herbs and spices - even za'atar and sumac are on sale in the Lebanese shop on Romulo Betancourt/Bohechio. More Chinese kitchen requirements of all kinds - ingredients and equipment - further west on the other side of la Romulo at the Wah Sen Supermarket (opposite Burger King)....anything you can't find there you'll find in the Barrio Chino on Avenida Duarte but shop around before you purchase in Chinatown because every store there has wildly differing prices for similar items.....Enjoy!!

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Aside from having what you need, "Shipped In", when you see something you need in the Super Market here, buy all of it!!!!!
When a Dominican store gets a supply of anything, and especially imported stuff, that sells out in a week, that's it!
You may NEVER see that item again!
They think, "Wow, It all gone already"????
"I don't want any more of THAT, too much work unloading the truck, then stocking the shelves many. many times, more work for the cashiers, and on top of all THAT, I'll have to place another order"!!!!!
"Presidente" y "Dominos" anyone?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Caz

May 15, 2004
Thanks for that recipe Abuela - much quicker to make than mine which needs marinating for 28 days! I will try it as soon as I get more limes.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic

garam masala also in playero, in the small packets of spice section. Desiccated coconut is like 200 pesos and the unsweetened coconut is about 160 pesos (in the chinese section)

Playero rocks........they have nearly everything.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
There is an "Asiatico" supermarket on 27th Feb casi esq. Privada. They have all this stuff, even some small Chinese markets have it also, Betancourt in Bella Vista is one.
Obviously Im speaking of SD

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Garam masala, cardamon pods, fenugreek and mustard seeds, lime pickle, mango pickle, and practically everything you need for Indo-Pak food, as well as almost everything for Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Indonesian, Thai cuisine, including Tingtsao beer, can be obtained at the Asiatico Supermarket in Santo Domingo (27 de Febrero/Privada), Levantine herbs and spices - even za'atar and sumac are on sale in the Lebanese shop on Romulo Betancourt/Bohechio. More Chinese kitchen requirements of all kinds - ingredients and equipment - further west on the other side of la Romulo at the Wah Sen Supermarket (opposite Burger King)....anything you can't find there you'll find in the Barrio Chino on Avenida Duarte but shop around before you purchase in Chinatown because every store there has wildly differing prices for similar items.....Enjoy!!
Thanks Bryan, when I lived in SD Asiatico was my lifeline but I never found my beloved lime pickle there.

I don't know the Lebanese shop you mentioned, so I'll have to pay a visit next time I'm in the city. The Lebanese deli I know and love is L'epicier De L'Orient

https://www.facebook.com/LEpicierDeLOrient

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I might have to, if no offers are forthcoming :) It does look easier than I expected and I have all the ingredients.

Chiri, let me check in an hour or so, whether they have it, and if they do I am more than willing to send you what you want

BelgianK